Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
ktex
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Cty, North TX
Default 270 with muzzlebreak question

I have the opportunity to buy a 270 with a muzzlebreak at great price. It's fixed not the screw on type. How much louder is it going to be? I practice with hearing protection but rarely use it in the field. Will I have to use hearing protection for 1 or 2 shots in a hunting situation?
ktex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

L o u d. You will need hearing protection
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktex View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a 270 with a muzzlebreak at great price. It's fixed not the screw on type. How much louder is it going to be? I practice with hearing protection but rarely use it in the field. Will I have to use hearing protection for 1 or 2 shots in a hunting situation?

I would recommend it. Hunting out of a 4x6 blind and shooting out of the opposite window with a .280 AI with a brake on it will make you wish you had heating protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

My dad’s 30-06 is ported and I made the mistake of shooting it once without hearing protection. My God it was loud. My ears rang for over an hour. I will never do that again.

My buddy has a .270 with a brake and he will not under any circumstances shoot it without hearing protection.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Could you cover the brake and just have the regular noise? Hearing protection is still recommended.
boy wonder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

It will be slightly quieter than an atomic bomb..... slightly

Wear ear protection
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

I probably should, but in a hunting situation I rarely notice mine. Now at the range, there’s no way I could shoot without ears on.
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

In my haste while exhausted from a all night sit in a Leopard blind I forgot my ear protection and fired a 300 Win Mag on a zebra in Africa and man that hurt. I dropped the zebra but it was hardly worth the pain and temporary deafness that followed.

I also forgot once and touched off a round from one of my 28 Noslers and it hurt bad. It’s not just a loud noise, it’s downright painful!

I did take a pronghorn with my 270 that has a muzzle break a few years ago without hearing protection and I don’t believe it was as bad as the magnums were but it’s still bad enough.

There’s no telling how much permanent hearing loss you suffer from doing that. Don’t do it.

Last edited by jeffpg; 03-23-2019 at 10:23 PM.
jeffpg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
ktex
Eight Point

I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ozona

I shot a 300WM with muzzlebreak on it a few years ago, I will not do it again. Ears were ringing for sometime, and I was in open field. I can imagine shooting one in a blind
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
Southernhunters
Nubbin' Buck

Itís noticeably louder than without the brake. For range situations you should always wear hearing protection regardless of what you are shooting! In the field I doubt youíll even notice the noise...I never do!

Southernhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Kids have a 270 and a 30-06 with brakes and they are brutal. I know this and carry and wear hearing protection.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #13
joevillars
Eight Point

300 win mag with a brake. It is brutally loud with out protection

joevillars is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

You may not notice shooting at an animal, but you will suffer damage. My dad had a .270 Vanguard with a muzzle brake, and you could set it on sandbags and shoot it, and the gun would move back 3 inches. That is without anything but a finger on the trigger. Very effective. He had it installed due to arthritis in his right shoulder.
I had a brake on a browning .300 winmag. With light bullets, it still had lots of recoil. but shoot 200gr or over, and the brake became very effective, seemed to me to kick like a .243.
I got over the heavy caliber bug for deer. Every single animal I shot with that gun ran. I recovered them all, but had to track several that got out of my sight. The worst was a turkey I shot right through the middle. I know this was unusual, and this is an animal stomping caliber, but I had bad luck with it.

Sorry for a little bit of post drift. You will really like the brake at the range. And if gets you shooting more, it will be worth it.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #15
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

You will need hear protection with a break but a 270 doesnít need a break unless for a small child.

Ditch the break!
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #16
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

All of my kids have grown up shooting a Remington 700 in 270 with a fixed muzzle break and it is terribly loud. It is wonderfully accurate with very little recoil but if you shoot it without ear protection you'll regret it.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #17
cashcropper
Ten Point

Same here ,youngest daughter has been shooting a 7MM since age 12. Very accurate with no recoil. Ear protection required. It will make your head hurt ,not just ring your ears but hurt.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #18
kkp005
Six Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Like others have said.....you will need ear pro any time you shoot it. I’ve got a browning 270 with a break and it’s loud.....especially if you don’t get the barrel wayyy out of a deer stand
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 AM   #19
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

Why a muzzle break on a .270?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 AM   #20
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
I canít speak for everyone else but the buddy I mentioned earlier has it for his 7 year old son. That kids a killer already.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #21
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I won't have a break on any rifle. I rather it kick the crap out of me than cause me to go deaf
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 AM   #22
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
I won't have a break on any rifle. I rather it kick the crap out of me than cause me to go deaf
x2
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The .270 I shot with a muzzle break on it wasn't too bad really. If you're standing off to the side it is but laying behind it wasn't bad at all.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #24
ktex
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
I don't really think its necessary either for a 270. In this case the owner was older had some physical disabilities.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #25
twdjr
Ten Point

As mentioned above you'll want hearing protection. Had a .270 built 20 something years ago and muzzle breaks were part of the package. I wish I would have never had it installed. I carry ear plugs when hunting with it.
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #26
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.

