Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-19-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas
Default Fischerís in Muenster

I will make a long story short, but since it is finally on our route to and from the lease I took a deer to Fischerís. Been wanting to for years.

Based on 20 years of rave reviews we pushed all in on the sausage and got everything except the BS and TL made into either smoked sausage or jalapeŮo cheese smoked sausage. It was a big buck and they mix it with pork so we got back 52# of each.

Now here is the issue, it is TERRIBLE. To the point we tried one pack of each and have no desire to eat anymore. Already gave a few packs away.

It is ground very fine so it is almost ďgrittyĒ and then has a very different seasoning to it. Tastes like it has sage in it like breakfast sausage but not the same overall taste. I gutted, skinned and quartered the buck without delay so I know how it was handled.

Just trying to make sense of what happened. I have a buddy that gets the taco links and summer sausage, loves it, but he has never got the smoked sausage.

I guess it is possible they messed something up because I just donít see how most guys could love this sausage. I have let several people try it and get the same opinion every time. Nobody likes it.

Anyone every had the smoked sausage from there or got a bad ďbatchĒ??

For comparison, for the last 7 years or so we have either used Hallís in Coleman or Sklenariks in Miles. Love both places.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Sorry to hear that man, everything I’ve ever had from Fischer’s has been delicious
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
twosixteens
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Hate to hear this have heard good things about them.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Sorry to hear that man, everything Iíve ever had from Fischerís has been delicious

I wish you were close to me. I would give you some to try and compare to what you have had from there.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
rolylane6
Four Point

I had their smoked sausage a couple of years ago and it was good, not great. I had them do jalapeno/cheese summer sausage and deer sticks too. Deer sticks are the best I've had and summer sausage very good as well. Only thing I didn't like was that they vacuum sealed the deer sticks but everything else was butcher wrapped. In their defense tho, I didn't request vacuum sealing. Just kind of assumed everyone does nowadays.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I’ve never had a deer done there, but other meats were great. Sorry to hear. I’ve heard great things.

Last edited by oktx; 01-19-2020 at 06:39 PM.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Hate to hear that Joe, probably wasn’t cheap either with all the sausage made. Don’t know what good it would do but might call them. Maybe nothing else get some of your money back since it uneditable.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Smoked German sausage from Fischerís is some of the best Iíve ever had. I love the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
I wish you were close to me. I would give you some to try and compare to what you have had from there.

I used to take all my stuff to Fischerís . Got too expensive and I wasnít real fond of the ďmountainĒ of dead deer they had piled up to be processed on my last trip. Iíve been using Bluebonnet in Trenton and itís very good.
Fischerís Smoked German sausage is great though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
MadHatter
Ten Point

I've had their smoked sausage sausage 100s of times in my life. It's awesome !
Know the people who work there, and the Fischer's reputation, if I had to guess, they would love to hear about this.
I'm also about 100% sure, that they will square up with you.
30+ yrs of stopping through there and it never disappoints.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
friscopaint
Ten Point

So easy to make your own !!! Put as much, or as little, jalapeŮos or cheese you like. 1 or 2 deer processed will pay for you to buy your own stuff. We would do 5 plus deer in a weekend and make it a party
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Maybe I will give them a call because, like I said, it canít normally taste like this. Far too many people, for far too many years have had great things to say about the place. No way this sausage can be what everyone was talking about. And if was just me and my family that didnít like it then maybe our taste buds are weird but we have had other folks try it and nobody likes it.

I purchased stuff from inside the store when I dropped the deer and it was great.

Glad I started this thread because the whole thing just didnít make sense to me.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I would call them and tell them your displeasure.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #14
EZ-10RANCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion, Kimble & Fayette counties

Ive never brought a deer to Fischer’s, but I’ve always heard good things about them.

