X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Turn - new or used?

I'm mowing about 1.5ac and have narrowed my search down to:

a. New Gravely ZT HD, approx $5,500 + tax, 4 yr, 500 hour warranty, OR

b. Used Gravely Pro Turn 100, 6 yrs old, 150 hours, approximately $5,500 + tax but is out of warranty. This mower runs about $8,700 new

I've been told by a good friend who works on them that regardless of whether it's a $4,000 mower or an $8,000 mower, they tend to have the same problems at about the 4-5 year mark. That has me leaning toward the new one but I sure like the bigger one!

6 years old with only a 150 hrs seems low to me. That definitely makes the decision a little bit harder.

I personally would go with new because I also have the ZT HD. It has done everything that I've needed it to do with zero issues outside of regular maintenance. Also, replacement parts for the ZT HD should be a little cheaper than replacement parts for the Pro Turn.

Good luck on the decision.

Comment

For the same price, its easy

NEW

We have a new AND used zero turn

Comment

I bought a used one and love it.

Bought it with 180 hours and paid 1/4 of retail. Mechanically it's excellent but it sat outside a lot so it's not as pretty as new.

Comment

I always buy new. I never want someone else`s problem. As long as you have good credit, most things you can finance for 0 or 1.9% financing and get the full warranty for a little more.

Comment

The used one has bigger tires, foldable rop, thicker deck, larger tank, better hydros, mows faster, and a suspension seat.
            Sounds like a no brainer to me between those 2. I would go used.
            Last edited by Rubi513; 05-05-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

for the size yard you are mowing, go new with warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                The used one has bigger tires, foldable rop, thicker deck, larger tank, better hydros, mows faster, and a suspension seat.
                Sounds like a no brainer to me between those 2. I would go used.
                ^^^ This here is my thoughts. Nothing for a commercial ztr to go 3000 hrs. The better hydros would sway me on the decision.

Comment

I say New is always better, because the chance that your buying someone elses problem, are more likely then not

Comment

New for sure in this case.

Comment

I would say new as well. I would bet that the majority of us do not blow out our air filters, change plugs and oil, and do those little maintenance things as the book reads. I have oil, filter, and plugs currently in a box on the shelf, while mowing the three acres once a week. Need to do it today lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                        I would say new as well. I would bet that the majority of us do not blow out our air filters, change plugs and oil, and do those little maintenance things as the book reads.
                        I do...

Some of you fellers pushing the new mower over the used have obviously not been on a better built mower.

Comment

With the small amount of hours on the bigger one, the more heavy duty materials and you rather have it, offer them $4,500 for the used unit and maybe they will come down a bit off the $5,500 to move the used unit.

Comment

I do...

Some of you fellers pushing the new mower over the used have obviously not been on a better built mower.
                            Agree with this......Buddies and family that use my mower over the ones they own from box stores always say they will never buy the cheap one again.

Comment

I do...

This.

Comment

Working...
                              X