Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #51
Codie
Pope & Young
 
Codie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham Texas
Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties
Default

Our family went to Taos for New Years and it was our first Skiing experience. (myself, 12yr old son, 8 yr old son all skiied for the first time)

Everyone told us to do ski school - We Didn't
Everyone told us to stick to the bunny slopes without ski school - We didn't
Everyone told us we would be super sore - We weren't

We all 3 picked it right up and had a blast - stuck to the bunny slopes the first day while getting the hang of it and took to the mountain on day 2. Stayed on the Greens, other than a short stint on the Blue "adventure park" to watch people do jumps/rails/etc/.etc.

The temp was between -2 and 3 degrees both mornings when we started and the first lesson we learned was DO NOT OVERCLOTHE:
First day was a high of around 10 degrees with blowing snow all day long and we burned up in the following:

Heavyweight base layers
Sweat pants
Ski Pants
Fleece hoodie
North Face puffy jacket
Un insulated Ski jacket

Day 2 I ditched the sweat pants under my ski pants and the un-insulated ski jacket outer layer and was comfortable all day long.

Listed below are the 3 lessons I learned from our first trip:

Lesson 1: don't OVER clothe
Lesson 2: Wear a helmet (not only for safety, but to keep your head warm as well)
Lesson 3: Skiing is NOT for tightwads like myself (it gets expensive in a HURRY). If the trip would not have been a Christmas present from my wifes parents, I would have spent around $3,500 (and that is with only 2 days of equipment rentals/lift tickets)

Last edited by Codie; 01-17-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #52
critter69
Ten Point
 
critter69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can
Default

Skiing is easy as far as muscle fatigue. I have been with many that had never been and no one complained about being sore the next day. After two or three days, yes. If you don’t want to be sore ski, snowboard you WILL BE SORE the first day. But boarding is far better once you get the hang of it, the soreness is well worth it. But it’s more about the falling that causes your soreness, and not muscle fatigue. And as far as “ practice “before you go, I can’t think of a good “exercise “ to get the feel of skiing, if you were to snow board, the best I can tell you is a one wheel. If your in half way decent shape and your only going for a day, I would think squats and walking, running some steps may help if your concerned.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #53
Tryton
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties
Default

Do Cardio and then some more cardio. The air is thin up their.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #54
tdwinklr
Ten Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Take lessons the first day.
yep!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #55
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
Our family went to Taos for New Years and it was our first Skiing experience. (myself, 12yr old son, 8 yr old son all skiied for the first time)

Everyone told us to do ski school - We Didn't
Everyone told us to stick to the bunny slopes without ski school - We didn't
Everyone told us we would be super sore - We weren't

We all 3 picked it right up and had a blast - stuck to the bunny slopes the first day while getting the hang of it and took to the mountain on day 2. Stayed on the Greens, other than a short stint on the Blue "adventure park" to watch people do jumps/rails/etc/.etc.

The temp was between -2 and 3 degrees both mornings when we started and the first lesson we learned was DO NOT OVERCLOTHE:
First day was a high of around 10 degrees with blowing snow all day long and we burned up in the following:

Heavyweight base layers
Sweat pants
Ski Pants
Fleece hoodie
North Face puffy jacket
Un insulated Ski jacket

Day 2 I ditched the sweat pants under my ski pants and the un-insulated ski jacket outer layer and was comfortable all day long.

Listed below are the 3 lessons I learned from our first trip:

Lesson 1: don't OVER clothe
Lesson 2: Wear a helmet (not only for safety, but to keep your head warm as well)
Lesson 3: Skiing is NOT for tightwads like myself (it gets expensive in a HURRY). If the trip would not have been a Christmas present from my wifes parents, I would have spent around $3,500 (and that is with only 2 days of equipment rentals/lift tickets)
Correct.

