anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    He’s a member here, can’t remember his user name. I miss that ranch and country. We took some amazing deer. Here is his buck I’m talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great buck, thanks for sharing.

Comment

He’s a member here, can’t remember his user name. I miss that ranch and country. We took some amazing deer. Here is his buck I’m talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      That deer looks real familiar. Spider something?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        That deer looks real familiar. Spider something?
        Think it was Spiderpig1776

Comment

That’s a really cool buck!!!

Comment

I left the ranch I was on that got hit hard but stay in contact with the owner and guys on it. It’s bounced back faster then expected. Not a fraction close to what it once was but they took several nice bucks last season. Tons of nice young bucks running around and the axis population has exploded. They think a HUGE herd escaped a high fence ranch and have taken over this place. So many axis in some pastures they’re a nuisance to guys trying to feed WT.
            The guy that took over my spot actually killed a stud 160 his first season. That deer grew about 45” in one season.
            Weren’t you in Kinney Co?

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Weren’t you in Kinney Co?
              Yes Kinney County. NW of Bracketville

Comment

I’ve been thinking about you guys that hunt out that way with this drought. Anthrax really wiped out a ton of deer and exotics on a lease I was on in Kinney County in 2018/2019.

I hope we don’t start seeing reports of it being another bad anthrax year but this drought is a bad sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                  I’ve been thinking about you guys that hunt out that way with this drought. Anthrax really wiped out a ton of deer and exotics on a lease I was on in Kinney County in 2018/2019.

I hope we don’t start seeing reports of it being another bad anthrax year but this drought is a bad sign.
                  Don’t think it was anywhere near wet enough for that this year in the spring. It’s Texas. We have droughts. Fairly certain anthrax has to be a perfect storm type deal from what I’ve read. Certainly no pro about it!

Comment

We hunt a little west of Rocksprings on 2k acres. Our place was wrecked after anthrax. We had just got the place and started the protein/feed program. Now we're starting to see decent deer numbers. Not very many mature bucks, but numbers are definitely up. Axis numbers have been pretty consistent for us.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Don’t think it was anywhere near wet enough for that this year in the spring. It’s Texas. We have droughts. Fairly certain anthrax has to be a perfect storm type deal from what I’ve read. Certainly no pro about it!
                      Anthrax is an every year thing out that way. Some years are much worse than others. It’s a bacteria that lives in the soil. During a bad drought the soil can crack open and expose the buried anthrax. If a big rain comes along to break the drought, plants grow up from the cracks and physically carry the bacteria up. Hungry animals eat the plants that are covered n anthrax. This year has the bad drought so the way I understand it, a bad anthrax year this or next year is more likely, especially if big rains come.

Comment

Anthrax is an every year thing out that way. Some years are much worse than others. It’s a bacteria that lives in the soil. During a bad drought the soil can crack open and expose the buried anthrax. If a big rain comes along to break the drought, plants grow up from the cracks and physically carry the bacteria up. Hungry animals eat the plants that are covered n anthrax. This year has the bad drought so the way I understand it, a bad anthrax year this or next year is more likely, especially if big rains come.

I don’t think that’s exactly correct.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          I don’t think that’s exactly correct.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          See below for yourself. I didn’t make it up.

Anthrax
                          Anthrax is endemic in some areas of Texas and is caused by the spore forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax cases are often associated with periods of weather extremes. Cases may increase in years of high rainfall and flooding, especially when preceded by a drought; floodwaters may carry spores to new areas.

This 3-page publication explains the conditions under which anthrax outbreaks are most likely, the cause, symptoms, and modes of transmission of the disease, and management/safety guidelines for hunters and landowners.

Tomecek said anthrax outbreaks are spurred by mild, wet winters and springs followed by dry spells and intense summertime drought. Surface water from rains relocate the spores in the dusty soil and create “hot spots” where animals graze.

“Anthrax outbreaks in Texas are especially common in ‘drought-breaking’ years,” he said. “Under these conditions, spores become concentrated on the soil surface and on vegetation, where foraging animals can become exposed to the disease.”

Comment

See below for yourself. I didn’t make it up…….
                            I think what Bisch meant was your timeline of how Anthrax Breakouts occur are off. From what I’ve researched after having a bad breakout at our place, Anthrax breakouts occur after a very wet late winter and Spring, followed by a dry spell. We’ve actually had a very dry late winter/Spring/Summer. What you posted regarding plants bringing Anthrax spores up through the soil, is how Anthrax is ingested and spread, but the ecological timeline of events have to line up properly, which they haven’t done in or around Sutton county this year for an Anthrax outbreak. If we’d have had a wet spring with a lot of growth, then this drought, we’d be in a severe Anthrax outbreak

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                              I think what Bisch meant was your timeline of how Anthrax Breakouts occur are off. From what I’ve researched after having a bad breakout at our place, Anthrax breakouts occur after a very wet late winter and Spring, followed by a dry spell. We’ve actually had a very dry late winter/Spring/Summer. What you posted regarding plants bringing Anthrax spores up through the soil, is how Anthrax is ingested and spread, but the ecological timeline of events have to line up properly, which they haven’t done in or around Sutton county this year for an Anthrax outbreak. If we’d have had a wet spring with a lot of growth, then this drought, we’d be in a severe Anthrax outbreak
                              I hope you’re right. I’m just passing along what I’ve read:

“Cases may increase in years of high rainfall and flooding, especially when preceded by a drought”

Comment

I hope you’re right. I’m just passing along what I’ve read:

“Cases may increase in years of high rainfall and flooding, especially when preceded by a drought”
                                Exactly what I said. And I disagree with your prior statement. It’s west Texas. It gets dry AF every summer.

2019 from what I’ve read was the worst outbreak ever. This was the first time the ranch I’m on had been hit. Further west it seems to hit more frequently. I hope it never hits again lol. But I joined knowing we are rebuilding. Just curious how everyone was coming along is all. Not wanting to debate.
                                Last edited by trophy8; 08-09-2022, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X