Old Frig Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Frig Pellet Smoker

Getting close to completion of an old metal refrigerator into a pellet smoker

Leaning towards using the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper, controller, & burner system

Anyone have experience with them in a DIY smoker or other brand

Thanks
    Attached Files

Ready to see finished product.

Comment

TD2000, Looking good!
      I just finished my old fridge/pellet smoker setup earlier this year. I have the Smoke Daddy pellet hopper, and it's worked flawlessly on everything we've smoked so far. You'll want to PU their heat diffuser to place above the burn source. Since the SD temp won't go lower than 160, you'll notice I have a second electric heat source in mine for low temp sausage smoking. I use a pellet tray for the smoke source.
      You'll want to add baffles on the intake and exhaust to control your heat. I've also added a fan on my intake.
      Happy to help you with any setup questions.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by SBESTX View Post
          TD2000, Looking good!
          I just finished my old fridge/pellet smoker setup earlier this year. I have the Smoke Daddy pellet hopper, and it's worked flawlessly on everything we've smoked so far. You'll want to PU their heat diffuser to place above the burn source. Since the SD temp won't go lower than 160, you'll notice I have a second electric heat source in mine for low temp sausage smoking. I use a pellet tray for the smoke source.
          You'll want to add baffles on the intake and exhaust to control your heat. I've also added a fan on my intake.
          Happy to help you with any setup questions.
          Nice set up

I added a house wall vent to back of unit and wondered about need to add a fan to that vent to force air through box. I have heard that helps keep burner going at low temps

Have stainless material to make a diffuser

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
            Nice set up

I added a house wall vent to back of unit and wondered about need to add a fan to that vent to force air through box. I have heard that helps keep burner going at low temps

Have stainless material to make a diffuser
            Thanks!

I order mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree, the forced air helps keep the smoke rolling

Comment

Thanks!

I order mine on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree, the forced air helps keep the smoke rolling
              Nice add and I plan to follow your suggestion on additional electrical coil for low heat sausage use

Comment

Good ideas posted here, need to get after it and build one.

Comment

How are you going to catch all the grease and rendered fat ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    How are you going to catch all the grease and rendered fat ?
                    Drip trays are standard adds as seen on Youtube builds that vent to catch buckets

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                      Nice add and I plan to follow your suggestion on additional electrical coil for low heat sausage use
                      Yes, it's an added expense, but I wanted to be able to smoke my venison sausage for several hours. I have two A-maze-n pellet tubes for my smoke.

Here is the PID controller I used, basically plug and play with a Brinkmann heating element.
                      This mini Temperature Controller is an excellent solution for converting any freezer into a kegerator. It controls the temperature precisely and constantly (0.1 degree). It’s suitable for all equipments which need refrigerating control or even need both o

Comment

Yes, it's an added expense, but I wanted to be able to smoke my venison sausage for several hours. I have two A-maze-n pellet tubes for my smoke.

Here is the PID controller I used, basically plug and play with a Brinkmann heating element.
                        This mini Temperature Controller is an excellent solution for converting any freezer into a kegerator. It controls the temperature precisely and constantly (0.1 degree). It’s suitable for all equipments which need refrigerating control or even need both o

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Thanks for links

Comment

Do a search. I built one from a 1954 fridge. Really fun project

Comment

I like it a lot. Maybe paint the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                              I like it a lot. Maybe paint the outside.
                              Next on my agenda for mine, I'm going with an old, weathered look patina paint job.

Comment

Working...
                              X