LED Light Bars and cubes. Need information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to get opinions on some of the LED light bars and cubes that some of you guys are using or have experience with. I have a beach fishing trailer that is am placing some light bars and cubes onto, this will be for fishing at night at the beach.

What I am thinking is placing on the two sides of the trailer to light bars. Not sure of the size of the bar because I don’t have any experience with light bars. But I was thinking 40-50 or so inches on both sides. The main purpose is to be able to see into the water.

Then I was thinking two cubes at the back of the trailer and two cubes at the front of the trailer just to give total visibility around the camp area.

I know I can purchase the really expensive lights and probably get everything I need from those. But the cost of 2 light bars and 4 cubes for the expensive ones will cost almost the amount of the trailer.

Does anyone have experience with the cheaper lights? If so what are they and can you provide links? Really looking forward to everyone’s opinion and experience. Thanks.

Probably find tons of info if you do a search.

I have had good luck with opt7 brand.

Seems like they would suck a lot of juice running all night with no alternator on the vehicle running. Have you planned for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      Probably find tons of info if you do a search.

I have had good luck with opt7 brand.

Seems like they would suck a lot of juice running all night with no alternator on the vehicle running. Have you planned for that?
      I did do a search and there isn’t that much information here. As for the power source I was thinking of running a couple of gel marine batteries. I would only need to run the lights for a maximum of two nights. I however will not be running them all night, it would be for when there is a fish on the line and when we are still up in the earlier part of the night: making food or just enjoying the evening. In additional to that I was going to get some LED strip lights to run the underside of the platform to provide ambient light when the bars and cubes are not on.

I was hoping that the 2 gel batteries would be enough. If they aren’t I also have a small honda generator that I could bring to provide power but I would rather just have the 2 batteries. But I really don’t have enough experience with them so you could very well be correct. That is one of the reasons I am asking for experience and opinions. Do you think 2 batteries is enough?

Comment

Nothing wrong with the cheap ones. I too have had great luck with the OPT7 brand off amazon.

How to calculate power use:

Light wattage/12 = amps

Battery will have an amp-hr rating. If battery is 50 amp-hr and you are drawing 5 amps you get 10hrs with a perfect battery.

For what the 2 gel cell batteries will cost I’d just buy an ac-dc converter and run your Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by 175gr7.62; 03-30-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I have five or so cheap ones bought on Amazon. As in less than $50 cheap. I’m happy with them and they are still working after several years.

Comment

Don’t cheap out, spend a little extra money and you won’t have the headaches.

Comment

I’ve had terrible luck with everything made by OPT7.

The light bars I’ve been the happiest with have been Aurora and Extreme LED (TBH sponsor). I’ve only run Rigid cubes so I have no input there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’ve got cheap LED light bars all over the place. Lol. Not an issue at all. Best part is, if one craps out just drop $20 for another one.

OP, you don’t need a 40” light bar. I have a 20” on my boat and a 10” on my hunting buggies and they’re super bright. The little 10” on my golf cart is actually too bright.
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  I’ve got cheap LED light bars all over the place. Lol. Not an issue at all. Best part is, if one craps out just drop $20 for another one.

OP, you don’t need a 40” light bar. I have a 20” on my boat and a 10” on my hunting buggies and they’re super bright. The little 10” on my golf cart is actually too bright.
                  Do you think it would provide the same output in the beach? Sometimes you have the mist off the water

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    Nothing wrong with the cheap ones. I too have had great luck with the OPT7 brand off amazon.

Light wattage/12 = amps

Battery will have an amp-hr rating. If battery is 50 amp-hr and you are drawing 5 amps you get 10hrs with a perfect battery.

For what the 2 gel cell batteries will cost I’d just buy an ac-dc converter and run your Honda.

Glad you gave me that information. I didn’t know that.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                      Do you think it would provide the same output in the beach? Sometimes you have the mist off the water
                      I’m not sure. The little 10” easily lights up 75 yards, maybe more. I didn’t want it that bright. Lol. I went and took a couple pics, the big tree in my yard is about 60 yards away, the fence is about 75.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-30-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

Light wattage/12 = amps

This is correct, but make sure the watts you use are the actual watts not the effective lighting watts most light bar sellers advertise. The other way to do this is to use one of the cheap HF electrical meters and measure the actual amp draw. You will probably be surprised at how low it is.

Comment

Nilights off Amazon are good. They are cheaper than most. I know a lot of off road guys use them. I've never had any issues. I agree on the generator. Or at least have it on hand to use to charge the battery on occasion when the noise wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                            Nilights off Amazon are good. They are cheaper than most. I know a lot of off road guys use them. I've never had any issues. I agree on the generator. Or at least have it on hand to use to charge the battery on occasion when the noise wouldn't be an issue.
                            Thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Ebay has good ones too. Bought a 30" green led light bar off eBay for under $100 and it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X