Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas
Default Lesson learned

My 16 year old learned a lesson today. We were at the lease trying to get an axis, blackbuck...or just some kind of exotic. We had zero success but another guy was there and he shot a nice fat doe and brought it back to hang it up and clean it.
He got it skinned an the front shoulders off and back straps off. He trimmed the neck and then split it open to get to the tenders and he was going to take the ribs as well. As he was taking the innards out, his wife was saying ďeeww gross, thatís weird, whatís this part whatís that part, etc....
She pointed to an object and said ďwhatís thatĒ and he said ďitís her bladder and good lord itís fullĒ
I was just hanging around doin this and cleaning up that but had to stop and tell him (much to his shock and I thought she was gonna pass out) ďummmmm, thatís not her bladder and itís not full of urine, that is her uterus and that is amniotic fluid and an embryoĒ
I picked it up and told my son ďThis....this right here is why I stress to you to take your doeís early in the seasonĒ

He got the message

I took pics to show my other kids to help drive that point home but I hesitate to post them here
K. Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I’ve seen this in doe late in the season, actually had a deer in there..
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Well, I must be dumb.. What's the message?
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Well, I must be dumb.. What's the message?
Well the lesson I wanted him to learn was that if you kill a doe late in the season you are more than likely killing at least 2 deer
Yes, I know if you kill em early they wonít breed and in essence you are still eliminating more than just the doe from the herd but at least there isnít a viable embryo involved

May be a screwed up way to look at it but it is the way I look at it and want my kids to understand it to
Old 12-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
Iíve seen this in doe late in the season, actually had a deer in there..

Definitely a recognizable embryo in there. If enough folks want the pics, Iíll post em
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

Hunted axis for years and they are always pregnant....really doesn't matter what time of the year
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

I don't like it but don't see how it makes a logical difference.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Killing an unbred doe vs a bred doe has the exact same effect on the deer herd. Thereís literally no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Better than a full term fawn.

I had a co worker who thought he was shooting a really fat doe, on a Thanks Giving weekend in Llano back in the 1980s.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Tomato /tomato.

Zero net effect.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Killing an unbred doe vs a bred doe has the exact same effect on the deer herd. Thereís literally no difference.

Really?

You kill a doe early and she wonít have a fawn (or two) next fall but if you kill the same doe later in the year then she wonít have a fawn...

I never understood the logic either.

A dead doe will not produce any more offspring no matter what time she is killed. I have hunted on an MLD on doe hunts and the biologist usually cut open the uterus of a doe no matter the time of year. One doe I killed very early in the season had twin fawns about an inch long. I guess if I would have killed her a few weeks later, it would have been more obvious but she would have been no more pregnant.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Really?

You kill a doe early and she wonít have a fawn (or two) next fall but if you kill the same doe later in the year then she wonít have a fawn...

Yes really. You just explained it yourself.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
K. Lane
Ten Point

I agree with yíall that it makes no difference it just SEEMS ( I know it makes no sense) different when there is a 6 or 7 inch embryo in there
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
TxAg
Pope & Young

Seems like a pointless message to teach the kid
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Seems like a pointless message to teach the kid
Good thing he ainít your kid I guess. Iím sure a lot of what you teach your kids is pointless as well
Old 12-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
Good thing he ainít your kid I guess. Iím sure a lot of what you teach your kids is pointless as well

You just said you agreed that it doesnít make a difference. So what is the message youíre trying to teach?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #17
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
You just agreed in this very thread that killing a doe early season or late season accomplishes the same thing. It "seems" different is not relevant

I'm glad you have your kid out hunting. I'm sure you're a great dad, and I hate that so many kids have crappy parents these days. I guess I just don't see the point of this thread. Hope yall have some luck in the morning!
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #18
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Yes really. You just explained it yourself.

I thought the sarcasm was obvious and saying that I never understood the logic overcame any doubt.

Apparently not.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #19
tvc184
Pope & Young

..... unless you were doing the same and I missed it.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:30 PM   #20
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree with yíall that it makes no difference it just SEEMS ( I know it makes no sense) different when there is a 6 or 7 inch embryo in there
Bonus, those are the ones you wrap in bacon.

What hurts is an early season doe whoís fawn walks out after the shot and watches you load up momma.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #21
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
I thought the sarcasm was obvious and saying that I never understood the logic overcame any doubt.

Apparently not.

I think Iím just too thick headed to see it lol

Old 12-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #22
Wechebuck
Four Point

The way I look at it is this. Not every doe gets bred every year; so therefore if you shoot a doe before she is bred another doe could be bred in her place. My two cents worth.
Wechebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 11:48 PM   #23
ccolley68
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado, Real County, George West

I actually prefer to shoot does later in the year. A doe early in the year may still have a suckling fawn reliant on her, and I don’t want to lose a fawn. A doe late in the year may have been bred, but fresh born fawns have a very high likelihood of succumbing to nature with predators and other perils when it’s not hunting season, so I don’t see that loss of shooting a doe that has been bred as impactful as a fawn early in the season that may have needed a few more weeks to be independent losing its mother. Shoot her bred, or shoot her not bred, and her output for the year is the same.
ccolley68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 AM   #24
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

Meh, shot them early or late same result. Dead doe. In some counties taking out a bred doe is actually better for the herd in that a lot of people shoot 0 does. Therefore the ratio is like 18:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #25
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Had a female family member who quit hunting because she shot a bred doe late in the season a few months after she’d had a miscarriage and it messed her up pretty bad for awhile, and she still doesn’t hunt 25 years later after being a serious hunter for several years. But other than possibly upsetting someone, there’s really no difference to the herd if you shoot a doe early or late.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 01:57 AM   #26
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Does this mean if a woman gets her tubes tied it's the same as having an abortion?
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 02:08 AM   #27
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I shoot them in late November because I use them as live decoys. Taking a future deer out of the population is the same to me early or late. I did shoot one the first day of bow season that had her fawn with her. I couldn't hunt the stand for a while because the fawn hung around calling for momma.
Grndchecker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 AM   #28
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:

Apparently not.

