Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County
Default Shooting range close call

I went to my local outdoor shooting range earlier today and almost witnessed a disaster. A father and his sons were rifle plinking well the range officer called a cease fire. A man was setting up a new target, he got about 10 feet from the shooting line when all of a sudden a shot rang out. We all froze I looked at the man walking he looked like he saw a ghost then I looked to my left and a cloud of dust built up a few inches from the dads foot. The son thought the rifle wasnít loaded and pulled the trigger. It scared the crap out of all of us, the son got his azz chewed out big time.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

And this is why I donít do public shooting ranges
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

I’m always nervous and on guard around the public ranges. The ones I shoot at are pretty strict so I’ve never witnessed anything like this, glad no one got hurt.
droebuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure
forced-2-work is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
topduarte
Pope & Young

Wow but i thought all range stoppages required guns to be left at the shooting box and not bring them with u when u step back.

At least they do that at Reds.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

Wow crazy. Glad nobody got hurt.
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

SMH...

So much fail.

There's a reason why you don't fondle guns when the range is called cold, even if they "aren't loaded"

Glad no one got hurt
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
newmathewsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

Scary! No good reason for that kind of crap! The kid needs to spend some time really learning the 10 commandments of gun safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I had my 7 yo daughter with me, it had me thinking. The son was around 11-12 yo, they didn’t have the best gun safety etiquette....
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

The members on this site could fill a book on the idiot mistakes they have seen at public gun ranges. Glad I don't have to shoot at them.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I no longer go to public ranges. Had several close calls. Just not worth it.
yotethumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Public ranges are the worst, I have zero problem dropping $200 a year for my range membership.

Even the Fudds trying to make up rules about rapid fire are an a-ok trade to not get muzzled every time I go to the range...
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #13
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
This
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
UltraMax
Ten Point

Close one.

Was at my local members only range one day about 3 years ago. Even though it is a strict place, accidents can and will happen. A family was shooting at a table in the middle of the firing line and a competition shooter was proned out shooting an Anshultz type 22 on one of the ends of the range. Next thing I know one of the familes’ kids (prolly 12 or so) takes off down the range and makes it about 30 yards before I see her. As I yell cease fire the Anshultz shooter squeezes off a round. With his competition garb on he didn’t see the kid down range. No one was hurt but it still scared the crap out of us. Especially him. The shooter felt bad but it wasn’t his fault, the range was hot.

Last edited by UltraMax; 12-27-2019 at 05:09 PM.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
Billy Bad Bass
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmathewsfan View Post
Scary! No good reason for that kind of crap! The kid needs to spend some time really learning the 10 commandments of gun safety.

The Dad needs a refresher as well.
Billy Bad Bass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #16
Yamahamma
Four Point

Hunt In: A little in Montgomery Co, A little in Webb Co.

Every range I've ever been to, for personal or competition, when cease fire is called out, guns are laid down, chamber open or put in a rack. No one is allowed to be at their station (table), until it's clear and HOT is called. Very lucky this time.
Yamahamma is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #17
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Dad should have been the one getting his butt reamed. I watch my son like a hawk and walk him though loading and making the gun safe every single time.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #18
awry
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Dad should have been the one getting his butt reamed. I watch my son like a hawk and walk him though loading and making the gun safe every single time.
Agree
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #19
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Went to our local range, we have no oversight, it's just you relying on knowing shooting/firearms safety, me and the grandboys were about halfway through checking the zero on gun cabinet relics when 2 vehicles of people show up, they're unloading gear and getting set up, then the older guy just walks out onto the range while I'm touching off rounds. I immediately stop shooting and tell my boys to load our stuff, I announce to them, loud enough for the other group to hear, "we sure as hell don't need to be around when they go to shooting if they haven't got enough sense to watch out for themselves"! First time I've been to the range in years, likely be a long time before I go back. I know to many landowners with caliche pits to deal with that!
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

guns down hands up, when safety is concern on a range
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #21
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

And where was the Range Safety Officer? Should have checked all weapons before calling Range Cold
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #22
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Shooting range close call

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced-2-work View Post
the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure

Our shooting club is same way. All
Guns have to be on the rack before anyone can go down range.

