Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #51
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico - Shackelford - Callahan

I have more than a few neighbors blinds/feeders set up within 100 yards of my fence lines.

They are not doing anything illegal, but I do think it’s bad bs.
Feeders on fence-lines cause beef and make bad neighbors.

In small tract areas I get it may be unavoidable, but you are asking for trouble if you are the guy setting up close to the neighbors fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 PM   #52
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

[QUOTE=systemnt;14540273]Trespassing
Vandalism
Hunter harassment[/QUOTE]

That's works both ways.. A feeder placed on a boundary fence can and has been viewed as "hunter harassment".. That is exactly why we see these threads over and over and over.. They are on social media and every hunting forum I visit..

Its not rocket science folks.. Do it if you want to, because its "your right", but don't act surprised when the neighbor doesn't like it and makes it known..

The hunters on our north side 10 years ago thought it was cute to put up 3 feeders 5 yards from the fence line on a 1500 yard stretch of fence but the owner of that property, who refused to line out his hunters after friendly requests, went ballistic when my landowner high fenced the out.. Guess what, It was my land owners right Problem forever solved..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #53
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
Move the feeder without saying a word. The Monday before next year's opener go disconnect every feeder battery on his property.

I'd bet $100 your note writer is over 55yo.
Good LORD SMH.. And what does age have to do with it?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #54
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

I’d take the high road and move the feeder. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t put a couple hundred pounds of corn down that fence line every weekend I’m there though......
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #55
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

A feeder ..placed on your property is hunter harassment of your neighbor?

Now youre just trying to argue about ****.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #56
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
A feeder ..placed on your your property is hunter harassment of your neighbor?

Now youre just trying to argue about ****.
It can be viewed as such and does happen..

Just take a hard look at the motive behind many of these responses on this thread.. Its clearly to harass..
Old 11-26-2019, 11:11 PM   #57
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Honestly, rather the up front honestly from the guy rather than posting it on social media. Would rather meet face to face to discuss like adults, but this sent the message. Is it right, no...but did he really do any harm?
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #58
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Involving the landowner was probably not the best route. Most don’t want to get caught up in drama, and would rather the “drama” just go away (no longer a place for you and your clan to hunt). Just my thoughts.
I may not speak for all landowners, but if someone is trespassing on my land I better be notified ASAP. That way I can call the neighbor and we get the matter handled immediately. If I found out about it months later then ya I would be ticked off. Now all the petty stuff that happens around camp I don’t want to be bothered with.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #59
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo View Post
Move the feeder without saying a word. The Monday before next year's opener go disconnect every feeder battery on his property.

I'd bet $100 your note writer is over 55yo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Good LORD SMH.. And what does age have to do with it?
Because it was written in cursive script?

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 01:16 AM   #60
RUM Mann
Four Point

I won’t set up close to a property line normally not because I feel it’s wrong but because I don’t want a shot deer to cross the fence. I want everything I shoot to stay on my property so I tend to back off the property line to give me a buffer for that.
RUM Mann is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 03:57 AM   #61
Louis
Ten Point

If lease agreement says no closer than 100 feet of property line and said feeder is 60 ft move itanother 40 ft, put up no trespassing signs and put up camera. If neighbor trespasses and messes with your equipment call game warden and have him arrested.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #62
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
I wouldn’t move the feeder. You lease every square inch of that land. My theory is this. Feeders inside fence 30yds plus and stands on fence hunting that feeder shooting into the property you lease. Now if feeder is on the fence and your stand is yards away shooting towards property line then I have a problem. As long as the projectile doesn’t cross property line then leave it how it is.

Whoever left that note needs an arse whoopin and a visit from the local GW!

Move it closer or leave it where it’s at and set up multiple cams in the area.
Why? You’ve already broke leases agreement with landowner by having it that close to fence
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #63
Slicefixer
Six Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
He shouldn’t be on your property, but the feeder shouldn’t be that close to the fence if there is a provision in the lease agreement for it to be further. Your land owner very well could’ve already talked to the neighbor about this issue, which is probably why he added the distance restriction to the lease. Now the land owner has to deal with a trespassing neighbor and a lease holder who’s not upholding the lease agreement, so yeah, I’m sure he’s not real happy right now.
This.....read what "Bullets" composed above....

