Trailering a Side by Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailering a Side by Side

This year I'm looking to buy a side by side and sell the 4 wheeler. Which means I'm probably also going to be in the market for a new trailer. I have lightweight 5x8 tractor supply trailer right now. I'm looking at the smaller UTV's (Mule 610 or Rhino 450). I'm thinking about going to a 6x10 or 6x12. I like the single axle trailer for the ease of moving around, but concerned about the heavier weight on single axle. What does everyone think about this. TIA

Not a problem at all. I have a good friend that is what he uses. He has a Ranger and uses a single axle trailer without any problem at all

Comment

10 ft is kinda short for my pioneer not enough tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would get the 12ft. You never know what else you will he hauling to deer camp. JMO

Comment

Single axles don’t behave near as well behind a truck as a tandem. They’re lighter and easier to man handle, but if you’re hauling it any distance you’ll love the added stability and control of a tandem. I use a 6x12 tandem for my Defender Crew. I’ve got several larger trailers, so I went with a UTV specific trailer. If I need to haul more I’ve got other options.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            Single axles don’t behave near as well behind a truck as a tandem. They’re lighter and easier to man handle, but if you’re hauling it any distance you’ll love the added stability and control of a tandem. I use a 6x12 tandem for my Defender Crew. I’ve got several larger trailers, so I went with a UTV specific trailer. If I need to haul more I’ve got other options.
            Good advice! We have a 5x10 single axle and a 6x16 tandem. The 5x10 is good for most needs but NOT for a Crew UTV. So, the 5x10 just sits while the big boy gets a workout all the time. Ride is much more secure as stated with the tandem plus you have extra room if needed. Plan for future needs and not just for the UTV, you won't regret it IMO.

Comment

We have a 10’ single axle with a ramp at work that we use for a ranger 500. It hauls it just fine at 80mph. There’s not a bunch of extra room, so if you do decide to go with a 4 door UTV, keep that in mind.

Most of the times I take a ATV I use the trailer too. It’s easier to hook it up and load a 4 wheeler than it is to deal with ramps into a pickup bed.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Very good advice

Comment

I haul my ranger on a 6x14 single axle. 4 or 5 times a year I haul the ranger AND a 400 4x4 4wheeler sideways on the front.

But, I had the trailer built to my specs and its heavy with larger axle. It pulls 80 without issue.

That said I could be interested in the what you have for the golf cart

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are looking for a single axle trailer, I would recommend a Parker Performance trailer built in Mt. Pleasant. They are powder coated instead of painted. I bought one new in 2013 to haul my Honda Pioneer 700 side by side. It is 77" wide and 12' long with a ramp style tailgate. It's been a great trailer. I hauled my Honda all over East and West Texas and never had a problem with it. It sat under water for 6 days with my Pioneer on top of it during the Hurricane Harvey floods in '17. The insurance company totaled my Honda but I kept the trailer. All I did was repack the wheel bearings. Everything is fine on the trailer and has very minimal surface rust and its never been kept inside. Never even lost a light bulb. They are well made trailers. In fact, I just ordered another one just like it (except I ordered taller sides with expanded metal on them) as a birthday gift for my son to haul his side by side on. I do agree that if you are going to use it for a crew UTV then you would be better off with a tandem axle trailer. Those crew UTV's are really long and heavy.

Comment

I would recommend the tandem axle. If you are about to spend $8,000, $10,000, $12,000+ on a UTV, it’s worth the piece of mind to have 4 tires instead of 2 in case you have tire trouble while hauling your UTV. The price between a single axle and a tandem is negligible

Comment

Those smaller utv’s don’t weight a whole lot more than some of the four wheelers out these days. For the crew utv’s definitely tandem axles, more weight capacity and wouldn’t get quite as western if you lost a tire on the highway, but you might be just fine with a quality single axle trailer as well with the smaller units.

Comment

I have that setup your speaking of . a mule 610 and 6x12 tractor supply trailer and it works well for me . several trips to west texas with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by eastex56 View Post
                            If you are looking for a single axle trailer, I would recommend a Parker Performance trailer built in Mt. Pleasant. They are powder coated instead of painted. I bought one new in 2013 to haul my Honda Pioneer 700 side by side. It is 77" wide and 12' long with a ramp style tailgate. It's been a great trailer. I hauled my Honda all over East and West Texas and never had a problem with it. It sat under water for 6 days with my Pioneer on top of it during the Hurricane Harvey floods in '17. The insurance company totaled my Honda but I kept the trailer. All I did was repack the wheel bearings. Everything is fine on the trailer and has very minimal surface rust and its never been kept inside. Never even lost a light bulb. They are well made trailers. In fact, I just ordered another one just like it (except I ordered taller sides with expanded metal on them) as a birthday gift for my son to haul his side by side on. I do agree that if you are going to use it for a crew UTV then you would be better off with a tandem axle trailer. Those crew UTV's are really long and heavy.
                            This is great to hear, my wife's uncle, Roy Parker is the owner of Parker Trailers. I have one of his trailers in my yard that I bought in 2006 that is still in great shape, and used constantly. I am also planning to have him build me a custom 32'er to haul a dozer on very soon.

Comment

I have been pulling a Ranger 800 all over this state, often 6+ hours one way, on a single axle 5x10 trailer since 2013. Several of those trips the Ranger and trailer was hooked behind a 31’ bumper pull camper and it always pulled just fine.

I drive at least the posted pretty much no matter what I’m pulling unless weather dictates otherwise.

Single axle is more than sufficient for your current needs, do you plan to add things that need to be hauled in addition to the UTV?

Comment

Working...
                              X