On the other hand, I’ve brought many deer to Sklenariks. Their smoked sausage is about the best I’ve ever had.
EZ-10RANCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #15
friscopaint
Ten Point

I haven't paid in 20 yrs plus, we always do our own. I can't reiterate how simple it is, add in your own cracked peppercorns, etc......pick up pork butts at carnival cheap to grind up and mix in.
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
ethic1
Eight Point

I had one issue with smoked sausage and it was from a vendor I had used before. Everything the next year came back really chewy and not as great as previous year. I didnít use them for sausage this year but figured it was due to all the new faces I seen when I dropped off second year and the amount of business they had. So I know the feeling. I tossed most of it but you can likely call and get it cleared up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #17
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I've had their smoked sausage sausage 100s of times in my life. It's awesome !
Know the people who work there, and the Fischer's reputation, if I had to guess, they would love to hear about this.
I'm also about 100% sure, that they will square up with you.
30+ yrs of stopping through there and it never disappoints.
What he said but Iíve only been going to them for 20 years.
Killer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #18
FireNguns
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County

As a local I would never take a deer to be processed at Fischer’s. Have heard to many stories about people not getting “their” deer back. You get the weight you turned in back but they just process it all together. Not cool because some people don’t care for their deer properly. Majority of the locals use Hess Meat market in Muenster or Wild Country in Lindsay for deer. Personally I just process my own so I get exactly what I want and how I want. Buy the right equipment once and be set for life.
I will buy high temp cheese, dehydrated japelpenos and seasonings in bulk from Fischer’s or Hess when processing out sausage. They also sell casings and will smoke it for you if you want.
Fischer’s is great for beef and German food and sausage but they just don’t have the time to focus strictly on deer and wild game

Last edited by FireNguns; 01-19-2020 at 08:01 PM.
FireNguns is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #19
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireNguns View Post
As a local I would never take a deer to be processed at Fischerís. Have heard to many stories about people not getting ďtheirĒ deer back. You get the weight you turned in back but they just process it all together. Not cool because some people donít care for their deer properly. Majority of the locals use Hess Meat market in Muenster or Wild Country in Lindsay for deer. Personally I just process my own so I get exactly what I want and how I want. Buy the right equipment once and be set for life.
I will buy high temp cheese, dehydrated japelpenos and seasonings in bulk from Fischerís or Hess when processing out sausage. They also sell casings and will smoke it for you if you want.
Fischerís is great for beef and German food and sausage but they just donít have the time to focus strictly on deer and wild game
This.. Hess will skin and hang a deer dang near right in front of you.. Fisher's will leave that thing on the floor with all the others til someone show's up Monday. Seen it with my own eyes
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #20
gonefishing
Four Point

Hunt In: Donley

Hess is the way to go, Fischer’s is not anywhere near what it once was.
gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #21
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
Hess is the way to go, Fischerís is not anywhere near what it once was.

Hess is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #22
dagdog
Six Point

Hunt In: Haskell county

Have had good experiences with Fischer’s. Always good and fair priced. Had a buddy try Hess and he told me it was so-so and expensive. I’ll have to drag a hog over to them and see for myself.

DIY is the way to go. I just don’t have the space or the time.
dagdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #23
eradicator
Pope & Young

Sounds like you got someones 'cedar berry' deer' Or your 'juniper' deer
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #24
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Not to be an arse but I would have called them in place of posting it on this forum, lots of damage can be done to a business and they do not even know they may have a problem. I like Fishers but have not had a deer processed there in umteen years, they do not do them individually, most large places just give you whatever your weight is, they mix it all together. I always used my Dad and uncle or my couson from up there to do all of my deer. Hess is very good as well, went to school with the original owners son, I doubt you get your deer there either but am not sure about that. Give them a call, I bet anything they will make it right.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #25
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

I shot a big pig last March and had them make the whole thing into Jalapeno and Cheese Summer Sausage and it was great and cheaper than anywhere around DFW!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #26
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tom Green county

Hess is less than a mile away, we stopped using Fischer’s 6 or 7 years ago. Nothing wrong with Hess but I like sklenariks In Miles better if you still have that option.
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #27
acearrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke County

We use Hess. The one in Lindsay is good too but my wife prefers the way Hess’s prepares the ground meat. Hess has always done a great job for us.
acearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 AM   #28
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

The problem is you're comparing it to Sklenarik's!(Best in the business imo)
Sounds to me like you didn't get YOUR deer back.That's a bunch of scratch to spend,and not enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #29
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

I havenít taken a deer there in over 10 years I bet. I wasnít pleased with the cost and quality of product they put out. We used to take all of our deer there back through the 1990ís.

I started processing my own. I do get my hog casings from them. I also use their smoked sausage seasoning from time to time. Itís good.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #30
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
Not to be an arse but I would have called them in place of posting it on this forum, lots of damage can be done to a business and they do not even know they may have a problem. I like Fishers but have not had a deer processed there in umteen years, they do not do them individually, most large places just give you whatever your weight is, they mix it all together. I always used my Dad and uncle or my couson from up there to do all of my deer. Hess is very good as well, went to school with the original owners son, I doubt you get your deer there either but am not sure about that. Give them a call, I bet anything they will make it right.

