Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Keith816
Nubbin' Buck

Default Rookie Bow Hunter

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the sport and would like to start shooting. I have no idea what bow to buy or how to shoot... is there someone who can help out and get me started? I live near Katy TX and would like find a place to practice and get introduced to archery!
Keith816 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Welcome. I can't help much, but I joined about a year ago for the same reason. There's good people on here that I know will be able to answer your questions and teach you, just as I have been able to ask and learn from others in the community. Best of luck.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Westside Archery on I-10 or Texas Archery in Spring can not only get u started but also point I in the right direction. Take your time choosing....fit and feel are incredibly important at this stage or any stage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Cberry
Spike

Hunt In: East Texas

West Houston Archery is over in that direction. Go in tell them what you are willing to spend and they will get you set up. I would imagine they have lessons there too. If they don't provide lessons, I know that Texas Archery over in Spring has someone that gives lessons.

http://www.westhoustonarchery.com/

https://texarchery.com/
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Donít do it. Youíll be hooked for life & it will become an obsession
Just kidding... like others mentioned find a good archery shop to get you measured & get a feel for it. If you have a good friend that has a bow that would fit your draw length could possibly see if they would let you shoot it just to see how you like it
Good luck
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Go see Richard at Texas archery and he will do you right. His wife Kay is an instructor there and she is awesome and will work with you on proper form and get you shooting in no time! You might want to get measured and find a good used bow to start out on and move up from there. Lots of good people on here and lots of good used bows!
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #7
easeup
Ten Point

you got the right place here for help.
I am no where near there but someone else will jump in to help
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
westernmuley
Four Point

Go to a local shop and try some to see what fits you
westernmuley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Start with this- https://www.bowhunter-ed.com/texas/

And follow up with a field day.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #10
Paycheck
Ten Point

Dang, if you were closer I would teach you what little I know. At least get you started in the right direction. Welcome.
Paycheck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #11
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Find a good pro-shop. Try a bunch of bows. Buy quality stuff, don't cut corners. Learn good form. Practice how you hunt. If you are gonna hunt from a tree, practice from a tree. If practice gets boring or stressful, stop for a few days. Don't over practice, that will cause some physical problems later.

Learn your quarry, its habitat, what it likes to eat, its travel routes, where it sleeps, how they get from the kitchen to the bed.
Learn and understand wind and thermals and how deer use them.

The one thing that is most important, enjoy it and have fun.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Understand that you can get into this past time with out spending a thousand bucks. A good combo package from Bear for less than 500 would be just fine. Many people with thousands of hours in the stand use good inexpensive equipment

Last edited by flywise; 01-21-2020 at 08:25 PM.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #13
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Weclome and good luck. You will enjoy deer hunting sooooooooomuch more when you start bowhunting. You can learn correct form , equipment,accessories etc from a close friend or archery shop. you will learn how to hunt by trial and error.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 PM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Understand that you can get into this past time with out spending a thousand bucks. A good combo package from Bear for less than 500 would be just fine. Many people with thousands of hours in the stand use good inexpensive equipment
Excellent advice. I haven't bought a new bow in years. When a new bow is in order, I buy a used bow. You can roughly pay half for a top line bow. Most used bows sold on here are lightly used. Quality equipment for a fraction of the price.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #15
T-roy66
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

As others have said find a good archery shop and let them help you with setting up your equipment. You don’t have to buy a brand new bow to start out. Other advise is start out shooting lighter weight and focus on form and technique. You can add weight as you get stronger. Too many bad habits start with too much weight. Welcome to the green screen. Some great folks on here.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 10:06 PM   #16
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Yep! Iíve killed deer with a stick with a string tied to both ends! Your equipment is only as good as you are with it. No matter the price. Some may fit you better than others but it really ainít much different at the end of the day.

My advice..

1. Never shoot at an animal further than your confident
2. Keep razor sharp broadheads
3. Even with a good shot give it an hour before you look. Even longer with a bad shot.
4. Always keep your head up in hunting and shooting. Nothing good ever came from a negative attitude.

Iíd say live it and breathe it but that is automatic.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
ccolley68
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado, Real County, George West

As others have said, West Houston Archery or Texas Archery. Both are great shops. I was in West Houston last week and they had 3 used Mathews for sale, didn’t get a look at the price, but I’m sure they were affordable. Something like that would be my advice before jumping into it full force. Once you actually figure out of you like it or not (which you will), then you can got ahead and jump in and drop the $1k+ for good quality, brand new gear.

Let the shop measure you, and get it set up right. West Houston definitely has an indoor range, but I’m not 100% sure if they do lessons. Texas Archery definitely has an indoor range and I am 100% sure they do lessons.

It brings an all new appreciation to hunting. Makes killing a doe like shooting the best buck of your life with a rifle. I don’t shoot deer, or anything but birds, with a gun unless it’s just cull time and we need to take some out, or I’m with my little kids and getting one in bow range isn’t possible.
ccolley68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #18
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.

Welcome to the highest of high's and lowest of low's. It isn't easy my friend. It's the greatest rewarding hunting experience you could ever achieve.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #19
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

OP,

The biggest thing is going to a good Archery shop. Seems like a lot has been recommended.

When you get there, like someone else has already said, let them know you're new and what your budget is.

You need a fully set up bow, arrows, release, and probably lessons.

Most shops I walk in don't have a single bow set up and rigged for under a grand, but if you tell them what your budget is, they can work with you. Most people just walk out and don't say a thing.

Another thing like most have said try different bows. You will be surprised at how different bows feel in your hand and the feel they have when you draw back on them.

Lots to learn and it is addictive. I probably enjoy flinging arrows more than hunting.

Ok maybe its equal.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Welcome!
Lots of good advice here,so far.I agree with buying a used bow.I always buy one that I can sell..Mathews/Bowtech both seem to sell easily.
Practice from a tri-pod from time to time if you're gonna hunt from elevated stands.When you stick a critter,wait an hour before you go looking for it.When it's been an hour,wait another 30 minutes!
You'll love hunting with a bow!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #21
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

If you were closer to College Station, I'd offer you lessons. But alas, you are not.

I think from what I've heard about West Houston Archery, that is a great recommendation.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #22
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

One of the biggest mistakes new archers make is not getting a proper measurement of their draw length. Go to a good shop and have them measure you. Shooting the wrong draw length creates all kinds of problems. Once you find your draw length then you can shop around for a bow you like. There are some bows on the market that are adjustable, but most are draw length specific. Be careful buying a used bow that is not the right draw length, as many times cams are expensive, and by the time you buy the new cams for your dl then you are where a new bow would cost. NEVER store your bow in your vehicle both for theft reasons, and the heat that builds up in your vehicle can cause limb damage as well as string and cable damage. Welcome-if you are looking for a cheap hobby you are in the wrong place. It is addictive and expensive, but it is also awesome.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
Alta
Four Point

Hunt In: Markham, Tx; Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith816 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the sport and would like to start shooting. I have no idea what bow to buy or how to shoot... is there someone who can help out and get me started? I live near Katy TX and would like find a place to practice and get introduced to archery!
I was in your position last year and would recommend taking a lesson or two to start with the folks on the second story of West Houston Archery. Very helpful in understanding the basics and getting the fundamentals right. After that it is just practice.
Alta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top