Now, in my experience as both a member and the primary lessor I can tell you what I'd do. I'd move the feeder well off his fence. I'd personally go to the landowner and apologize for causing a problem and offer to go apologize to the neighbor landowner, which he'll probably not want you to do. Most likely he'll insist he'll handle it and you should let HIM "handle it."

Now, would I want to paint a big finger on the feeder and point it right at him....lol.....you bet. However, all that'll do (or any other silly immature action) is cause your landowner more problems with his neighbor. It'll also probably cost you your spot on the lease and more than likely the whole group the lease itself.

In my experience landowners tolerate lessee hunters for the money. With some it's like they want the money, but, don't want you around.....with some I'm sure it's exactly that....sure feels like that to the hunters anyway..... they're "tolerated." You should be the ramrod "go to" on a deal like that....hehehe.... no fun I'll tell you that.

So, in conclusion, you can pour fuel on a small lil' grass fire and turn it into a potential scorched earth for you, your fellow lessee's and, very possibly, the landowner him or herself. Or you can do the MATURE thing and do your best to diffuse the situation.

Given the choice between what I want to do and what I know is "right" I always TRY to do the right thing. It's quite often not easy as I know I'm correct or at least on equal footing. However, me swallowing my pride, using my intellect vs emotion, and experiencing a bit of short term pain for long term gain has almost always worked out for the best.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-27-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #64
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
I’ve shot deer across my neighbors fence. They’ve shot deer across mine. In my opinion, it’s a strange thing to get bent out of shape over.

I find it far more strange (and sad) that people don’t KNOW their neighbors!

Same here.
Our neighbor uses our access road to get to a stand of his, which is about 50 yards into our property

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:19 AM   #65
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Put yourself in his shoes..
How "bee hive pizzed" are ya'll going to be if he now puts one 20 feet from the fence, on his side? And don't say ya'll wont be either..
This is exactly how silly nonsense gets started but its great for the high fence builders..
Its much easier to just be respectful of each other..

Just because it legal doesn't mean its right..
Boy you said that perfect

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #66
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
He disabled the feeder!!!

Yeah, he's a swell guy!!!!
He probably did that because the corn was piling up.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #67
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Put yourself in his shoes..
How "bee hive pizzed" are ya'll going to be if he now puts one 20 feet from the fence, on his side? And don't say ya'll wont be either..
This is exactly how silly nonsense gets started but its great for the high fence builders..
Its much easier to just be respectful of each other..

Just because it legal doesn't mean its right..
This. The 100 yard rule keeps everyone happy. And ttaxidermy is right. This is what causes high fences. Not to keep deer in but to keep D~Baggery neighbors out.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #68
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

Try 👀 gn from the other side of the fence. It is no fun being shot at. I know. Do not tresspess to resolve, but finding a feeder on the fence line you walk by to get to your stand and having blind shooting at such feeder and you makes it no fun.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #69
Huntingfool
Eight Point

I grew up old school. Out of common respect I was taught not to put feeders or stands right on a neighbors fence line. There are lots of things that are "legal" but does not make it the respectful thing to do.

On the other hand nobody has the right to trespass and take property. So IMO both sides were at fault. (as your LO I would not be happy that one of my lease hunters ignored a rule I had in place)

Communicating with neighbors before issues like this arise is the answer.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #70
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

File on the trespasser and keep huntin.....
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #71
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
This. The 100 yard rule keeps everyone happy. And ttaxidermy is right. This is what causes high fences. Not to keep deer in but to keep D~Baggery neighbors out.
I really dont think more than 1 or 2% of HF are installed due to people hunting a fence line.
Those fences are tens of thousands or more dollars and more likely they are installed because someone with deep pockets would rather guarentee bigs bucks rather than hunt big bucks
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #72
Ramball36
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddle View Post
Looks like the paper is from an animal treatment record book. Handy books but an expensive piece of scrap paper to leave a note.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/prod...tmnt-rcrd-book

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
Bet you my next paycheck that the landowner left the note not a lease hunter
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #73
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I really dont think more than 1 or 2% of HF are installed due to people hunting a fence line.
Those fences are tens of thousands or more dollars and more likely they are installed because someone with deep pockets would rather guarentee bigs bucks rather than hunt big bucks
Well we had this fence line problem on deer lease I was on. We pitched in high fenced 1 mile on that side of the property. Not all high fences encompass entire properties.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #74
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

He messed up by crossing the fence and disconnecting your feeder.
If it's on this side of the fence and your'e not shooting into his property and the corn from the feeder isn't crossing the fence, it's none of his business.
If he really doesn't like it, he can put up a high fence so no one can steal "His" deer....
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #75
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
Why? You’ve already broke leases agreement with landowner by having it that close to fence
If you read my post, OPs post the lease agreement part was not mentioned. OP posted that part same time I posted.

