Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Ivanite
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County, Sea Drift, Argentina, Africa
Default Truck Flatbeds Yes/No?

I'm thinking about going to a flatbed on my F-350 SRW. What are some things I haven't thought of? Do you like yours? What's irritating? Truck is mainly used back and forth to Ranch every weekend.

Thanks
Ivanite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
AlwaysGigEm
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I'm Invited

I've never had one myself, but a good buddy did. I enjoyed that truck so much. It was his daily driver, and he always spoke about how much easier it made ranch/lease life.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #3
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

They are nice, much easier to work off of than the typical pickup, just wish they weren't so expensive, that way you could keep trying until you found the style you like. Wouldn't mind finding one suitable for my half-ton.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
sideways
Ten Point

I donít understand why anyone would want one unless they use it for welding or hauling a stock trailer. I know me personally I have no need for one and I can pack all my stuff in my regular bed with no fear of it all falling out. 50 bags of corn no problem. Iím sure guys haul all kinds of stuff with flatbeds but I would never want one. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
bowhuntz
Six Point

I want one as well. Great for farm and ranch use but when I travel for hunts I think it would be a little harder to strap and secure everything down. Its much easier to just throw everything in the bed of the truck.
bowhuntz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Hawkins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young & Jack county

I am getting a norstar in a week or so. I miss my old one. But I work out of my truck everyday

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

My next truck will be a flatbed. They are handier than a pocket on a shirt. Lock boxes down the side, easy load access, and if you put flip up rails on it it's no different than a regular bed when it comes to stuff falling out/off. No tailgate or bed rails to worry about when hooking up your goose neck either.

I just realized, I bet most of 3/4 - 1 ton pickups owned by TBH'ers don't even have a gooseneck or a 5'er in the bed so the last benefit may not matter.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Ramball36
Ten Point

Anyone who works off of their truck a lot needs one!

I’ve built several, but never have time to build my own. My ford has a color matched CM skirted bed. It works okay, but the floor pops and the boxes leak. I would love to build a custom one for myself with more pronghorn style boxes.

A couple I’ve built. A lot of the guys around here are taking a liking to them on their little trucks.

Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

Iíve debated making my next truck a flatbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #10
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

The one on the tan taco is killer.... great work!
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

I would love to put a flatbed on my truck, I could put a bigger aux tank on it and then put tool boxes down the side. Be easier to workout of rather than having to climb into the bed of my truck every time I needed to get into my tool box, easier to hook up to my gooseneck hitch and have more space between the trailer and aux/tool box, and wouldn’t have to use the extension hitch anymore, but a long bed truck would also take care of that!
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramball36 View Post

Iíve built several, but never have time to build my own. My ford has a color matched CM skirted bed. It works okay, but the floor pops and the boxes leak. I would love to build a custom one for myself with more pronghorn style boxes.

A couple Iíve built. A lot of the guys around here are taking a liking to them on their little trucks.

My brother showed me one of those trucks I think.. do you buy animals from D4 exotics??
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramball36 View Post

Iíve built several, but never have time to build my own. My ford has a color matched CM skirted bed. It works okay, but the floor pops and the boxes leak. I would love to build a custom one for myself with more pronghorn style boxes.

A couple Iíve built. A lot of the guys around here are taking a liking to them on their little trucks.

Dude, you do phenomenal work! That Tacoma is bad azz
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #14
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I sold truckbeds for a while, one thing I noticed is that some guys are flatbed guys and some aren't. What I mean is that it is usually a no-brainer for guys that want a flatbed they don't hesitate, they just need their flatbed. If you are on the fence about it you may regret it later.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Just be prepared to strap everything down!
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I have been thinking about getting one.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #17
Nike
Six Point

Just put a Norstar service body on my Drw f-350 and couldn’t be happier.

They’re hard to come by used but thank goodness as I couldn’t afford this particular bed otherwise

http://www.norstarcompany.com/sd.cfm

Last edited by Nike; 10-15-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #18
RyHolub
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora & Rutersville

My uncle has had one on his last two trucks. Definitely has me wanting one and I havenít heard of any complaints from him.

