Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
PredatorControl
Four Point

Default 2020 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke

Anybody purchased a new 2020 6.7 Ford Diesel. Interested to see what the MPG difference is between 2017 - 2019 vs 2020. Also how do you like the 10 speed transmission. I'm looking at trading my 2017 in but can't decide weather to go 2019 because of the discounts right now or go with the 2020. Only reason considering trading in is to go from F250 to a F350 dually (pulling trailers several times a month). If you have any experiences with the 2020 I would like to hear it.
PredatorControl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Baystealth89
Four Point

The 19 rebates are crazy right now. I walked out at 59k for a lariat f250 loaded with everything I want. Also I figured I would give it a few years with then new transmission. The first years always seem to have kinks that need to be worked out.
Baystealth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Just some practical advice, never buy the first model year of anything. That said, I heard the transmission is phenomenal. But I would wait a year.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
PredatorControl
Four Point

I hear you waiting for the first year. If I decide to go with 2020 I would wait until the end of the year.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I went and test drove an identical 2020 350 SRW to my 17' 350 SRW, and the truck drove very nice. The transmission was very smooth, and according to the fuel usage meter I was definitely getting 2-3 mpg better than my truck under the same driving habits. I really liked the lack of lag in the 20' but I couldn't get passed the power of it. My 17' is deleted with a 50 hp tow tube, and the power feels endless pulling you completely through the gear. The 20' didn't have lag, but the power just didn't feel any better than a stock 17'. Not that that's a bad thing, but just what made me realize I wouldn't be happy driving that every day since I'd leave the emissions on this go round.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Kinda feel at the 2500-250/350 range fuel economy is out the window. With emissions and more and more power repairs and emissions issues will just make it all expensive. If you like it buy one.
IMO fuel economy in a truck that big isn’t at the top of my list.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Kinda feel at the 2500-250/350 range fuel economy is out the window. With emissions and more and more power repairs and emissions issues will just make it all expensive. If you like it buy one.
IMO fuel economy in a truck that big isn’t at the top of my list.
I felt the same way buying my 350, but I have to admit the reported mileage I'm seeing on these trucks is very appealing. A lot of actual 18-20 mpg highway with 12-14 towing, and with actual verification not the kilometer. I'd be plain ecstatic to get 14 towing with my truck even with just a little 14-16' tandem axle and UTV
Old 01-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Just some practical advice, never buy the first model year of anything. That said, I heard the transmission is phenomenal. But I would wait a year.
I've done this with 2 trucks back to back and haven't had any issues. 2009 F150 then 2017 F250.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I have not seen any deals, cash back or rebates to make me want to buy one and that is being down to 1 vehicle since the wife had to turn her company SUV back in after retiring.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I wouldnt worry about it being a "new" year model as much. They revamped some stuff but it wasnt a complete redesign on the motor. If you are looking at a dually look at the 450's also. It has a wider front end so it actually has a better turning radius than the 350's due to the steering angle being greater. I a not surprised to hear that the power in a 2020 feels similar to a 19 down. Most of that power doesnt become available till the final gears. Ford doesnt want all that power from a dead stop to limit warranty items.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #11
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have not seen any deals, cash back or rebates to make me want to buy one and that is being down to 1 vehicle since the wife had to turn her company SUV back in after retiring.
The 2019s are as cheap as you'll ever find a new Super Duty right now. Gene Messer in town still has a pretty decent inventory of them. Not sure how willing they are to deal though.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
Tbar
Ten Point

Well I bought 2020 F250 CC 6.7 10 speed. Unloaded I don't notice anything different with the transmission shifting. Unloaded it skips over gears something like 1, 3,5,7,10.

I would guess this tranny makes using 3:55 gears doable when loaded/towing.

I only have one fill up and only 357 around town miles on the truck so 14.67 mpg is meaningless.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #13
ateague11
Ten Point