Op that is scary.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by manwitaplan; 12-27-2019 at 05:52 PM.
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #23
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

Quote:
Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

Quote:
Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench. Only then is the range called cold.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #25
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
Yep once a cease fire is called open the action and step away from the bench.
Yessir. I always make it a point to leave the action open as well.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #26
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I agree the dad should have been paying better attention but ultimately that’s on the range officer - that’s what they are there for. Not everybody knows the rules, others are just idiots.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #27
bowmansdad
Pope & Young

Action open and gun in the rack behind your bench.
bowmansdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

You always gotta be watching out for other people because they ain't always watching out for you. I've never been to an indoor range or even a range that had any sort of order to it at all. Just shooting whenever ready. I've also had one of my friends almost shoot me in the head from point blank range because he was jacking around not paying attention. Had I not been paying attention I might be taking a big *** nap right now. Instead my left ear just rang really loud for a while.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #29
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

There is a range I have shot on many times over the years. They have a berm built on three sides of the pistol range, which is to the left of the rifle range. Just on the right side of the berm that divides the pistol from the rifle range, is the 25 yard range, with one or two target stands, then the 50 yard range to the right of that with one or two target stands. Then a bunch of 100 yard target stands.

On about three different occasions I have walked down to the 50 yard target stands, while someone was shooting on the pistol range. To this day, I don't know what the people on the pistol range were shooting at, but on three different occasions, I had bullets whizzing past me, not like one or two, more like five to either rounds. Each time I tried yelling at the person or people on the pistol range, they never heard me. I confronted whoever was on the pistol range and asked what they were shooting at, each time they got bent out of shape and told me they were shooting at the targets on the stands and there was no way bullets were going down the rifle range. Which I would agree, there should be no way bullets should be going down the rifle range, from the pistol range, if the guys are shooting at targets on the target stands and hitting the target stands. But I still don't think they were shooting at targets on the target stands. The berms are much higher than target stands and directly behind them. Then there are berms of the same height to the right and left of the rear berm. I still don't know how they manage to get bullets over that berm and then go down the rifle range, but there was no question, I was dodging ricocheted handgun bullets.
After the third time it happened, I absolutely won't go down the rifle range, if someone is shooting on the pistol range.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #30
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I always go at odd times when few people are there..and I can talk to all and get verbal and turn Red Light on before I ever take a step towards Targets...no touching guns while red light on
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #31
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

That's why I go during the week. Its usually just me.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #32
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Never been to a public range and stories like this make me have no desire to ever set foot on one
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 10:13 PM   #33
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
Close one.

Was at my local members only range one day about 3 years ago. Even though it is a strict place, accidents can and will happen. A family was shooting at a table in the middle of the firing line and a competition shooter was proned out shooting an Anshultz type 22 on one of the ends of the range. Next thing I know one of the familesí kids (prolly 12 or so) takes off down the range and makes it about 30 yards before I see her. As I yell cease fire the Anshultz shooter squeezes off a round. With his competition garb on he didnít see the kid down range. No one was hurt but it still scared the crap out of us. Especially him. The shooter felt bad but it wasnít his fault, the range was hot.
Mind sharing the location? Wondering if I know the competition shooter
brianlg31 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #34
Texas89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

Very rare that I go to a public range and the one I do go to is extremely strict.

Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #35
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
This, and no one goes down range until the Range Officers declare everyone has stepped back.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 11:30 PM   #36
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I have been to probably 5 different public ranges in my life and only seen one ďrange officerĒ. That is why I joined a members only range with strict rules.