It was obvious to ALMOST everyone
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #29
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Iíll strategically shoot does earlier in the season that still have their buck fawns hanging around, but thatís the only benefit I really see to taking them earlier in the season.

Itís not uncommon to find twins the size of large squirrels during the later antlerless seasons, but other than possibly being traumatic to someone not expecting it there is no harm and no net difference in herd dynamics that I can see.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #30
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County & South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Does this mean if a woman gets her tubes tied it's the same as having an abortion?
If you had put a smiley after this, I'd have been totally on board with your sarcasm.
Since you didn't, and if you were actually trying to make a point of some kind, it's just a ridiculous question, akin to comparing apples to automobiles

Last edited by HeyMikey; 12-29-2019 at 08:34 AM.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #31
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Killed a doe on a late season TPWD antlerless hunt

Biologist pulled embryo and measured it and got a real good idea of the time doe had been bred

Only disadvantage I see to killing any doe after the rut is if you think doe was bred by a buck that you want to continue his genetic influence

Can be a shock to new or non-hunters to see
I can certainly see where it would be upsetting to the lady above who had recently had a miscarriage
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #32
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Only liberals kill does after November, ‘cuz ‘bortion.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #33
Xrod
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wechebuck View Post
The way I look at it is this. Not every doe gets bred every year; so therefore if you shoot a doe before she is bred another doe could be bred in her place. My two cents worth.
James Kroll had an article that explained this very clearly. It makes a difference.
Xrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
elhefe
Ten Point

Makes no difference when you shoot them in my mind however, I don’t like cleaning them and seeing the embryos in there. It’s all psychological but it kind of makes me a touch sad. Because of that I try to get them early but if needed, would shoot one late
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #35
SHSU18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Had this debate last night. Either way you are killing a doe that will have babies next year.
SHSU18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #36
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County & South Africa

Any deer (or animal) killed, is a deer that can't have (or father) babies..........Biology 101
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #37
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhefe View Post
Makes no difference when you shoot them in my mind however, I donít like cleaning them and seeing the embryos in there. Itís all psychological but it kind of makes me a touch sad. Because of that I try to get them early but if needed, would shoot one late

This is kind of the point I was making before the post kinda went a bit south in my opinion but i am sure it was my verbiage that failed to get my point across

The lesson I was trying to teach him that it isnít just a dead deer, his pulling the trigger or letting an arrow fly has repercussions that effect things well past that moment and unless he misses... its repercussions that canít be changed. I know it doesnít effect the herd anymore than shooting them early but it is a harsh (to some anyway) visual reminder that it is more than just an old doe laying there dead. That is the lesson that I was trying to pass on to him

I know itís probably still as clear as mud and there are some that will think that my attempted lesson is pointless and my thoughts and the way I see things are not relevant
Old 12-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #38
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
This is kind of the point I was making before the post kinda went a bit south in my opinion but i am sure it was my verbiage that failed to get my point across

The lesson I was trying to teach him that it isnít just a dead deer, his pulling the trigger or letting an arrow fly has repercussions that effect things well past that moment and unless he misses... its repercussions that canít be changed. I know it doesnít effect the herd anymore than shooting them early but it is a harsh (to some anyway) visual reminder that it is more than just an old doe laying there dead. That is the lesson that I was trying to pass on to him

I know itís probably still as clear as mud and there are some that will think that my attempted lesson is pointless and my thoughts and the way I see things are not relevant
I think the majority got it but like to pile on for theatrical effect! Your kid and you know how to lead him in this world. Carry on!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #39
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

Quote:

Youíre good. I think many took your OP as an attempt to make a debatable management-related point.

You have since made it pretty clear that your point was one of unintended consequences.

bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #40
McElroyBowHunt
Four Point

Hunt In: Livingston LA, Sorrento LA

In my area in Southeast Louisiana it is state law that you cannot kill does until October 15th because the fawns are born so late in the summer they need their mom to survive early bow season.....just saying.
McElroyBowHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #41
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Tomato /tomato.

Zero net effect.
Exactly right.

If you're going to teach your children something teach them something that matters.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #42
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
Exactly right.

If you're going to teach your children something teach them something that matters.
Wow
What a ****in ******nozzle
Old 12-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #43
K. Lane
Ten Point

Last edited by K. Lane; 12-29-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #44
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

this thread has made a hilarious turn.

smh
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #45
Chubb
Four Point

Quote:
Wow

Do you even have kids and are they all cock lickers like you
Goodness. I never had a teacher that talked like that.
Chubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Wow
If you have not already realized it...there are a number of real tools on here. The ignore function is wonderful.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #47
K. Lane
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
If you have not already realized it...there are a number of real tools on here. The ignore function is wonderful.
Yeah... I forget about that jewel
Old 12-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #48
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Some of you fellas don’t let anything go. Y’all this worked up in real life!?
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #49
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton
Default Tp&w needs to learn a lesson

They want you to shoot does that are bred out
Itís a special extended season take advantage of it or donít
Itís population control
I wish they would get this season open down in places like goliad and north of Victoria 20 to 1 ratio
Attached Images

pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #50
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
Goodness. I never had a teacher that talked like that.
Lmao
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top