I wear my under armor pants with basketball shorts and put my board pants on at the mountain. Upper body depends on temps and wind. Also it gets alot windier and colder on the lift way up top or on the backside. Like say the top of Kachina Peak or the hike to terrain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #56
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
Post up some of these "Extreme Swowboarding" videos.I saw one you posted a few years ago here..I wanna see some extreme cred!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, rode Kachina Peak the last two years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #57
b.latiolais
Pope & Young
 
b.latiolais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bridge City, TX
Hunt In: Edwards County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_E View Post
I guess I was the exception. I went to ski school and got nothing out of it. Learned the hard way until I figured a few things out. I wish someone would have told me to just do jump cuts like in football and I would have learned a lot quicker. Being 6'4"; 240 lbs the slope has to be pretty flat for "the pizza" to stop me. Once I learned to turn I was up on the blues pretty quick. Not going to say I'm smooth, but I'm effective.
This is funny!
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #58
jlp04c
Eight Point
 
jlp04c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

Run the bunnies a few times until you get comfortable(ish) stopping, then find a GREEN to run from top to bottom, most mountains have several of them. Repeat as necessary until your comfortable. Going with an experienced skier will be a good lesson, unless he's a punk and wants to see you get killed .. To me... Its all about boot comfort. If your boots arent comfortable, go back and get another pair until you find one that is comfortable. That will make or break your experience IMO
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #59
Chad_E
Ten Point
 
Chad_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Grange
Hunt In: Colorado Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.latiolais View Post
This is funny!
p=mv

Can get ugly quick...
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #60
Scubasteveo
Six Point
 
Scubasteveo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_E View Post
I guess I was the exception. I went to ski school and got nothing out of it. Learned the hard way until I figured a few things out. I wish someone would have told me to just do jump cuts like in football and I would have learned a lot quicker. Being 6'4"; 240 lbs the slope has to be pretty flat for "the pizza" to stop me. Once I learned to turn I was up on the blues pretty quick. Not going to say I'm smooth, but I'm effective.
This was my experience too, I couldn't stop for nothing!!
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #61
ultrastealth
Ten Point
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
have a buddy coming stateside and were going to meet in colorado 1st of march. hes a skier, ive never been.

what do yall do to get in shape for ski season. i was told squats and core and not worry as ill be on easy stuff. have 10 weeks to get in shape for it. i dont want to be so sore after the first day that i cant enjoy the rest.

any tips? im not the most graceful guy around but hes told me it really isnt that hard.
Make sure your wallet is in tip top shape.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #62
StrayDog
Ten Point
 
StrayDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Funky Town
Hunt In: Coleman County
Default

Take an alieve in the morning before you ski. Hot tub and a stiff drink at the end of the day. I always try to get a massage after day 3.

I can still ski like I did 20 years ago - just requires a little self medication and some stretching/massage.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #63
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default

I think your request was getting into skiing condition vs what lessons and slopes to stay on:

I live in Texas and hit the slopes a couple times every season. For the last 14 yrs I add this to my regular workouts for 7-8 weeks to prepare my legs and back for skiing and hiking the Colorado mountains. (It's what works for me)

Easy cardio warm-up
5 min treadmill at 15% incline at 3mph (stair climber works too)
100lbs squats for 3-4 min (reps aren't counted, it's the time)
Alternate again w/o rest
Usually go for 25 to 40 min total and then move on to rest of workout. It's takes some time and not very hard, but gets the lower back involved and fatigues the quadriceps.

I ski/board with crossfit friends and a Colorado local that is on the slopes all season. This works for me. The crossfit guys stop on the slopes more than any of us.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #64
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default

Reading these Texas country approaches helps me understand why residents of the Rockies laugh at "Texans". Many off the wall tips provided.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #65
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default

Newbies, beginners, & gawkers that say they don't get sore are simply well trained at falling...

not good at skiing or boarding.


For those that don't know better, beginners that don't take lessons also don't follow any of the ethics and it irritates the s#*t out of the rest on the slopes and lifts.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #66
texasair
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Buy a pair of thin “smartwool” brand ski socks.

This will go a long way towards making your ski boots warm and comfortable.

Happy feet ski better and crash less.
texasair is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #67
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Reading these Texas country approaches helps me understand why residents of the Rockies laugh at "Texans". Many off the wall tips provided.
Never say snow ski.

Don't show up in jeans or camo.

Lol.

Some Texans. Not all of us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-17-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #68
thegrouse
Pope & Young
 
thegrouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County
Default

Nobody cares if you use snow ski.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #69
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young
 
tigerscowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Nobody cares if you use snow ski.
Who does?
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #70
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

It's very nerdy and backwoods.