I took a small road trip this weekend and got 18.9MPG in my stock 2019 6.7
ateague11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
The 2019s are as cheap as you'll ever find a new Super Duty right now. Gene Messer in town still has a pretty decent inventory of them. Not sure how willing they are to deal though.
Been doing some internet deals and no one is coming off more than $5000! Have not come back with a lowball offer to see what they do. I am going to wait until March, that will probably put me into a 2020 especially with the truck I want, a long bed which is not easy to find and I do not want a white truck unless they give it away!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #15
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Been doing some internet deals and no one is coming off more than $5000! Have not come back with a lowball offer to see what they do. I am going to wait until March, that will probably put me into a 2020 especially with the truck I want, a long bed which is not easy to find and I do not want a white truck unless they give it away!
Not sure what color or package you're wanting, but I remember you were interested in the 6.2 gasser. I've got a good buddy that's thinking about trading his for a 2020. He has a 2019 Ingot Silver Lariat Sport F-250 long bed with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears. Has 12-13k on the truck and loves it, but he's drooling over the 7.3 in a identical F-350.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not sure what color or package you're wanting, but I remember you were interested in the 6.2 gasser. I've got a good buddy that's thinking about trading his for a 2020. He has a 2019 Ingot Silver Lariat Sport F-250 long bed with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears. Has 12-13k on the truck and loves it, but he's drooling over the 7.3 in a identical F-350.
True, I am torn between the 6.2 gasser, maybe the 7.3 gasser or a 6.7 Diesel. Pretty sure I do not need the 4.30 gears as I have had those before in a diesel, but I do not plan on needing anything that low of gearing. Is his truck a 4x4?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Yes sir it is. FX4 offroad package crew cab. I've got another buddy that has an identical short bed 250 as his, but the 3.73 gears. The 4.30 truck gets as good of mileage surprisingly day to day, and slightly better when towing. The 4.30 truck is stuck to the speed limit on the highway though. He's a state trooper, and behaves himself. Id expect its mileage to drop considerably the faster you go.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir it is. FX4 offroad package crew cab. I've got another buddy that has an identical short bed 250 as his, but the 3.73 gears. The 4.30 truck gets as good of mileage surprisingly day to day, and slightly better when towing. The 4.30 truck is stuck to the speed limit on the highway though. He's a state trooper, and behaves himself. Id expect its mileage to drop considerably the faster you go.
Let me know when he is ready to sell and what king of price please.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:15 PM   #19
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Will do. Hes been going back and forth on it the past two weeks, and sold his jeep in anticipation of buying another.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Will do. Hes been going back and forth on it the past two weeks, and sold his jeep in anticipation of buying another.
Thanks. It makes my stomach hurt looking at the prices on the new trucks!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #21
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Never thought I’d see the day were $59k for a pickup was considered a crazy good deal....
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #22
topduarte
Pope & Young

Never buyba 1st or 2nd year new model/drivetrain
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #23
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
I wouldnt worry about it being a "new" year model as much. They revamped some stuff but it wasnt a complete redesign on the motor. If you are looking at a dually look at the 450's also. It has a wider front end so it actually has a better turning radius than the 350's due to the steering angle being greater. I a not surprised to hear that the power in a 2020 feels similar to a 19 down. Most of that power doesnt become available till the final gears. Ford doesnt want all that power from a dead stop to limit warranty items.
The transmission is a complete revamp, and based off the half ton 10 speed. I would be very concerned about that. Then again, the new super duty is basically a tall half ton with some bigger springs and bigger motor.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #24
PredatorControl
Four Point

I'm hesitant to jump off in the 2020 because the new transmission and engine changes. I've been more then please with my 2017 except handling the trailer weights that I deal with on occasion. My daughter just got into showing so I bought an aluminum gooseneck show trailer, it squats the heck out of the f250. More so than the 20' bar top gooseneck that I had. I also custom cut and bail hay through the summer season and we haul hay on occasion, sometimes 21 bales per load and the f250 doesn't like it. Power wise not an issue. I'm also tired of climbing into bed to hook up gooseneck so will probably pull the bed and install flat bed. I like the idea of buying 2019 because very little issues but don't want buy one and then regret later not waiting on a 2020.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #25
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
The transmission is a complete revamp, and based off the half ton 10 speed. I would be very concerned about that. Then again, the new super duty is basically a tall half ton with some bigger springs and bigger motor.
Just an FYI, Yes, the new Super Duty Transmission is based on the same "Design" of the F150, but COMPLETELY different size internals. The Super Duty 10 speed is has much beefier components. You can find quite a few videos detailing the differences. About the only thing both trains share is the word "10-speed".
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #26
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorControl View Post
I'm hesitant to jump off in the 2020 because the new transmission and engine changes. I've been more then please with my 2017 except handling the trailer weights that I deal with on occasion. My daughter just got into showing so I bought an aluminum gooseneck show trailer, it squats the heck out of the f250. More so than the 20' bar top gooseneck that I had. I also custom cut and bail hay through the summer season and we haul hay on occasion, sometimes 21 bales per load and the f250 doesn't like it. Power wise not an issue. I'm also tired of climbing into bed to hook up gooseneck so will probably pull the bed and install flat bed. I like the idea of buying 2019 because very little issues but don't want buy one and then regret later not waiting on a 2020.