That’s “Why”
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #76
Slicefixer
Six Point

Quote:
You'd be surprised....hehehe
Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #77
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_scones View Post
It's complicated. I wasn't involved in the decision.

I can say, that this years lease agreement he specifically added that all feeders and blinds must be at least 100 feet away from property lines.

So if said hunter had moved the feeder after signing the latest lease agreement this probably would not be an issue.

I'm not looking to draw anyone offsides with the post. Just want level headed thoughts. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
He messed up by crossing the fence and disconnecting your feeder.
If it's on this side of the fence and your'e not shooting into his property and the corn from the feeder isn't crossing the fence, it's none of his business.
If he really doesn't like it, he can put up a high fence so no one can steal "His" deer....

OK, I didn't see this and I take what I said back. Move the feeder 40 feet and be done with it.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #78
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a feeder 60 yds from a fence, there is nothing wrong with a blind on the fence looking onto your property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
I did not know there was a feeder made that could sling corn 60yds out!!!
Please note he said 60 FEET, not 60 yards. Carry on.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #79
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas
Default Fenceline

I guess I'm old school but I've never set a stand or feeder where my neighbors could see them. Just keeps everyone happy and no drama. But yes it's your lease so you can set up where you want and deal with these types of problems.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:27 AM   #80
rjbowmaster
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards co./wilson co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Trespassing
Vandalism
Hunter harassment

Exactly, get GW involved and that won’t happen again.

rjbowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #81
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

We have several food plots that are next to fence lines, why ? Because it was the best place to put them, we also have a couple of stands along a fence line, same reason. The only problem I have with neighbors is when they place a feeder next to me and will be shooting towards or onto my property, that is dangerous, other than that all is good. Cannot believe they came onto your property and disconnected your feeder, that took some balls.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:36 AM   #82
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

That's old man hand writing. You are doing the correct thing moving the feeder.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #83
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddle View Post
Looks like the paper is from an animal treatment record book. Handy books but an expensive piece of scrap paper to leave a note.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/prod...tmnt-rcrd-book

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
could be but 'Rite in the Rain' makes several types of paper tablets, mainly for forestry workers.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #84
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

Maybe try to think like a rancher. In my experience, the ground and vegetation is affected by the presence of a feeder probably at least 60 feet in every direction due to the concentration of animals walking around trampling away all the grass, hogs rooting around, etc. At a bare minimum, I think a feeder should at least be far enough away from a fence to not affect the ground or vegetation along the fence because that could eventually affect the fence itself. I would always try to err on the side of courtesy.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #85
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
I guess I'm old school but I've never set a stand or feeder where my neighbors could see them. Just keeps everyone happy and no drama. But yes it's your lease so you can set up where you want and deal with these types of problems.
Same here. Asking for trouble when you start putting ANYTHING close to fence lines, especially stands and feeders. Its like your just agging the neighbor on or daring him to say something. That is not conducive to working toward better relations with your neighbor.
I also see a lot of comments on here where some of you guys are saying to move the feeder closer to the fence ... why? just to prove something? Besides, the OP said there is a lease agreement of a 100' (that's feet, not yards!) rule of not placing things within that limit.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #86
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
Same here. Asking for trouble when you start putting ANYTHING close to fence lines, especially stands and feeders. Its like your just agging the neighbor on or daring him to say something. That is not conducive to working toward better relations with your neighbor.
I also see a lot of comments on here where some of you guys are saying to move the feeder closer to the fence ... why? just to prove something? Besides, the OP said there is a lease agreement of a 100' (that's feet, not yards!) rule of not placing things within that limit.
OP stated in a later post and not the original post
Old 11-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #87
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
He shouldn’t be on your property, but the feeder shouldn’t be that close to the fence if there is a provision in the lease agreement for it to be further. Your land owner very well could’ve already talked to the neighbor about this issue, which is probably why he added the distance restriction to the lease. Now the land owner has to deal with a trespassing neighbor and a lease holder who’s not upholding the lease agreement, so yeah, I’m sure he’s not real happy right now.
Bingo
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #88
ATI
Ten Point

Don't call a Game Warden and don't blow it up.