RyHolub is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’m dang tempted to throw a flat bed on my 350 SRW. It sure would make life a lot easier.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #20
RyHolub
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Iím dang tempted to throw a flat bed on my 350 SRW. It sure would make life a lot easier.

Me too, but that 4K to put it on is making me wait till someone or something messes up my aluminum bed.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #21
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

If you’re working out of your truck, ranching, welding, etc. they’re great but no advantage for the average guy to have one, more of an inconvenience. I put one on a Tacoma I had after the bed rusted out. Having to tie/strap everything down makes it a pain in the ***.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #22
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I have several but they are all work trucks, no way i would want one for my regular truck.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #23
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Good for loading/unloading pallets with a forklift.

I wouldn't want one...
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #24
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyHolub View Post
Me too, but that 4K to put it on is making me wait till someone or something messes up my aluminum bed.

Yep. Plus I donít want to lose any payload capacity. Iím already scraping by as it is. Got a feeling a dually is in my future unfortunately.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #25
RyHolub
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Yep. Plus I donít want to lose any payload capacity. Iím already scraping by as it is. Got a feeling a dually is in my future unfortunately.

I had one, donít get me wrong I loved it but was a PIA in the city. If I was hauling a trailer every day, wouldíve been a different story. Plus I like a clean truck and going through a car wash

Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #26
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
If youíre working out of your truck, ranching, welding, etc. theyíre great but no advantage for the average guy to have one, more of an inconvenience. I put one on a Tacoma I had after the bed rusted out. Having to tie/strap everything down makes it a pain in the ***.
Caint you put some removable sides on? Stained wood looks sharp like in ryholub post
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #27
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Until you have one itís hard to explain. Itís just easier on so many levels to work from and tow from. Here is mine

sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #28
RyHolub
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
Caint you put some removable sides on? Stained wood looks sharp like in ryholub post

Yeah my uncle did that nice. I think it accents the king ranch. I thought he would have issues keeping stuff in the bed also when he first got it but itís been to Illinois and will be going to Colorado this week and he hasnít lost anything yet.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #29
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

Built 2 for my own pickups. If you have the time, tools, skills, and patience, its cheaper to go that route for a skirted bed. If you want the non-skirted, its a wash from what I find. All in all, I loved the bed. Hooking up trailers was a breeze. It was wider and longer than a factory bed so I loaded all kids of stuff on it that would not fit between the wheel wells or sides of a standard bed. The built in toolboxes were great too. Plus, it just looked bad @$$ with the flatbed.

On the flip side, Im really liking the fact that I went back to the factory bed. Its lighter, which helped out on my gasser. The departure angle is better with the factory setup so I dont run the risk of getting stuck offroad like I did this winter when the bed bottomed me out on a wash I was crossing. I also dont have to strap everything down anymore to keep in on/in the bed. The bedsides also conceal stuff in my bed a little better from a distance.

All in all, I think they're great. If I had a situation where I was using a truck primarily for work, Ide run one again in a heartbeat. However, I dont think I would run one on my daily again. Just my $.02.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #30
Ramball36
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160class View Post
My brother showed me one of those trucks I think.. do you buy animals from D4 exotics??
I was a partner in a company that did, it wouldíve been my old partner that showed him. Letís just say he didnít have much to do with the actual design or work on them lol, Iíve since gone back on my own and have a few different beds on the board for both Toyotaís and full size pickups.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #31
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I had one when I ran cows and poured concrete.. I loved it. I used it as a work bench as much as I used it as a truck bed.. fuel cell on top and had every hand tool you could imagine in the side boxes.. when I went out of town I just strapped my totes down .. now yall have me wanting a new one.. I hate having a regular bed on a pick up . It's the first thing to get dented and scratched.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #32
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

I had one on an 02 Tundra and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #33
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
And then you gotta remove them and store them. And if you leave them on, you might as well have a bed.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

