Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Homer75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county
Default AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

I believe this has come up several times but, I'm not 100% sure of the answer. With the wildlife exemption you still get the exact same tax break as AG exempt, buying equipment?
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Yes, wildlife is a type of ag exception with the same tax implications.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Bisch
Pope & Young

Not the same sales tax implications!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
friscopaint
Ten Point

Ag exemption saves me property taxes and sales tax on certain items. Can't say on wildlife. Odd that all feed at feed store is tax free regardless but not at buccees or other places....
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Don't think so
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

With wildlife exemption you get property tax relief. You don't get an exempt tax number that you can give to stores so they don't charge you tax. Ag Exempt = some exemption on purchases. Wildlife Management = no exemption on purchases.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

If you plant plots or feed wildlife, no tax exemptions?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

In regards to buying equipment, no. You are not issued a tax id number with wildlife that you can use towards tax free purchases

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

So, from what I know, you get the same property tax rate as you had under AG when you convert to wildlife. So, if you have livestock, bees, trees, etc., it would be at that rate.

As far as sales tax exemption.... let your conscience be your guide. . Obtaining a tax exemption status is pretty dang easy, even a caveman could do it.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

While we are on the subject. Our land owner has recently asked us to send him our feed receipts for his wildlife exemption. Is this normal?

Brian
brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I just let my Ag/Timber expire. I wasn't using it like it was designed for anymore. My friends think I should have kept it.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
With wildlife exemption you get property tax relief. You don't get an exempt tax number that you can give to stores so they don't charge you tax. Ag Exempt = some exemption on purchases. Wildlife Management = no exemption on purchases.

Exactly right. No reason that you canít have both. We converted from AG to wildlife and itís same rates etc however their are allot of boxes to check and so far they have sent an agent EVERY year to verify we are managing enough to keep the exemption.

Ag/timber is the Easy one that saves on equipment etc
Saltaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

Taking about two separate issues. Ag/wildlife is filed in the county at the tax office and deals with property tax.
Ag/timber Is filed on line with the state and deals with sales tax.
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
I just let my Ag/Timber expire. I wasn't using it like it was designed for anymore. My friends think I should have kept it.
Oh my.....get ready, if you take land out of ag the appraisal district will.hit you for 5 years back taxes at normal appraised rate, 2 acres cost me $5000
Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #15
friscopaint
Ten Point

Not the same a farm tax number I know, just a warning. Didn't realize wildlife didn't get same tax breaks on stuff
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #16
cowman
Four Point

I have Ag exempt on my place and my FIL has Wildlife on his. We both have the ag/timber card and both get sales tax relief.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #17
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Oh my.....get ready, if you take land out of ag the appraisal district will.hit you for 5 years back taxes at normal appraised rate, 2 acres cost me $5000
Plus 7% interest on each of those years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #18
Homer75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county

Thank y’all, I’m going to stay ag/timber. I’m knocking around the idea of stocker calves anyway. I believe in Fayette co I’m only required to have 2 calves, 1 unit, per 8 ac.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #19
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post

Yea donít do that unless you are selling it or truly changing use.
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #20
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Things may have changed but my land sold and gone in Oatmeal, Burnet County was Basic ag and I changed to Wildlife Agricultural Appraisal. The term Exemption does not apply best of my knowledge to either and is misused but simple to comprehend so ok to say exempt in my book. Ag is based on possible profits and Wildlife is a separate entity and results in similar property evaluations with different rules. And both qualified for tax free purchases directly applied to the property such as feed, troughs, and most if not all equipment for the purpose. Basically the same with different quirks. I moved the cattle as I did not want to do beef and went to wildlife. It is tough because it is an area known to be abused to not pay taxes. Properly done, awesome. TX P&W helped me set up. Super folks.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #21
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:

I didn't even pick up on that little jewel......take out of ag pay 5 yrs back taxes.....want to go into ag wait 5 yrs.....10yr cash swing for taxing entities
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #22
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboudreaux View Post
Yea donít do that unless you are selling it or truly changing use.
Sell it as ag let new owners change it......farm ground everywhere in my area for sale to be developed...
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #23
toomuchsun
Six Point

Quote:

I did not know or forgot about interest? Wow. I new about the 5 years and no longer looking local near Austin for any dirt due to the insane value increases. But interest on top. Ouch. Guess my loss previous land sales and my subdivision home is where I am at. Thank you Lord for what I have.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:58 PM   #24
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlg31 View Post
While we are on the subject. Our land owner has recently asked us to send him our feed receipts for his wildlife exemption. Is this normal?