You do you though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #71
thegrouse
Pope & Young
 
thegrouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Who does?
BoB thinks it is unacceptable. I have more important things to get upset over
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #72
locolobo
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Somewhere in TX
Default

What's all tis talk about snow? and who wants to play in it? Grew up in N.E. Texas and froze my *** of every winter and we only saw a little snow. Live in S.E Tx for the last 46 yrs. and only seen that white stuff twice. And it melted the first day. Y'all can have it!
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #73
Hart8
Pope & Young
 
Hart8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waxahachie,Tx
Hunt In: concho co. tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Reading these Texas country approaches helps me understand why residents of the Rockies laugh at "Texans". Many off the wall tips provided.
I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #74
N.DaWoods
Ten Point
 
N.DaWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin Area
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Skip snow plowing into slow down. Immediately learn to parallel stop. Once you can parallel stop, you can actually enjoy skiing. Good luck, its really pretty easy.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #75
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
That's just dumb. Just because you are from Texas or the south doesn't mean you can't be stylish and not be a nerd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #76
Big pig
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cypress, tx
Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default

Most expensive few hours I ever spent.
Especially with family.

Start early and a stay late. Plenty time to eat and drink after the lifts close

Have fun.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #77
wytex
Eight Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
You couldn't be more wrong about that.
Not many Texans own those expensive homes.
They will gladly take your money and laugh at you when you leave, just nice enough not to do it at your face.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #78
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
thanks. guess just go ahead n plan on being sore. glad to hear i wont be the only one.
I have no snow clothes, i have some water resistant cold weather hunting gear. will this work or should i start shopping resale shops? dont want to drop a bunch of cash on something i may never use again if i dont care for it
Wall squats will get you prepped just fine...youll feel it mainly in your outer quads.

Plenty of Texans use Texan Goretex...blue jeans sprayed with scotchgard. Your water resistant hunting gear will work just fine. Dont be like my kids and lay around in the snow. We skii MtCB and unless the day is warm...the relative humidity is so low...the snow stays powdery and dry and dusts off when I eat it. You may already know this but....NO COTTON in any fashion or blend in any of your clothing.

Make sure to have a neck gaiter that will cover your face and neck.

I layer with a fleece thermal layer, then running suit, then shell pants and jacket and pack a down vest for when it gets super cold. You want to get rid of the extra moisture generated but keep that heat retained.

Have a good time MrReels
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #79
critter69
Ten Point
 
critter69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart8 View Post
I'd bet real Texans don't give a **** what they think.The last few times I was in Steamboat,everyone there was from Texas.That tells me if not for us,they wouldn't have a pot to **** in,or a window to throw it out of.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
You must hang out in a small crowd. I am absolutely positive they could get by quite nicely without you.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #80
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

I can guarantee y'all a huge portion of their business in Colorado and New Mexico comes from Texas. I was once on a sleigh ride in Breckinridge and the driver was talking about all the giant houses we went by being Texas oil money.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #81
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Wall squats will get you prepped just fine...youll feel it mainly in your outer quads.



Plenty of Texans use Texan Goretex...blue jeans sprayed with scotchgard. Your water resistant hunting gear will work just fine. Dont be like my kids and lay around in the snow. We skii MtCB and unless the day is warm...the relative humidity is so low...the snow stays powdery and dry and dusts off when I eat it. You may already know this but....NO COTTON in any fashion or blend in any of your clothing.



Make sure to have a neck gaiter that will cover your face and neck.



I layer with a fleece thermal layer, then running suit, then shell pants and jacket and pack a down vest for when it gets super cold. You want to get rid of the extra moisture generated but keep that heat retained.



Have a good time MrReels
I rarely, if ever see a person in jeans.

You said wear jeans and then said no cotton of any kind. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #82
jnors06
Ten Point
 
jnors06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: wimberley, TX
Hunt In: back behind the house.
Default

I typically go once a year and have no issues with my cheap amazon ski pants and jacket, roughly $100 bucks for both. I also am in the lessons are a waste of time, i say hit the bunnies, find a green you can do comfortably and spend some time on that one. Day one will be learning and by day two you should be able to really have some fun.
jnors06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #83
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
I rarely, if ever see a person in jeans.

You said wear jeans and then said no cotton of any kind. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Wasnt really saying to do it...just...that its done. I havent seen it in years until over Christmas break. I had a good chuckle.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #84
Briar Friar
Ten Point
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds
Default

I also had a conversation with a fella who was skiing in snowmobiling pants. We had a good chuckle at repurposing gear.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com