Question for tractor owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
    I bought a new compact JD a few months back and put slime in the tires, I shred a lot of mesquite. When I jacked it up and let the air out, both rear tires lost their bead seal and had a time getting them seated again, just so you are prepared if doing it yourself.

Don't let all the air out, let air get low and then add water and repeat this process until to get the desired amount of water

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      I use water with antifreeze. Also added wheel weights.
      The dealer did this for me. Have cast wheels instead of weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        @rascalarms

[emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Not sure about the 3000 series JD's, but the bigger ones will flat out lift the rear end off the ground without ballast and a heavy (bucket full of dirt). I put multi-seal in my tires, and don't want to add water to that to dilute it. I use an implement for ballast right now. Have a land plane and box blade. I attach one of those and put concrete/cinder blocks on them for added weight. First time you pick up something heavy with forks or bucket and that rear end starts to come up, it'll make you pucker pretty tight!

Comment

It definitely gets cold enough the freeze water in tire here in Dallas and areas north, and antifreeze is cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
              I use antifreeze and water at work when customers want it installed in tires, we use the antifreeze to help with corrosion and rust with the wheels.
              ^This. Corrosion with straight water would be my biggest concern.

Plus, it certainly does freeze in Texas. Might only be 1 or 2 weeks out of the year, but freezing is freezing....

Comment

I used windshield wiper fluid can get it in 55gal drum from oriely adapter to fill tire and bleed air from TSC . Look at your tractor manual and it call out probably only 75% fill. Also there are different windshield wiper fluids and they have different freeze temps. There's some good videos on you tube of this being done and different methods.

Comment

I have never heard of putting beet juice in tires

I bet that smells real good

Water and antifreeze is the norm here or like SS said, something for a ballast on the rear
                  6' round bale will work pretty good

Comment

BtLowery, from the research I’ve done, beet juice weighs 10 lbs. per gallon, versus 8.33 for water. Environmental friendly, but few dealers around.

Saltwater slick, how do you like the landplane over the box blade??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buckshot, for most uses, I like the land plane MUCH better for leveling and smoothing land areas... It's like magic really. You just drop the blade and drive around and the more you pass over the area the flatter it gets. I only bought a box blade recently because I am about to start a project where I will need to push a lot of dirt/road base around to build up a road and that box blade will do that better than a land plane. I have a 57 horse tractor and bought a 6' land plane. the next size up was 7 foot and had the digging forks available. I wish I'd have gotten it instead... still plan to upgrade but just haven't done it yet. A buddy of mine got the bigger one and I think it works better. It's wider and heavier.

Comment

Good to hear! Now, you need to get your backside in gear, drive that thing over here, and scrape off all the top of the front yard. And move all the dirt to the back.

Enjoy, the new toy, Alan!

Comment

Pee in em. Pee is heavier.

Comment

It's a DIY for most. Adding water to the tires is the cheapest. Wheel weights and a weight ballast box on the 3pt are the most effective but will cost the most.

Comment

I worked mainly in brush and sand country so I just paid the money to fill up completely with foam rubber, in all four and ditch the wheel weights , makes for a slightly rougher ride
                              But it adds plenty of weight and I never got any flats, nails, rebar, deer antler, thorniest brush = no problem

Comment

Working...
                              X