Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada
Default Low Fenced Hunting Ranch - Buying Advice

If you were looking to buy a low fenced ranch what would you look for. In other words.......

What features would you want the place to have?

What areas would you be looking at, where the hunting criteria desired is lots of game including exotics?
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
bownut
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I'm looking for another ranch now and the number one thing I'm looking for is water. Would love to have a creek that runs through it. But it at least must have a pond or 2. Of course plenty of hardwoods
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
GarGuy
Pope & Young

If its low fence it must be big. Even then it might requiring fencing some sides.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

It would depend on a couple things. If money wasn’t a big deal, my biggest thing would be size. You can do a lot on low fence with bigger acreage. If I was on a budget I’d buy in a place with a high deer density, so you’d at least have a good number of deer. I own a smaller place here where I live, deer are hit and miss, I’ve killed two bucks in 8 years. Having property is a lot of work, a lot of work. If I had to over again, I probably wouldn’t buy property. I spend too much time keeping up with it, to me it’s not worth it. If I was a loaded and could pay someone to do it, it would be different. But everybody has different dreams. To me, there’s not much worse than mowing, shredding, fixing roads, fences etc. and no benefit other than to say I have property.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
It would depend on a couple things. If money wasn’t a big deal, my biggest thing would be size. You can do a lot on low fence with bigger acreage. If I was on a budget I’d buy in a place with a high deer density, so you’d at least have a good number of deer. I own a smaller place here where I live, deer are hit and miss, I’ve killed two bucks in 8 years. Having property is a lot of work, a lot of work. If I had to over again, I probably wouldn’t buy property. I spend too much time keeping up with it, to me it’s not worth it. If I was a loaded and could pay someone to do it, it would be different. But everybody has different dreams. To me, there’s not much worse than mowing, shredding, fixing roads, fences etc. and no benefit other than to say I have property.
I know what you mean about taking care of a property. I have a little land in Wisconsin and when I first bought it every time we went to visit I spent all my time clearing trees that had fallen over blocking the ATV roads. I finally got someone to take care of that for me (in exchange for being able to hunt there.) Now i haven't had time to make a trip to hunt there the past 2 years.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownut View Post
I'm looking for another ranch now and the number one thing I'm looking for is water. Would love to have a creek that runs through it. But it at least must have a pond or 2. Of course plenty of hardwoods
Thanks, there definitely seems to be a trade off between the size of a property and water. Water seems to drive the price up in a hurry!! I am wondering what the importance is for hunting vs the size of a property? Just an observation window shopping online.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
If its low fence it must be big. Even then it might requiring fencing some sides.
Great point, I personally would not want that responsibility of anything under a high fence.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Plenty trees/brush, terrain change of sorts, water and good fences. I wouldnt want a flat piece of cattle pasture with little to no brush. I would prefer to have to clear lanes vs try and figure out how to hunt the only three trees on the property. Size of course depends on budget, but as much as you could afford. Lastly, I think I would buy in north Texas or around Camp Wood if it were me. I love the terrain and exotics in Camp Wood, but north Texas has some bruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

When I had property (other than the home place) I didn’t begrudge the time I spent there, although it was a lot, but I spent too much money for the return. I enjoyed most of the work, mowing, repairing creek crossings, food plotting, etc., and had good equipment to do it with. But for what I got out of it vs money spent each year, I could have taken a nice guided or outfitted hunt. I kinda neglected my home place too, so there’s that. I sold it, haven’t regretted a minute, and don’t have any plans to buy another.

Having said all that, if you’re a young guy, have the resources to buy, you’re certainly not gonna lose any money. That old adage about land, “they ain’t making any more of it” is true. Just don’t give too much for it.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Spend hours and hours and then more hours on Lands of Texas. Took me many years to find the property I bought. You have to find the needle in the hay stack that suits just you.

Mine was a property that was not taken care of and needed lots of work. Bordered a State Park and had only two huge neighboring ranches.

Up to you to choose lots of deer or fewer but bigger deer. What you like as far as East Texas pines, hill country, pastures, cactus or whatever...Since Texas has it all.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

Location, budget, amenities
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #12
Thetoe
Four Point

If it was up to me, I'd look for terrain and water. After that, animals and whatnot.
Thetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
monsterspike
Ten Point

something where the taxes are low, and exemptions are in place. smaller parcel neighbors are good, if its decent folks, and as long as you have water, and the best bedding.

try to border wide open ag, national forest, lake, or live river. have enough room for undisturbed sanctuary, and be strict about it.
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

good neighbors?
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
DZM
Six Point

Hunt In: Shackelford, Jones, & Jack County

I look for very little road frontage, place I have right now only has road frontage on one side for about a 1/4 mile. That way you have more huntable acreage and less traffic & lookers. The one I have under contract right now has a deeded easement to get to it. Zero frontage, and 100% huntable acreage. A lot of good points above too, good luck in your search. Nothing like hunting your own piece of ground.
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
Baygall
Eight Point

Live water!
Baygall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #17
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

It took a lot of looking to find our little piece of Texas, but we did really good checking off things on our list.

Water -- Good wells, tanks, creeks, whatever.

