X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good info, thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Well done MrEnd. I really like how you bolted and didnt simply weld the panel frame.

Thanks for posting your experience and breaking it down Barney style.
      The thought was that I could easily remove the entire frame and do something else with it if the panels didn't work out.

If I was patient the square tubing would have been bolted as well, but i didn't take the time to think of a bracket and didn't want to spend time on a ladder trying to match drill through thick metal.

Comment

Has anyone found a good honest set of data that looks at panel efficiency over time? I have read some horror stories of 40-50% losses at 5-7 years. That breaks the math.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          Has anyone found a good honest set of data that looks at panel efficiency over time? I have read some horror stories of 40-50% losses at 5-7 years. That breaks the math.
          This is the problem. About the time that you are supposed to break even, the panel efficiency degrades to the point where the investment is no longer worthwhile. There are better panels on the horizon that may address this.

Comment

Amazing write up. Will likely come back to reference when I'm in a position to review solar for my home.

Comment

Very cool. How difficult to get tax credits? Is it just a major pain in the arse?

Comment

From my memory, new solar panels are warrantied for like 25 years with guarantee of 80%. 5-7 years is a huge delta from that. I should be able to tell you after a year if the efficiency is dropping as bad as you are saying, that is approximately 10%/year, should be pretty obvious.

So far i am achieving exactly what i estimated. Ill update next week after 1 month operation.

The federal tax credit is easy, you enter the total you spent on one line on tax form. I imagine this stupid inflation reduction bill is going to add additional credit.

Comment

1 month update, July 9 - Aug 8

21 panels rated at 8,295 W
                  Total energy generated in 1 month is 1,420 kWh.
                  I estimated 1,280 kWh for the month of July and again for August, so a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                    1 month update, July 9 - Aug 8

21 panels rated at 8,295 W
                    Total energy generated in 1 month is 1,420 kWh.
                    I estimated 1,280 kWh for the month of July and again for August, so a little better.
                    Impressive sir, well thought out DIY.

Rwc

Comment

Great project write up Thanks for sharing sir!

Comment

Nice! As someone who is pretty anti-solar, keep posting follow ups because real world data always trumps what some salesman says, much less my neanderthal brain. I hope it all keeps going well. That would make me at least run the math for my own home if it does!

Comment

2 month update, August 9 - September 8
                          Total energy generated in the second month is 1,032 kWh.

I estimated 1,280 kWh for the month of August, so a little worse, but not to shabby. We did have record breaking rainfall this month.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                            Nice! As someone who is pretty anti-solar, keep posting follow ups because real world data always trumps what some salesman says, much less my neanderthal brain. I hope it all keeps going well. That would make me at least run the math for my own home if it does!

This all the way. Hard to know u til I see this kind of detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

VERY nice write up!!

As far as degradation goes, I’ve got a Sharp 245 watt solar panel that is around 12 years old. It has lost about 10% of its output.

Comment

wits end, have you looked in to a battery array for surplus storage?

Comment

Working...
                                X