TX CHICKEN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 11:46 PM   #37
taylormade820
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county

That’s freaking scary.... I try not to go to a range either but sometimes I have to. I think about accidents but the range officers at Elm Fork do a pretty darn good job.
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 12:23 AM   #38
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
There is a range I have shot on many times over the years. They have a berm built on three sides of the pistol range, which is to the left of the rifle range. Just on the right side of the berm that divides the pistol from the rifle range, is the 25 yard range, with one or two target stands, then the 50 yard range to the right of that with one or two target stands. Then a bunch of 100 yard target stands.

On about three different occasions I have walked down to the 50 yard target stands, while someone was shooting on the pistol range. To this day, I don't know what the people on the pistol range were shooting at, but on three different occasions, I had bullets whizzing past me, not like one or two, more like five to either rounds. Each time I tried yelling at the person or people on the pistol range, they never heard me. I confronted whoever was on the pistol range and asked what they were shooting at, each time they got bent out of shape and told me they were shooting at the targets on the stands and there was no way bullets were going down the rifle range. Which I would agree, there should be no way bullets should be going down the rifle range, from the pistol range, if the guys are shooting at targets on the target stands and hitting the target stands. But I still don't think they were shooting at targets on the target stands. The berms are much higher than target stands and directly behind them. Then there are berms of the same height to the right and left of the rear berm. I still don't know how they manage to get bullets over that berm and then go down the rifle range, but there was no question, I was dodging ricocheted handgun bullets.
After the third time it happened, I absolutely won't go down the rifle range, if someone is shooting on the pistol range.

Sounds exactly like the range out past my house in Comal County
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 12:35 AM   #39
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

A few years ago, I had to chew my BILs butt. I have a 100 yard range off my cabin deck. I shoot down the entrance to my camp area, which has a pond and dam another 200 yards past my target. My 55 acres is a little over a mile from the county road.

I called to find out when he was getting here, he said he was an hour and a half out...so I started shooting. After about 10-15 rounds, I hop on the 4 wheeler to change the target, he shows up as i was changing the target paper...I was ticked.

Since the incident, I now put out a sign that says I’m shooting, go no further.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 01:21 AM   #40
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

The gun range I've gone to for years is a family run operation. The original owner was a really nice older guy that I never had a single issue with in all the years I've gone out there. He passed away a couple of years ago and now his wife and son run the place. I get along fine with the wife but the son is bipolar or something. He lacks ANY sort of tact whatsoever and seems to walk around with a chip on his shoulder just looking to jump someone for screwing up. He's cost this establishment more money and customers than you can even fathom. He acts like he's mad at the world.

But at the end of the day, most of his barking is aimed (no pun intended) toward the idiots that don't follow the range rules. Hang around gun ranges as much as I do and you see some stupid stuff, trust me.
I have zero tolerance for anyone approaching a bench during a cease fire. When I'm down range adjusting or looking at targets I don't want you messing with your firearm on the bench. Drives me crazy!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 04:47 AM   #41
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Hate public ranges with a passion.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #42
DRettele
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Quote:
^^^ THIS

And I call out anyone who doesn't back away from the shooting benches.
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #43
gfulton
Eight Point

Probably get flamed for this but might a need a age limit on public ranges.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #44
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfulton View Post
Probably get flamed for this but might a need a age limit on public ranges.
Agree to Disagree. Teach Them Young
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #45
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Our range requires breech/bolts open and everyone that's not going to the target has to step back about 6 feet. Rangemasters are ***** but they have to be because of stupid people.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #46
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

The gun club here doesn’t have any sort of RO/SO, and I appreciate that. Usually folks just communicate when someone is going down range. I have had to get on to a few people about sweeping, but usually it’s pretty safe.

RO’s on the line usually just **** me off.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #47
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Where was this CM? I live here in Harlingen
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #48
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCulloch County

We donít do ranges period. We have private land places to shoot but this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #49
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post

This

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #50
wentwort
Nubbin' Buck

So glad nobody was hurt. But that is why no one should be touching a gun when people are down range and the range officer hasn’t called the range hot.
wentwort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top