Office Etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    If my testicles were caught in a bear trap and the only way I could get them out was to start a post on TBH for help...I'd just learn to live with it.
    Oh, but then we would have no drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      I can see how it's confusing, but yes, I did mention that 23 people report to 5 supervisors who report to the manager of the department. Myself and the gal in question are two of the five supervisors.
      Is she significantly older or younger? Is that the generational question you're asking?

Gary

Comment

That is extremely uncalled for. She would get fired where I work

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Is she significantly older or younger? Is that the generational question you're asking?

Gary
          Not 100% sure of her age, but she has kids roughly my age.

Based on what I'm hearing, it does appear to be generational. I think back before communication advancements and phones were the only way to communicate, missing a call cost money, so perhaps in engrained to answer every phone call. I had not thought of this prior to this thread.

I just don't believe this is necessary given that our company culture is to use the instant messenger or email. Very rarely will it be a phone call. In my case, I have no one that would call me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            Now I know when I call Suddenlink and other call centers for customer service, etc. and have to ask for their supervisor because they can't seem to help me, or I can't understand their language, why they always tell me there is no supervisor available!

I still can't figure out what the problem is. Why is it such a big deal that she happens to answer your phone (while trying to do a good job for her company by answering company phones when it rings!) when your health insurance company calls. Why is that so terrible? It's not likely they would discuss the nature of their call with her. I am a stickler that if a (business) phone rings, it should be answered! I would give her a raise for being diligent for her company, and I would demote you for getting upset when she is being conscientious!

Again, what is wrong with her answering the phone just because your wife calls, especially if you are in the vicinity? She may have had an emergency; then wouldn't you be glad she answered your phone?
            Hi Burnadell - thank you for taking time to respond. I guarantee you that if you called us, you'd like us a lot more than Suddenlink

To answer your questions, I am not the manager, but I am one of five supervisors, as is she. Communcation is done via email and instant messaging on our computers. There is no reason for anyone to ever call us when it's business related. Our company culture allows for personal phone calls as well.

Perhaps there is an emergency one day. What would I be able to do 25 minutes away? If something urgent were to happen, a text message will suffice, and my wife knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Seems odd you are in HR yet cannot find an appropriate application of th PRRs to address the situation. That and you don't seem to have the personal interactive skills to deal with an in the workplace conflict. One of the main responsibilities of HR is conflict management between employees. Either you are playing the green screen or you need to get a lot better at your job.

Gary
              I don't see it that way at all.Sounds to me like he's trying to figure out how to tell an "equal",in his office to knock it the **** off;without being a ********..I get it.My boss would would flip his lid if somebody answered his phone every time he was away from his desk.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                Not 100% sure of her age, but she has kids roughly my age.

Based on what I'm hearing, it does appear to be generational. I think back before communication advancements and phones were the only way to communicate, missing a call cost money, so perhaps in engrained to answer every phone call. I had not thought of this prior to this thread.

I just don't believe this is necessary given that our company culture is to use the instant messenger or email. Very rarely will it be a phone call. In my case, I have no one that would call me.
                A lot of us older generation are very comfortable with the way we've always done things.
                I had a customer service supervisor who liked to go through and reprint my uncompleted work orders. When I took over the field operations supervisor position there was a backlog of over 400 work orders. All her reprinting those did was confuse the heck out of my staff and her staff trying to close orders. She thought she was helping.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                  I don't see it that way at all.Sounds to me like he's trying to figure out how to tell an "equal",in his office to knock it the **** off;without being a ********..I get it.My boss would would flip his lid if somebody answered his phone every time he was away from his desk.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                  I agree. I was wrong. Not the first time. Probably not the last.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                    I’d gladly have someone answer my phone every time it rings. Pre-conversation - If she’s not pretending to be you or a co-worker I wouldn’t be upset. I’d be little perturbed if she answered after I asked her not to.

If the other people haven’t asked her not to answer, they have no right to complain. She’s just trying to help out.

Nah, not here

Work phone rings, I’ll answer
                    Prefer to execute my responsibilities myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On another note, you mentioned a concern of private Information being shared. If your insurance company or doctor’s office calls and gives information to anyone besides you, or those you have authorized, then they broke HIPAA rules. They’re not gonna tell the first person that answers the phone that your herpes has spread. That’s not how it works.

Comment

Can't relate to the issue.....at the facility I help manage, the phone better be answered by the third ring....1 office admin (who usually answers all calls prior to 1630), 6 supervisors and 2 managers...no reason why it shouldn't be answered right away.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          On another note, you mentioned a concern of private Information being shared. If your insurance company or doctor’s office calls and gives information to anyone besides you, or those you have authorized, then they broke HIPAA rules. They’re not gonna tell the first person that answers the phone that your herpes has spread. That’s not how it works.

I believe a 30 second conversation and handling it myself was better than hoping the person on the phone does their job correctly. I would rather depend on myself than others.

But let's say it is a call from someone who I am working with about a project I am working on... Company culture is your work is your work. We are not obligated to share our projects with colleagues. There is no reason to answer other people's phones in the first place. Dept Manager was on board with my position.

Comment

Ya'll are making WAY too much of this.
                            Grow a pair and tell her to stop.

Comment

Older female, may have more time in position, unknown how relationship with manager falls. Actually it could be a sensitive situation.
                              Personally I never did my personal business with a company phone. But I'm more private and paranoid that way.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X