Busted harmonic dampener on drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted harmonic dampener on drive shaft

We are headed fishing and busted loose the harmonic dampener on the rear of the drive shaft. We wired it back out of the way. We are limping along. Anyone know if this will cause any damage to continuity to drive for rest of the trip? We hit a stick in the road dropped by a logger

2020 duramax gmc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If’n you have any vibration at all, I would not drive it.

Comment

Yikes. Good luck. We had something similar happen in New Mexico years ago. We just dropped the driveshaft and took it off. From memory I don’t think my buddy ever replaced it!

Hopefully a mechanic will chime in!

Comment

Yes it will eat the main bearings up over time. I wou look dnt drive it farm

Comment

4x4?

?pull rear and go FWD?

Comment

Vibration will eat bearings on both ends.

Comment

So you dropped the balancer weight off the rear drive shaft, right ?
              If you still have the weight I'd get some epoxy and a roll of gorilla tape at the next town and reattach it assuming you can see exactly where it should go.

I would not drive it much or at speed without the weight attached as the vibration could cause the pinion bearing to wear plus it will put more stress on the u-joints.

As others have said, you could remove the drive shaft and use the front wheel drive to pull you along.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. We are at camp: 2 hours from home. We’ll review our options. Luckily it’s not my truck so I’ll let him make the decision lol.

Yes the rear of the drive shaft is where it came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would not drive it at all only takes a couple miles and all hell can break loose.

BTW I am a GM Master in Engine Repair, Transmission, Diesel, Engine Performance. With that and .50 I can buy a cup of coffee! Lol

Comment

Working...
                  X