I like that we don't have road frontage - we have an easement that is about a mile long

Cover - And I don't mean a bunch of useless cedar.

Terrain - I like some elevation change.

Fences - we got some of this and then put up the rest. Fences are essential for keeping cows....OUT

Ours has a spot near the front to put the house so you don't have to drive through and disturb the ranch.

I kind of dread the day we have to start the looking process again - good luck with your search!
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #18
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
If you were looking to buy a low fenced ranch what would you look for. In other words.......

What areas would you be looking at, where the hunting criteria desired is lots of game including exotics?
Segovia has a ton of exotics, maybe a viable area for you.

My father and I ended up buying a place in North Central TX. The selling points for us were:

1. It was affordable - we paid cash, granted it’s only 125 acres.
2. It is covered in brush, mesquite, like oak, and post oak with maybe 5 cedar trees on the whole place.
3. It has a 15 acre lake completely within our fence line (this was the game changer for us).
4. It has good fences
5. It has a great population of deer with an unusual number of 130 - 140 class bucks
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

I’d look for a place that was pretty far off of a county road. That way, meth heads don’t rob you blind. After that, how much is water and electric gonna cost? How big a tractor you gonna need? Will you have money left over for a cabin? I bought 55 acres 6 years ago...I’ve killed one deer. The property is a distraction, but I love working it.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #20
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Big ranch neighbors with low fences
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #21
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post

High roller!😂. Don’t forget your old friends!😂
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #22
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
High roller!😂. Don’t forget your old friends!😂
Haha, it costs nothing to look on the internet and ponder.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #23
crumrw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
good neighbors?
This
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #24
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesl View Post
good neighbors?

This is most important thing especially if we are talking something under 500 acres.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
Tester
Spike

I'm kinda partial to East Texas - like that pine trees have value and you can hunt and enjoy your property while making $. No exotics tho but there are plenty of hogs! Also, with timber harvest and reforestation, your landscape is constantly changing which creates good food sources for the wildlife.
Tester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #26
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester View Post
I'm kinda partial to East Texas - like that pine trees have value and you can hunt and enjoy your property while making $. No exotics tho but there are plenty of hogs! Also, with timber harvest and reforestation, your landscape is constantly changing which creates good food sources for the wildlife.
Lol he asked about hill country. What is pine like $40 a ton? Then when you clear you’ve got some ugly stump fest? I wouldn’t be surprised if hill country land appreciates better in a few years than one good load of lumber cut.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

<<—————First thing I would do is call this guy.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #28
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Neighbors! If you have anti-hunting or shoot everything that moves neighbors it will be hard on you. The land around is crucial too. We lease 350 acres that is cut into three parts and they are not next to each other. Our best deer piece is about 100 acres but has big tree acreage on two sides and we get good deer crossing from both sides.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #29
DeadEyeB
Eight Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

it's pretty impossible to know what your neighbors would be like when you are looking for a ranch. So probably have to gauge it on the size of your neighbors. You can use the county tax assessor websites to figure out the size of the property around a property you are interested in.

Bottom line bigger the neighbors the better when you are going in blind. Otherwise you have to take the owner's word for it.

Key for that would be if they have plenty of game cam pictures of mature bucks. If they do you can kind of assume some things about the hunters in the area.
DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 05:35 PM   #30
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Neighbors can make or break a property. And don't always assume having a big ranch as a neighbor is a good thing. Our biggest neighbor is 1200 acres and they have 12 lease hunters working against us. Our 130 and 300 acre neighbors hardly hunt at all.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #31
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

I've been looking myself lately but with the intentions of putting up a higher than normal fences. I've found some places that I like but nothing just perfect so far.

I'm looking for
1. normal shaped property to minimize fencing costs.
2. stock tanks/wells but no live water. The fewer water gaps the cheaper the fencing project.
3. electricity somewhere along the border of or on the property.
4. within 2 hours of my home
5. no o&g wells or 0&g traffic on the place.
6. don't really care about getting minerals just don't want a place that has lots of traffic or is likely to have traffic in the future.
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #32
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

If anyone is looking for a big place, let me know. The place that neighbors my dads will be for sale in a year or two. Has a landing strip too.

If I were in the market today, I would look for a place close to family or friends to help scratch each others back. I also would look for a place that wasnt well kept so I could buy cheap and improve. Then you weigh location vs size vs cost. Go west young man....for more land at a better value. Stay closer to the big cities and pay more for less land but a short drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #33
az2tx
Pope & Young

Location, location, location, access, utilities available, water, no small neighbors or someone selling off 40 acre parcels

If it is too far from where you live you won't go there as often. If your too far from town it will be a pain to get a piece of hardware or a gallon of milk
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #34
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Water and cleared cedars. I assume you’re talking about the hill country. I’d look for the biggest piece of land you can afford, year round water and plenty of oak trees. Preferably house/cabin out of flash flood zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #35
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
<<—————First thing I would do is call this guy.

10-4, I’m not serious enough to call you just yet.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #36
steve morton
Ten Point

Big neighbors!
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #37
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I think electricity is important to have.

Beware of the Carta Valley area. Attractive prices but it's Anthrax alley.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #38
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Location location location
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top