Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Melvin TX
Question School me on hog trap door.

Gonna build a hog trap from cattle panels. I searched but didnít find any clear ideas on a trigger for the door. Any positive suggestions are appreciated, if possible please include pics. I thought I would buy one but the Monarch fabrication place near me closed.
Thanks
Bert
BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
JMAR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDraw View Post
Gonna build a hog trap from cattle panels. I searched but didnít find any clear ideas on a trigger for the door. Any positive suggestions are appreciated, if possible please include pics. I thought I would buy one but the Monarch fabrication place near me closed.

Thanks

Bert

Bert search figure 6 hog trap!
Itís a push in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMAR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Are you wanting to build a box style trap? Or use t-post with the cattle panels for a pen type trap?

There are drop style/guillotine doors, saloon style doors (both single and double), and swing-down doors in single, double, and triple pending trap size. A lot depends on the type of trap you want to construct.

There is also the circle 6 trap that doesn't have a so called "trap door". It's made from just cattle panels and t-post.

Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

What kind?

Sallon doors work ok, but they will trap deer.

Root up flip doors work well enough but little ones can't flip it.

Drop gates only trap the ones in it and won't allow more.

IMO, Most gates are not big enough. They are too narrow to allow a hog to comfortably pass through.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAR View Post
Bert search figure 6 hog trap!
Itís a push in type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I build . I use 6 or 8 panels .
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
BigDraw
Ten Point

My north has a huge hog population that hits it every day, my thoughts were 3 cattle panels per side, feeder located on one corner so it throw inside and out. During deer season I would close the door so no pigs inside, but would feed on corn outside. Leave door open during off season so pigs can go in to be trapped. I would rig door to fall when I’m thereto set and harvest.
Thoughts on that plan?
Thanks
Bert
Old 01-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I've found it works better with a bunch of corn . Deer feeder wont put out enough corn for the trap.. dont build it with square corners they will hit the corners trying to run through it... make a circle .
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDraw View Post
My north has a huge hog population that hits it every day, my thoughts were 3 cattle panels per side, feeder located on one corner so it throw inside and out. During deer season I would close the door so no pigs inside, but would feed on corn outside. Leave door open during off season so pigs can go in to be trapped. I would rig door to fall when Iím thereto set and harvest.
Thoughts on that plan?
Thanks
Bert
I found that my plans and the hogs' plans didn't often coincide, you just have to try something until you get lucky.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
sp-bow
Four Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Go to YouTube and search figure 6 hog trap. You will find a bunch of videos there. Build one for a lady that had a problem with hogs. Work like a champ problem solved.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I have a cattle panel that is bent under pressure around t-posts for a door. I have a simple loop around the panel/door and a t-post with a pin in the loop. The pin is tied to 1 end and stretches across the pen to the other side and tied to another t-post. It is about 14 inches off the ground. A pig will walk into it and this will pull the pin from the loop and the door slams shut. Pigs can still push into the door but they can't get out. This opening is chained top and bottom to another t-post so it can't be pushed out or up. I use a circle 6 design. I also have a piece of PVC pipe at the end of the panel at the door opening so the door does not hang up on anything.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
drs
Six Point

Hunt In: salado

I use a figure 6 panel teapot and use a piece of wood to prop it open about 3/4 way up the panel with a trip wire in the back works great just dont make it to big cause they will blow through the panels
drs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Here's one of my traps--both have the same door style which is the one I like best and have had the most success with. Both traps have a feeder inside too.

My trigger is a rope stretched across from side to side behind the feeder across from the door, with a rope tied to it that leads to a wire hook at the gate that holds the door open. When they root against the back rope, it pulls the hook off the door, door closes, and you got 'em. There are 2 t-posts inside, one on either side of the gate with a wire strung between them that holds the hook.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Nice
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
BigDraw
Ten Point

Thanks for the input gents
Old 02-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
I have a cattle panel that is bent under pressure around t-posts for a door. I have a simple loop around the panel/door and a t-post with a pin in the loop. The pin is tied to 1 end and stretches across the pen to the other side and tied to another t-post. It is about 14 inches off the ground. A pig will walk into it and this will pull the pin from the loop and the door slams shut. Pigs can still push into the door but they can't get out. This opening is chained top and bottom to another t-post so it can't be pushed out or up. I use a circle 6 design. I also have a piece of PVC pipe at the end of the panel at the door opening so the door does not hang up on anything.
Any pics of the PVC? I always try to clean up the dirt and grass so the door wont hang up. I also raised the door panel one notch on the t post to give a bit of clearance.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
kmack
Six Point

Hunt In: Comfort & Leakey

Picking up an older thread here, but wanted to add a setup that we finished this past weekend.