I donít think I got on here bashing Fischerís at all. Just looking for other guys opinions and trying to figure out what happened with over 100# of sausage that I paid quite a bit of money for.

On the flip side, if some people shy away from them because of this thread I canít say that would bother me. Saving nothing but positive reviews/experiences for the internet or forums is not exactly being honest with people. I did a bunch of research on here about Fischerís before I took my sons deer there. Sure wish I would have found the information that I have read in this thread before hand.

Just my opinion though.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #31
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
The problem is you're comparing it to Sklenarik's!(Best in the business imo)
Sounds to me like you didn't get YOUR deer back.That's a bunch of scratch to spend,and not enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Sure wish Sklenariks or Halls was still convenient. Got very spoiled to not having to worry about issues like this.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #32
meangreen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke

I would also recommend Wild Country in Lindsay. My Cousin helps run the place. Always your deer you get back.
meangreen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #33
Bmarsh9
Six Point

Hunt In: Wise county

I have heard numerous people say they've taken things to fishers for processing and weren't pleased. My father had a similar experience with a cow there as well and had been told by many people local to muenster that fishers keeps the prime meat for resale and gives you your weight in meat back. Their stuff over the counter is wonderful but I personally would not take my stuff there to be processed. My dads cow tasted terrible and it was an Angus that we fed out for a month before taking up there, even the cuts of meat were bizarre.
Bmarsh9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #34
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarsh9 View Post
I have heard numerous people say they've taken things to fishers for processing and weren't pleased. My father had a similar experience with a cow there as well and had been told by many people local to muenster that fishers keeps the prime meat for resale and gives you your weight in meat back. Their stuff over the counter is wonderful but I personally would not take my stuff there to be processed. My dads cow tasted terrible and it was an Angus that we fed out for a month before taking up there, even the cuts of meat were bizarre.

Live and learn I guess.

I just need to find someone that likes it and is willing to trade for some beer.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #35
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen View Post
I would also recommend Wild Country in Lindsay. My Cousin helps run the place. Always your deer you get back.

Nice to know. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #36
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

I've got a buddy who worked at Fischers for years. He says they batch sausage but all your other cuts you get your deer back.

I'd be really surprised if they are pilfering through everybody's stuff and pulling prime meats for themselves. There is a USDA inspector on site and really as much processing as they do there just isn't time for that.

All that said, we had a calf butchered there in the fall and I was less than impressed but since I didn't personally give them the cutting order I don't know if they screwed it up or my dad did. He has a habit of not listening to what you are saying to him even when he asked me how to have it cut. I've got 1 1/2" thick 4lb sirloin steaks that I was intending to be 1/2" thick for fajita meat. Not sure what I'm going to do with them now.

One thing I can say about it, if you have meat from there and it is in their plastic shrink wrap, re-wrap it butcher paper or vacuum seal it. My stuff had all kinds of holes int he plastic.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #37
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarsh9 View Post

Same. We stopped taking our beef there to be processed as well. Not sure what the deal was, but we did not like the taste (had a twang to it) and the lack of marbling made us think we werenít even getting our beef back. We use Hess for that now and it seems quite a bit better.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #38
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

I stopped using them a few years back bc they always acted like me bringing a deer in was such a hassle for them. Lol not sure why but my buddy said the exact same thing. Better options out there anyways, in my opinion. If i'm in that area, I'll use Hess. If not, I like Hunter's Choice in Sanger.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 01-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Fmjag64 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #39
riverbowman
Eight Point

I'm wondering if it's a taste preference thing. I had the same kinds of smoked sausage made there and my family though it was terrible. My dog got most of the first pack we opened. I then gave some to a friend and his family said it wasn't bad at all, so I gave it all to them. Go figure.
riverbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #40
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbowman View Post
I'm wondering if it's a taste preference thing. I had the same kinds of smoked sausage made there and my family though it was terrible. My dog got most of the first pack we opened. I then gave some to a friend and his family said it wasn't bad at all, so I gave it all to them. Go figure.