You will need hearing protection for sure. I wouldn't want a brake on a hunting rifle, especially something that is not removable.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #27
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

I have one on my .270 and don’t use hearing protection y’all need to toughen up
drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #28
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

I took the BOSS muzzle break off my Browning A-bolt 270 & itís by far more tolerable to shoot & still accurate
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Yes very loud. I installed one in my 308 and didnít wear ear protection the first time I used it afield. And well....... I thought I went deaf. Everything sounded muffled for a few hours. Wear the protection in the field if youíre using a break.

ďThere's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.Ē -Fred Bear-
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #30
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

I defer to you guys who know more about firearms than myself- I learn a lot on this TBH forum.

My experience with a 7mm Rem Mag Tikka Hunter (6+pounds) is a Sims AirTech recoil pad took all the recoil Ďpainí away. I shot 30 rounds wearing a t-shirt and my son was surprised my shoulder wasnít beat-up. I put one on my DILís 7mm Browning and she said itís a night and day improvement.

If youíre looking to reduce recoil, Iíd try that for $30. If youíre asking if you should purchase the rifle- thatís a different question.

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #31
RR 314
Ten Point

Cut and re-crown. If it is available at a “great price” as stated it makes sense.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #32
ktex
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Cut and re-crown. If it is available at a ďgreat priceĒ as stated it makes sense.
This is what I'm going to do.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #33
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Bunch of drama queens. While it’s smart to use hearing protection to prevent hearing loss it doesn’t “hurt” may ring a bit but never hurts. Had lots of shots out of 300rum, 300wm, and 6.5saum all with brakes. Never had plugs hunting and never hurt
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #34
captardvark
Four Point

Hunt In: rusk county

I have a 270 with a brake I love the gun no kick and supper accurate I always have shot with hearing protection so it’s not a issue with me but yes they do get louder but for me it’s worth it
captardvark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #35
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Bunch of drama queens. While itís smart to use hearing protection to prevent hearing loss it doesnít ďhurtĒ may ring a bit but never hurts. Had lots of shots out of 300rum, 300wm, and 6.5saum all with brakes. Never had plugs hunting and never hurt
Perhaps there is no pain but it dang sure will result in hearing loss and can be annoying for days. No drama--just don't see the allure of brakes on hunting rifles. I'll take recoil over hearing loss any day.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #36
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Bunch of drama queens. While it’s smart to use hearing protection to prevent hearing loss it doesn’t “hurt” may ring a bit but never hurts. Had lots of shots out of 300rum, 300wm, and 6.5saum all with brakes. Never had plugs hunting and never hurt
Yeah if you want hearing loss.

No use for a muzzle brake on any hunting caliber rifle, especially a .270. Recoil is overblown on this website. My 76 year old grandpa shoots my .300 win mag all day long with no issues or complaints of recoil. My buddies little 100 pound sister goes hunting in the mountains with a tikka t3 lite .300 win mag with no complaint of recoil.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 03-25-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Arrowthreat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #37
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Perhaps there is no pain but it dang sure will result in hearing loss and can be annoying for days. No drama--just don't see the allure of brakes on hunting rifles. I'll take recoil over hearing loss any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
Yeah if you want hearing loss.

No use for a muzzle brake on any hunting caliber rifle, especially a .270. Recoil is overblown on this website. My 76 year old grandpa shoots my .300 win mag all day long with no issues or complaints of recoil. My buddies little 100 pound sister goes hunting in the mountains with a tikka t3 lite .300 win mag with no complaint of recoil.
Ummm yea thatís why I said itís smart to wear hearing protection to prevent hearing loss

The allure is spotting shots at distance. If hunting from a box at 100yds theyíre pointless
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #38
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Ummm yea thatís why I said itís smart to wear hearing protection to prevent hearing loss

The allure is spotting shots at distance. If hunting from a box at 100yds theyíre pointless
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how does having a muzzle brake give you any advantage on a distance shot?
Arrowthreat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #39
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow threat View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but how does having a muzzle brake give you any advantage on a distance shot?
You can spot impact much better.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:

You also said, "Had lots of shots out of 300rum, 300wm, and 6.5saum all with brakes. Never had plugs hunting and never hurt." If you are cool with hearing loss, and realize it is not smart, happy hunting. Seems like hearing protection and using a brake are not mutually exclusive. . . especially if shooting long distance.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
You also said, "Had lots of shots out of 300rum, 300wm, and 6.5saum all with brakes. Never had plugs hunting and never hurt." If you are cool with hearing loss, and realize it is not smart, happy hunting. Seems like hearing protection and using a brake are not mutually exclusive. . . especially if shooting long distance.
I donít continue to shoot that way.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #42
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Lots of hate for muzzle brakes on TBH. Unless it has a suppressor, I use plugs no matter what gun I'm hunting with.

I love muzzle brakes on rifles where a suppressor isn't practical..or not an option for whatever reason. I like the reduction in recoil. It makes me a better shooter. And I like being able to see my impacts in the scope.

When hunting I carry a set of cheap foam plus in my pack. Muzzle brake or not, I take them out and stick them in before shooting. Pretty much anything above 140 decibels will ring my ears...at least the right ear.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #43
Kossetx
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
But they look so cool...
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top