Brian
We have a wildlife exemption on our place. We have to send in receipts at end of year for protein fed, because it is one of our criteria for our exemption.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #25
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
You should not have let it expire. You were growing trees...or rather your trees were going? Yes, you were a tree farmer...itís not hard. Every year, I cut firewood and donate it to needy families.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #26
crumrw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunt county

Quote:

Brian
The land owner has to put together a wildlife report each year. We show all our receipts as proof that we did the management practices we said we did.
crumrw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #27
toomuchsun
Six Point

Burnet County never asked for any reports but I was required to have the records "of proof" etc. on hand and file a specific plan put together with a Texas P&W Biologist who was awesome helping me out with this. I did document everything but never was asked for anything. The appraiser was very helpful nice fellow and told me he traveled the area to observe the properties activities which I do not know how that identified much? I was looking at Williamson County properties and they were not friendly about this matter at all so steered clear. Burnet may now ask for reports? My info is all dated over 10 years ago so changes may have occurred.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:37 AM   #28
friscopaint
Ten Point

Grayson county Ag guy was very helpful to us. He also believes the 5 yrs back taxes and 5 yrars to get into Ag are a scam
Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #29
cwashby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson County & Kansas

Quote:

Actually this just changed to 3 yrs and 5% interest. Which is better but still an idiotic tax, IMO.
cwashby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
cwashby
Ten Point

For the ad valorem (property tax) side of this discussion, both are considered 1-D-1 exemptions and carry the same tax benefit to the Owner.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #31
cwashby
Ten Point

These changes should have started Sept. 1, 2019

The other side of this is that you letting it lapse does not necessarily trigger the roll back taxes. It is actually trigger with a "change of use" of the property.

Last edited by cwashby; 01-11-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #32
cwashby
Ten Point

Final thought, you can also let the land lay "fallow" for one year and still maintain your 1-D-1.
Most taxing authorities won't tell you this.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #33
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwashby View Post
Actually this just changed to 3 yrs and 5% interest. Which is better but still an idiotic tax, IMO.
I led the legislative division at the comptroller's office a few years. I thought I had heard they changed to 3 years recently. Doubled checked it before I posted, but they have not updated their web page. That wouldn't have happened back in my day

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/...mber/index.php

Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #34
cwashby
Ten Point

Here is some very helpful information of changes that were made regarding land used for agricultural purpose.

HB 1743 was passed and amends sections 23.55 and 23.76 of the Property Tax Code regarding the appraisal methods and procedures in Texas. Specific changes made to the Property Tax Code are in regards to rollback taxes for agricultural land. Land that is converted from agricultural use to non-agricultural use will still incur a rollback tax. However, starting September 1, 2019 the number of years for a rollback tax bill for changing to a non-agricultural use will be reduced from five years to three years and the interest rate imposed on a rollback tax bill is also reduced from 7% to 5%.

Source: Dr. Blake Bennett, Associate Professor and Extension Economist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Old 01-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #35
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:

Brian
Wildlife exemption requires an annual report of what practices he did during the year to improve property and wildlife - I just sent mine in for 2019 - pretty simple to do - keep pictures of bird houses, trapping coons, etc., feeding fish in ponds, Pretty simple - best part is that the county appraisal district does not physically check on your property like they do on Ag
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #36
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Ag exemption saves me property taxes and sales tax on certain items. Can't say on wildlife. Odd that all feed at feed store is tax free regardless but not at buccees or other places....
I got into this several years back and wrote the Texas AG. Got a letter back stating all wildlife feed is tax exempt and I used to carry a copy to show to the hard headed dealers and give them a copy. Either Buccees is keeping the taxes as additional profit or the state is getting a windfall tax benefit.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #37
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwashby View Post
Here is some very helpful information of changes that were made regarding land used for agricultural purpose.

HB 1743 was passed and amends sections 23.55 and 23.76 of the Property Tax Code regarding the appraisal methods and procedures in Texas. Specific changes made to the Property Tax Code are in regards to rollback taxes for agricultural land. Land that is converted from agricultural use to non-agricultural use will still incur a rollback tax. However, starting September 1, 2019 the number of years for a rollback tax bill for changing to a non-agricultural use will be reduced from five years to three years and the interest rate imposed on a rollback tax bill is also reduced from 7% to 5%.