Considered putting a flatbed on your ‘17 and putting bags in the rear? Just a thought that might buy you a year or two to let the new drivetrain prove itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #27
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I've done this with 2 trucks back to back and haven't had any issues. 2009 F150 then 2017 F250.
Agree. The best truck I ever owned was when Ford first put the Super Duty platform on the road. To top it off, I went with a V10. I put almost 300K on that truck with zero issues save for one windshield wiper motor.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #28
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Just an FYI, Yes, the new Super Duty Transmission is based on the same "Design" of the F150, but COMPLETELY different size internals. The Super Duty 10 speed is has much beefier components. You can find quite a few videos detailing the differences. About the only thing both trains share is the word "10-speed".
For sure, the mechanical parts are upgrades. The electrical/circuit boards/solenoids are not.

Here is my best shot at an analogy. The Cowboys put some awesome talent on their team year after year. However, year after year, they do terrible because the underlying problem with the Cowboys is not the players, but management. Well think of the good Cowboys players as the beefier internals, and management as the electrical/circuit boards/solenoids. No matter how beefy those internals are, the things telling the internals what to do are still meant for the stresses of a half ton. And that would be my concern on this first run of the 3/4 ton 10 speed. If I am about to spend 60k on a truck, I am going to give the MFG a year to sort everything out.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #29
abilliott
Six Point

my 2020 6.7 is getting 18-20mpg 3.55 rear and 35" tires. So far, I am very happy but time will tell all.
abilliott is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

The 10r140 is rated for 1,032 ft ibs of torque. The 2020 6.7's make 1,050 ft ibs of torque. I wouldn't touch one for a long time. Go get a 19
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #31
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking….Pow Pow!

I'd be more concerned with the death wobble......
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #32
abilliott
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
The 10r140 is rated for 1,032 ft ibs of torque. The 2020 6.7's make 1,050 ft ibs of torque. I wouldn't touch one for a long time. Go get a 19
Where do you find this at?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #33
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
The 6R140 was rated for 1400 lbs. I highky doubt they went to a less rated transmission.

Just checked. As in suspected the 10R140 is still rated for 1400 lbs.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 01-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
abilliott
Six Point

Quote:
The 6R140 was rated for 1400 lbs. I highky doubt they went to a less rated transmission.

Just checked. As in suspected the 10R140 is still rated for 1400 lbs.
Yes sir, that's the impression I had as well as read up on and found too, I just wanted to see if he could produce where he read otherwise.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #35
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

https://fordauthority.com/2017/08/fo...es-super-duty/

Pay attention to the units. NM (Newton Meters) 1400. Equals 1,032 ft ibs of torque.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #36
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Ive read several. Some say 1400 ft lbs, and thats the only one i see saying 1400 NM. Either way my truck is putting well over 1000 lbs to the wheels without issue in the 6R140. I know a few guys putting a lot more down go the wheels than me without issue as well.

Im not vouching for the 10spd. It may be great, or may be junk. Just saying that rating isnt exactly the best basis.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #37
abilliott
Six Point

Quote:
https://fordauthority.com/2017/08/fo...es-super-duty/

Pay attention to the units. NM (Newton Meters) 1400. Equals 1,032 ft ibs of torque.
Please also pay attention to the articles date. It was from 2 years ago. It links to a TFL article from August 12, 2017 where Andre speculates that the new 6.7 will put out no more than 1000 ft pounds due to what he figures the new transmission is rated at.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #38
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilliott View Post
Please also pay attention to the articles date. It was from 2 years ago. It links to a TFL article from August 12, 2017 where Andre speculates that the new 6.7 will put out no more than 1000 ft pounds due to what he figures the new transmission is rated at.
He doesn't figure what the transmission is rated at, he knows what it's rated at. Hes figuring what the torque output of the new trucks will be. Obviously at the time, ford hadn't released their torque numbers of the 2020 yet. But, they had released the transmission torque rating. That was the entire point of the article.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 01-21-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #39
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Quote:
Ive read several. Some say 1400 ft lbs, and thats the only one i see saying 1400 NM. Either way my truck is putting well over 1000 lbs to the wheels without issue in the 6R140. I know a few guys putting a lot more down go the wheels than me without issue as well.

I'm not vouching for the 10spd. It may be great, or may be junk. Just saying that rating isn't exactly the best basis.
What is a better basis? The OP was thoughts on the new 2020 trucks. Nobody has been able to drive one long enough to know if they will last. The torque rating was the first red flag for people. I'm not basing all this off one article, there's threads regarding this same concern on the powerstroke forms. I really don't care either way. I just suggested I would get the proven 2019 platform truck.