Sierra Diablo WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sierra Diablo WMA

Has anyone ever hunted the Sierra Diablo WMA? If so how was it? I understand that is would be desolate out there but I am willing to give it a try if I get selected. There are only two slots available for this so whoever gets this one will be all by themselves.

It's ROUGH and remote. It's as tough as Texas hunting gets. Very cool country. I was blessed to get to hunt it with TPWD guides on the desert bighorn hunt several years ago, so that made it a little easier. Packing out an animal solo would be serious work.
    Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful Country!

Comment

Wow, those are some great photos! Is this place open to the public outside of drawn hunts? I just wanna go shoot some photos and hike there!

Comment

That is some beautiful country. I'd love to visit it some day.

Comment

Never hunted it but I would..
            Stunning beauty out there.. Many Texans live and die never realizing just how beautiful some areas of this state truly are.. It's a shame!!

Comment

I agree the Trans-Pecos has its own unique rugged beauty. Never realized it until I hunted out there. Most of that area has not be altered by humans, yet.

Comment

I hunted it for mule deer in 2011 I believe. It's a two hour + drive back in there to get on the WMA through several large ranches. I saw bighorns going in and a large herd while hunting my area. There was one huge ram in that bunch.

It's @26K acres, but for mule deer they only hunt 3 compartments at about 1300-1500 acres each. We had 5 hunters in camp because one was a no show so the hunt director let me have a compartment to myself. I saw some mule deer, but not what I was looking for. I had hoped for a good buck since I was no longer hunting north of Van Horn any more, but I could only find one freak horned buck. I let him pass until the last full day and was going to kill him , but found him across the fence on private property. That night a snow storm blew in and instead of hunting the last half day, we all packed up and left.

Camp is a primitive camp with no water , so you need to haul your own. No fires were permitted at the time. I took my gas stove, ate mountain house for dinner in the morning and evening and snack on summer sausage, cheese and crackers for lunches on my tailgate.

I'm thinking about putting in for it again with my wife.

Comment

Beautiful pics Shane!

Comment

Those W Texas areas are special places so far.

Comment

Wow those photos are nice. I hope I get selected.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X