Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hunted Devils Sinkhole/Devils River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever hunted Devils Sinkhole/Devils River?

I know they have a ton of aoudad out there but wondering what other exotics have been seen/taken out there. I'm trying to decide on which extra drawn exotic hunt to apply for as I am already applying for PowderHorn and S. Llano.

I drew a hunt at Devils River few years back when this was one of the Archery Exotic hunts. Only 5 people including me that showed up for the hunt.
    I ended up missing an aoudad but eventually shot a nanny of some sort. Nobody could ID the goat/sheep. It was a rust color with no horns. The GW figured it was some kind of a cross. I was really wanting a chance at a axis, but never saw any.
    One other guy killed a ram. Can’t remember the species but it wasn’t a aoudad.
    It might have been a corriscan or however you spell it!!

Comment

I would say put in for it either way as it's EXTREMELY unlikely you'll draw Powderhorn or S. Llano River SP unless you've got tons of loyalty points.

Comment

Mostly Barbary and you will probably see some Spanish goats. They have feral pigs there now too, 10 years ago they didn’t exist there or so they claim.

Comment

I hunted it a few years back right after some pretty severe winter weather.

I think there were only 3-4 groups that made the hunt because of snowy/icy road conditions.

My Dad and I had no interest in hunting or killing an aoudad, so we hunted the flatter terrain.

Summary:

Not too many whitetails. Saw one mature 8 point that would have likely scored around 115ish. We passed.

Hunted hard for axis by slowly still hunting. Saw one. Crossed paths with an axis doe at about 10-15 yards. We saw each other at the same time and she spooked badly leaving me with no shot.

While still hunting, I intersected a group of blackbuck. There were lots of does and one mature buck. Was able to kill mature blackbuck. I did not find the meat to be very good. In hindsight, I should have only taken pictures.

It was a neat trip. We enjoyed exploring that country. It's rough and remote. Great memories made with my Dad.

Comment

thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to put in for Devils river since there are more permits makes better odds to be drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtfish View Post
              thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to put in for Devils river since there are more permits makes better odds to be drawn.
              I put in for the exotics. If nothing else, it sounds like a cool place to have access to for a few days in January!

Comment

Working...
              X