Most likely that land owner knows your lease rules and knows feeders must be 100 feet from the fence, also that land owner is probably either family or friends with your land owner and crossing the fence is not a big deal to your land owner in this situation, because your hunter broke the rules (whether he knew it or not)

Don't create drama, move the feeder and be done.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #89
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Lease agreement is one thing to follow. Your land or no rule stating is another. Stands and feeders on a fence line is not asking for trouble. It’s simply using the land your paying for however the heck you want. If a neighbor wants to trespass, harass or cause trouble then the problem is on them. Don’t break the law shooting across the fence or slinging corn over.

My neighbor has a feeder 15 Feet from our north fence. He has a bow stand 20 yds further down the fence and a rifle blind 100 yds further down. It doesn’t bother me one bit. It suits his property the best for him to hunt.

Feeder 15’ in or 100’ in the same deer are being hunted. I “hunt” his feeder in a way. I may not shoot one on his side of the fence but I set up 50 yds inside my property line and catch the deer filtering from my place to his feeder location all the time when wind is right.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #90
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
X2, why landowners prefer not to lease property. Easy for hunters to lease a place and not consider the forever nature of the situation for the landowners. Lease members move on but the issues left behind stay with the landowners (neighbors) forever.

Last edited by camoclad; 11-27-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #91
Slicefixer
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
X2, why landowners prefer not to lease property. Easy for hunters to lease a place and not consider the forever nature of the situation for the landowners. Lease members move on but the issues left behind stay with the landowners (neighbors) forever.
......yep......100%
Old 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #92
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

It’s legal. Go let the neighbor know you are not breaking the law and if necessary you can call the GW.

Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #93
esoct25
Four Point

Our place in Brady is 10000 acres . Our neighbor has 350 an had 7 feeders rite on our fence as well. Well our landowner gave him a free high fence on 3 sides with highway on the other lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
esoct25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #94
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Lease agreement is one thing to follow. Your land or no rule stating is another. Stands and feeders on a fence line is not asking for trouble. It’s simply using the land your paying for however the heck you want. If a neighbor wants to trespass, harass or cause trouble then the problem is on them. Don’t break the law shooting across the fence or slinging corn over.

My neighbor has a feeder 15 Feet from our north fence. He has a bow stand 20 yds further down the fence and a rifle blind 100 yds further down. It doesn’t bother me one bit. It suits his property the best for him to hunt.

Feeder 15’ in or 100’ in the same deer are being hunted. I “hunt” his feeder in a way. I may not shoot one on his side of the fence but I set up 50 yds inside my property line and catch the deer filtering from my place to his feeder location all the time when wind is right.
This is a solicitation for opinions thread. Antlers just stated mine.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #95
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

A lot of you young people have lost all respect . From fishing to hunting . Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. No different than you fishing and catching fish and I come barreling azz in there and cutting you off. Respect you bunch of millennials.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #96
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
A lot of you young people have lost all respect . From fishing to hunting . Just because it's legal doesn't make it right. No different than you fishing and catching fish and I come barreling azz in there and cutting you off. Respect you bunch of millennials.

Good analogy.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #97
Antlers86
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Public water you don’t own it. Good point but still if I own the land I will do as I please and whatever suits the area I am setting up.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #98
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Public water you don’t own it. Good point but still if I own the land I will do as I please and whatever suits the area I am setting up.
Really? Even if it gets you cross with your neighbors? Keep in mind the OP is a leasee, not a landowner
Old 11-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #99
KNEE DEEP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county,Texas

This thread just shows who you want to be on a lease with and who not to be.
KNEE DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #100
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Never had a problem with a feeder near a fence.Blinds I keep at least 100yds away.And yeah,I'd be ****** too.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top