Source: Dr. Blake Bennett, Associate Professor and Extension Economist, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Still ridiculous, it shouldn't retro 1 day.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #38
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Ag exemption is super duper easy. Throw a couple goats on your place. Done. Or let a neighbor graze for a couple days. Done. I was worried about this when I bought my place 3 years ago and it’s so so easy.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #39
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Nobody has ever physically inspected my place for ag. They send a form once a year and ask you to check boxes of what you do. Box checked for cattle. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
Wildlife exemption requires an annual report of what practices he did during the year to improve property and wildlife - I just sent mine in for 2019 - pretty simple to do - keep pictures of bird houses, trapping coons, etc., feeding fish in ponds, Pretty simple - best part is that the county appraisal district does not physically check on your property like they do on Ag
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #40
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

What is the minimum amount of land you can own and still get a wildlife exemption?
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #41
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

If land is in Ag use already, it is super easy to just rollover into wildlife instead.

If trying to get land entered into tax exemption status either Ag or wildlife...not sure on acres needed
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #42
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
If land is in Ag use already, it is super easy to just rollover into wildlife instead.

If trying to get land entered into tax exemption status either Ag or wildlife...not sure on acres needed
Its county specific
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #43
friscopaint
Ten Point

Grayson county its minimum of 10 acres, different criterias.....x amount of momma cows, x amount of stocker calves, x amount of hay, x amount of trees, x amount of brerding mares (3), etc......oh and bee hives
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #44
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
Nobody has ever physically inspected my place for ag. They send a form once a year and ask you to check boxes of what you do. Box checked for cattle. Done.
You may not know that they are out looking at your place - they do not give you a heads up - depends on county you are in - many of them use google maps to see if you have livestock on your property during the year - where I am they drive out and check your property and see if there are cows or sheep on the property
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #45
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinesintx View Post
You should not have let it expire. You were growing trees...or rather your trees were going? Yes, you were a tree farmer...itís not hard. Every year, I cut firewood and donate it to needy families.
It wasn't on land that I owned. I leased a property and was raising chickens and quail mostly as well as cutting and selling wood. The ag was tax exemption on products related to raising poultry.
I moved and bought a place where you can not raise anything but horses.
I assume it should not affect me seeing how is was not property.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #46
toomuchsun
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post

Not an answer as unsure where the rules have gone but to take land in to an ag type appraisal from non ag whether wildlife or peaches, it used to take 5 years of records and proof in most central counties while paying full tax value. The counties did used to and probably still do write their own requirements. And what qualifies. It is difficult to come from scratch. Much easier to keep an existing ag if buying land and size varies a lot. Around 15 acres in the easier areas and larger in some. Once upon a time you could put a goat on an acre or 2 and get tax relief. Doubt that exists anywhere today? I have owned small to moderate sized land. This no cup of tea. It can be done! I now own a lot in a suburb. Man we never learn sometimes .
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #47
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County
Default AG Exempt vs Wildlife Exempt

We are under wildlife exemption. I document everything we do related to that via pictures, keeping equipment, feed, seed, fertilizer receipts, etc etc.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #48
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
What is the minimum amount of land you can own and still get a wildlife exemption?

20 acres minimum to qualify for wildlife exception.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #49
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
You may not know that they are out looking at your place - they do not give you a heads up - depends on county you are in - many of them use google maps to see if you have livestock on your property during the year - where I am they drive out and check your property and see if there are cows or sheep on the property
We have a Wildlife exemption and what we have been told is the county uses satellite and flies the county to check and see if you are up to date. County sent us a aerial picture of our place and asked where all our food plots are,to draw them in on the map.
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #50
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
We have a Wildlife exemption and what we have been told is the county uses satellite and flies the county to check and see if you are up to date. County sent us a aerial picture of our place and asked where all our food plots are,to draw them in on the map.
Our appraisal, Grayson, using satellite images also. This also worked to my advantage, they took 2 acres out of Ag. Went in and talked to Ag guy, he pulled it up and I showed him areas and he moved 1 acre at house that wasn't Ag to Ag plus a 1/2 acre of the 2 they took out. All with a couple clicks of the mouse and instant. He's a farmer/rancher too and that helps a lot !! As I mentioned earlier he thinks the now 3 yrs retro and having to farm/ranch it for 5 first is ridiculous.