Fajita meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
    I have had fajitas in lots of restaurants and love them, why do they make them out of such a cheap cut.
    Tradition. Back in the early 1900's when a steer was butchered Mexican workers would get the least desirable cuts as a part of their wages. The skirt was one of the cuts. Faja translates to belt. As BoB and others mentioned above the history is kind of lost and everything sliced on a tortilla is fajita.

Comment

Agree with the HEB fajitas being hard to beat. Cooked some unseasoned skirt steak this past weekend with a highly recommended marinade and wasn’t impressed. I’ll continue to let HEB do the marinating from now on
      Last edited by Jcjohnson; 05-28-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
        Has anyone done fajitas with ribeye or better meat than most are made of?
        My wife picked some up from a recommended restaurant on her way home from work yesterday that were inedible. They tasted fine, but you could chew on a 1/2" piece for 5 mins and couldn't reduce it enough to swallow. It just kept getting bigger. If it hadn't have been so far back to the restaurant and so late we would have returned it.
        I have had fajitas in lots of restaurants and love them, why do they make them out of such a cheap cut. I may have just answered my question.

I have used venison several times for fajitas, and I think the fajita marinade works well with venison. Just don't have any venison in the freezer.
        If it ain't skirt steak, it ain't fajitas. Fajita refers to the cut of meat. Other cuts prepared in the same way are typically called carne asada.

Comment

Skirt steak tenderized with ragin blaze that’s hard to beat!

Comment

I use Ribeyes all the time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
              It was probably not cut correctly. If you do not cut skirt against the grain, it is extremely tough. The other possibility is over cooked.

It was cut across the grain correctly, it seemed to have a membrane in it that defied our teeth. I looked at it trying to figure if it was off grain.
              Smoked a brisket for a BIL once that he cut with the grain. It was inedible, but not like this. I will admit, I like my brisket cooked til its tender. I don't like to burn more calories eating something than I am going to get out of it.

I am serious about venison for fajitas, one of the few ways I like venison.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                La michocana has the best fajita meat I’ve had. Grab some tablatas while you’re there too
                yup, all of this, the marinated chicken there is amazing too.

Comment

La michocana has the best fajita meat I’ve had. Grab some tablatas while you’re there too
                  Yep. This is good stuff

Comment

We very rarely use skirt steak. Hard to justify $8lb for that when you can catch ribeyes or ny strips on sale for less than $5lb

Comment

Is that the place off camp Bowie?

Comment

La Michoacana is our go to when it comes to fajitas. We always get the marinaded ones (red marinade) and the wife "cleans" them up even though they are already clean. The photo is what they look like after she cleans them. You want to remove as much of the membrane as you can cause the membrane is super tough. They also have fajitas Nortenas from time to time which are made from the hanging tender. These are great but they do have a slightly different taste to them.

When grilling fajitas I tend to go by what they look like. I grill them a couple of minuets per side. When one side looks good enough to eat I flip it and when the other side looks good enough to eat they are done. You don't want to over cook them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
                          Is that the place off camp Bowie?
                          It’s a chain Mexican grocery store. Most have a little counter/restaurant in them too and dang it’s good. I do believe there is one off camp Bowie

Comment

I’m thinking of mi Tierra. If you haven’t been there check it out.

Comment

In the rgv there is several carnicerias that have awesome sirloin fajitas Aguilars meat market, veras meat market and zarahs are **** good just to name a few

Comment

I was in Florida a few years back and found a place that had fajita meat on sale... It was $16.00/lbs I believe I will be trucking fajita meat to Florida when I retire.

Comment

Working...
                                X