I've been thinking of putting one on my F350 SRW. I'm sick and tired of not being able to reach anything in my toolbox or in the bed without crawling in the bed to get it. If I need to get something out of the bed and try to reach over the siderail, I get dirt all over my nice clean clothes. I might miss my backup camera, but I lived 40+ years without one so I bet I'll survive. I'm just tired of crawling up in that big bastage everytime I need something....which is everyday.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I've been thinking of putting one on my F350 SRW. I'm sick and tired of not being able to reach anything in my toolbox or in the bed without crawling in the bed to get it. If I need to get something out of the bed and try to reach over the siderail, I get dirt all over my nice clean clothes. I might miss my backup camera, but I lived 40+ years without one so I bet I'll survive. I'm just tired of crawling up in that big bastage everytime I need something....which is everyday.

Put the strawboss lawnchair in the back cab floorboard and tie your beer cooler to the back tiedown cleat so it doesn't slide around.. Problem solved.

I could see how they would be handy on a flat road and a flat dirt lease but nothing on the flatbed would make it very long on my rocky hill lease. My ranching landowner prefers bedded trucks for that very reason. Guess it depends on your situation.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #36
RyHolub
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
And then you gotta remove them and store them. And if you leave them on, you might as well have a bed.

Weíve put pallets on the bed no problem. It allows more use of the bed and having the quick draw tool box. You just have to take the wing nut and bolt to take the end of and then slide it right back on.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #37
ditchdigger2
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby & Gonzales Co
Default Flatbeds

Hey Curt they can move the backup camera to the flatbed also, work just like factory location nearly
ditchdigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #38
trailrider
Six Point

Hunt In: parker cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I watch all of Ramball36's builds that I catch. Ive seen him mold those cameras right into his beds.
trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #39
mikey2
Associate Sponsor

Mobile work bench, ladder, sawhorse, cutting board, anvil, shooting bench, feed hauler, I could go on and on.
mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #40
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I think they look badazz as far as function and usability I can’t say I’ve never owned one.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #41
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

My dual wheeled F350 has one, but my F150 carries a Leer cover so if I haul much bulky stuff it’s either a trailer or the one ton. I move my tractor and backhoe with it, carry chains and boomers, tool box, fuel tank, etc. I wouldn’t be without it although I’ve seen some beds I like better than mine. I put some short side-boards on mine to keep corn, fertilizer, seed, etc. from falling off. It’s easier to unload when it’s waist high rather than being down in a pickup bed.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #42
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
The one on the tan taco is killer.... great work!
I second that! Man that thing is awesome!
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #43
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

I think they look pretty ghey on short bed trucks.......not that theres anything wrong with that......
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #44
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
I think they look pretty ghey on short bed trucks.......not that theres anything wrong with that......
I think all half ton trucks are ghey...Not that there is anything wrong with that...
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #45
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
I think all half ton trucks are ghey...Not that there is anything wrong with that...
Me too!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #46
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

It’s handier than a shirt pocket if you actually work out of your truck.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #47
Ramball36
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider View Post
I watch all of Ramball36's builds that I catch. Ive seen him mold those cameras right into his beds.
Camera and backup sensors can stay, the only thing that wonít work is any kind of blind spot monitoring device. The higher trim Toyotaís have that and thereís no way to integrate it, you just have to disable it in the dash.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #48
Draco
Pope & Young

If you build them right, there is massive amounts of storage and tool space. The one I built for a friend has drawers down both side and tool boxes both sides and another tool box in the rear. There is 21 cubic ft. of storage just in the drawers. Here's the drawers on my welding truck. His were basically the same.
Attached Images

Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #49
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
I am getting a norstar in a week or so. I miss my old one. But I work out of my truck everyday

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Norstar makes some really nice beds. I have one on one of my trucks, and really like how itís built.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #50
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Huntless

My father has one on his truck and he absolutely loves it. I doubt he will ever go back to a regular bed
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top