Tomahawk Ribeye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking hot charcoals...

Only use Prime Rib Eye's get them at Sam's or Heb.

4 minutes turn add Uncle Chris's and Worchester sauce Cook another 3 minutes. pull to side for a short time... Rest in Oven a short time then enjoy.

I do Prime Rib Roast the same way.. except cook until 120 in the center.

Comment

Uncle Chris's steak seasoning and Mesquite coals

Comment

My method is a bit long and time consuming but worth it. I have both a Traeger and an egg. So I experimented. I liberally salt and 2+ inch thick tomahawk ribeye with kosher salt and coarse black pepper. Let sit in to room temp for 30 min. Set the steak in the Traeger for 1 hour on mesquite pellets set at 225. Meanwhile I built a fire in the egg with small pieces of mesquite wood. I want the wood to be barely flaming when the steaks have been on the Traeger for the hour. Pull off the Traeger and grill over the hot flame/coals to put a great crust/bark and cook to desired temp. Thus far everyone I have cooked gets “this is the best steak I have every ate” comments.

Comment

Never liked paying for extra bone.

Comment

Originally posted by dtu11 View Post
            Chupacabra + Open Fire?
            This was close to my attempt! Caught a 3 pound Angus Tomahawk on sale at Walmart for $20 so tried my hand at it! Stuck it in the oven at 200 degrees until internal temp was 100 degrees. Then tossed it on the broiler coated in Chubucabra steak seasoning until both sides were charred and then turned down the heat and closed the door for a little bit and brought it in to rest! Made a garlic butter to go on top. It was great! I will be doing this again for sure! Beagle even had a great day! She took off with the bone!

Comment

Marketing gimmick. Paying to take waste off their hands (bone). It’s brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                What makes a tomahawk ribeye better than a regular ribeye? Looks like you're just paying for more bone.
                Exactly. But, many here fell for the advertising and paid extra. It is the exact same piece of meat, fellas. I can understand nonhunting city slickers falling for it, but here, c'mon,man.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Marketing gimmick. Paying to take waste off their hands (bone). It’s brilliant!
                  I ran a meat market for over 20 years. You would be surprised what people will pay for specialty cuts. Opening weekend of deer season was very profitable for added value items. I can`t believe what people pay for jalapeno poppers at supermarkets either.

Comment

Don't forget to sprinkle the salt down your arm onto your steak. Obviously this makes it more tasty and more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                      Don't forget to sprinkle the salt down your arm onto your steak. Obviously this makes it more tasty and more expensive
                      Its the added sweat to the salt

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                        I sous vide mine at 125 for a couple hours, dry it well with a paper towel and grill hot as hell for 1 min per side on all sides including edges. Sous vide with garlic cloves, butter, a little salt and pepper. I add a little seasoning after the final grill as well.
                        Mines about the same....I've found a little corn starch sprinkled on post cous-vide bath can help dry it for searing.

ac

Comment

salt, pepper, garlic and a square of butter right before it gets taken off the fire. good stuff.

Comment

Same as any other ribeye…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You really need a big enough grill/oven to cook one. I made one once and my ex wanted it burnt to a crisp.

Comment

Had to dig this thread up! Picked up another one on sale. Gonna do that and loaded sweet potatoes for dinner tomorrow night

Comment

Working...
                                X