Pen is roughly 35' in diameter, feeder is slightly back of center, gate opening is 7'-10" x 3'-0, trip wire runs underneath the feeder @ 12" high and is spring loaded onto a pin holding the cable that is attached to the gate. Trip wire pull is about 4 lbs (roughly measured, but takes hardly any movement to trip) 2 bolts slide into the gate guide to hold the gate up when feeding.

Currently, we have about $95 into this pen, but's only because this pen was a previous deer setup and everything we needed, we pretty much scrounged from the property!

If the video link works, it shows the gate in action.
(bare with me, I'm getting the video link to work....)

https://youtu.be/edWIe4C26Aw

Last edited by kmack; 03-18-2019 at 03:24 PM.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #17
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

Love the design Kmack! You have any closer photos of the spring loaded trigger?
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #18
Homer75
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

That gate looks great.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #19
kmack
Six Point

@Homer75, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
You have any closer photos of the spring loaded trigger?
I should have taken some, but we were in a hurry to get going home (I was already running late and she was mad!).

But I got the idea from this link: Mississippi State Univ Ext.

At the bottom of that page are 3 links to .pdf files. The Figure 1 & Figure 2 links show the trigger setup. The Figure 3 link shows a general idea of the pen layout.

We added the spring for additional tension and it made it a little easier to adjust the cable length for our setup.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #20
kmack
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
You have any closer photos of the spring loaded trigger?
Just following back up on your request...

3/32" cable holding the gate on an 800 lb-rated pulley. A little overkill, maybe, but it's what we had available!

Gate cable coming back to the trigger post...

Close-up of the gate cable with washer, and the trigger pin. The pin is nothing more than a 5/16" bolt with the threads cut off. Then a hole drilled into the head to attach the spring. We found that adding the spring allows some minor play in the trigger cable itself, so our length didn't have to be dead-on perfect (we can stretch it some...).

Trigger cable stretched out underneath the feeder. Pull is still estimated to be between 2-4 lbs. I'll bring out a scale next time we go out. I forgot it this time around. Trigger pin and cable is set about 8-10" off the ground.

Two hours after setting the trap gate this past Friday, we caught these two little 40 pounders!

Last edited by kmack; 05-20-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #21
bswift355
Four Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I too am very interested in this. So for the stationary trap like the figure 6 hog trap guys. How long does it generally take before the pigs get educated to the trap? I heard that if they smell old blood on the ground they would stop coming into a trap. What has been your experience?
bswift355 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

My trap is much like yours, but I use a different trigger. I like yours too, seems like it might trigger on smaller hogs than mine does. The tire is filled with soured corn and they have to root it forward to get all of it. Rooting it forward pulls the pin out that holds the gate up.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #23
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

It works !
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #24
kmack
Six Point

Nice!
I had seen the tire/corn setup for a trigger and really thought about using that initially. Glad to see it works well. We might try that on a 2nd setup later this year.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswift355 View Post
I too am very interested in this. So for the stationary trap like the figure 6 hog trap guys. How long does it generally take before the pigs get educated to the trap? I heard that if they smell old blood on the ground they would stop coming into a trap. What has been your experience?
Erected the trap in Post #12 in February and have caught 65 pigs since then, in 5 or 6 different episodes. Pulled the camera card this afternoon and the pigs were back in the trap the night after the last 10 were trapped/shot and without any rain to wash away the blood. In fact, you could see blood residue on the ground today, and camera showed pigs in the trap the last 3 nights.

So, guess I'm saying they aren't always skeered off by blood in the trap.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top