If it tastes like what I have he was just being kind since you gave it to him.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #41
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

I do not really have a dog in this fight but to suggest that Fishers takes the prime cuts of your beef and sells it while replacing yours with inferior beef is a pretty **** bold statement. I have known those folks for over 50 years, cannot believe they would ever do something like that. I really cannot believe anyone would even proclaim something like that on this forum based on hearsay.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #42
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
I do not really have a dog in this fight but to suggest that Fishers takes the prime cuts of your beef and sells it while replacing yours with inferior beef is a pretty **** bold statement. I have known those folks for over 50 years, cannot believe they would ever do something like that. I really cannot believe anyone would even proclaim something like that on this forum based on hearsay.

Completed unrelated but do you have a relative running for office up in that area? Saw some signs Saturday rolling through and the last name stuck out from seeing you on here.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #43
bcmuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county/kansas

My brother use to live in Saint Jo, he took a deer there one time, went to unload it and there were deer carcasses piled up that people had brought in that weren’t gutted and had already started to bloat. He just left and went somewhere else.
bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #44
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Completed unrelated but do you have a relative running for office up in that area? Saw some signs Saturday rolling through and the last name stuck out from seeing you on here.
Yes I do, County Judge. And I do not have any affiliation with fishers, i just know the folks that own it, they are fine folks, would not intentionally cheat anyone. I do have two first cousins that work the meat department, one of them has made their sausage for maybe 30 years, the other is a meat cutter.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #45
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmuzzy View Post
My brother use to live in Saint Jo, he took a deer there one time, went to unload it and there were deer carcasses piled up that people had brought in that weren’t gutted and had already started to bloat. He just left and went somewhere else.
My buddy who use to work there had a guy bring a deer in the Monday after Thanksgiving. It usually wouldn't be that weird except the deer was in the trunk of a car, guts still in it, and the guy shot it on Thanksgiving.

Un-gutted bloating deer probably wasn't a Fischers problem.

Last edited by adam_p; 01-20-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #46
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes I do, County Judge. And I do not have any affiliation with fishers, i just know the folks that own it, they are fine folks, would not intentionally cheat anyone. I do have two first cousins that work the meat department, one of them has made their sausage for maybe 30 years, the other is a meat cutter.

Thatís cool. Since you were from that area and itís a unique name I figured it had to be a relative.

I didnít think you were affiliated at all. Didnít take your comments that way.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #47
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
My buddy who use to work there had a guy bring a deer in the Monday after Thanksgiving. It usually wouldn't be that weird except the deer was in the trunk of a car, guts still in it, and the guy shot it on Thanksgiving.

Un-gutted bloating deer probably wasn't a Fischers problem.

Stories like this and the whole ďbatch sausageĒ deal could very well be the source of my issues.

Going to take them a pack of each this weekend so they can compare it to how they feel it is supposed to taste. We shall see.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #48
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
I donít think I got on here bashing Fischerís at all. Just looking for other guys opinions and trying to figure out what happened with over 100# of sausage that I paid quite a bit of money for.

On the flip side, if some people shy away from them because of this thread I canít say that would bother me. Saving nothing but positive reviews/experiences for the internet or forums is not exactly being honest with people. I did a bunch of research on here about Fischerís before I took my sons deer there. Sure wish I would have found the information that I have read in this thread before hand.

Just my opinion though.
Didnít take it that way and I think this comment is spot on.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #49
TX_LT230FH
Spike

Hunt In: WF

I've used Fischer's several times and have had good luck with the quality each time. It seems that the sausage-making can vary according to the processor in terms of quality and consistency. I had one done several years ago at a place that was closer to the ranch than Fischer's just to give them a try. The jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage was horrible- large chunks of white fat that crumbled when you sliced the log, and occasional bites of rancid-tasting meat. I thought it was a bad log but the others were the same. I tried them again the next year and pulled the meat guy aside and told him that last year's batch tasted like doodoo and gave him a tip to look after my deer. The sausage was great and no complaints about any of the processing.
So I think even the best places can have a bad batch now and then, and, like some of the others here, that is probably from them combining someone's gut-shot overheated deer into the mix. Seems like all the places weigh whatever is left of your deer after taking the backstraps and tenderloins out and that's how much meat you get from the commingled pile.
TX_LT230FH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #50
adam_p
Ten Point

Quote:
Stories like this and the whole ďbatch sausageĒ deal could very well be the source of my issues.

Going to take them a pack of each this weekend so they can compare it to how they feel it is supposed to taste. We shall see.
I donít think they took that particular deer, but batching the meat certainly could have been the issue. A lot to f people donít take care of their game like they should.