AR recoil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR recoil question

How does the recoil compare on 300 BLK vs 6.5 grendel in the AR platform? I have an AR in .556, but I am building a second for the kids to learn to hunt on. Have a lightweight build mostly done, just need to decide on caliber and pick up the barrel, gas block & BCG. Shots would be inside 150 for sure with most in the 75 range where we hunt. Upper is built assuming 16" barrel or longer.

Never shot a 300 but my grendel doesnt recoil much at all that I can tell. Pleasure to shoot.

Comment

My experience with kids and AR’s is although there isn’t much recoil they seem to flinch more due to the noise of the action more than with a bolt gun with more recoil. Not sure if I said that where it makes sense...

Jason

Comment

To me there is no difference at all

God Bless
        Bish

Comment

I think the recoil of the .300 is less. The 6.5 Grendel and .223/5.56 are about the same. Not enough recoil in any of them that you can't stay on target. Every rifle I've ever shot in AR platform wasn't so bad that I couldn't see the hits in the scope.

Having said that the noise will probably be worse than the recoil as was already mentioned. If you're not going to suppress it I'd go with the Grendel. If it's gonna be loud it might as well shoot faster and flatter.

Comment

Keep the hearing aids on & let the kiddos shoot the 5.56 all they want on the range & get custom...they should not feel any difference going to the BO or GR. I would highly suggest using a light good hunting bullet like the 110gr barnes in the BO.

Comment

All about the same in my opinion. Adjustable gas block will help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

AR recoil question

Very little difference in recoil to me. Probably slightly more with the Grendel. For your needs, I would definitely go with the Grendel or a 6.8 SPC. Shooting suppressed sub-sonic rounds is the only place that the .300 BLK stands out to me. I had one for a while and sold the upper to build a 6.5
                Last edited by Raider4044; 08-31-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

AR recoil question

Duplicate...

Comment

I used an AR 15-22 to teach my older son to shoot. Using hearing protection and a red dot he picked it all up very quickly. I liked being able to adjust the stock to have him in proper shooting position and focus on learning trigger control.

The switch to 556 from 22 was seamless. He didn’t even realize it the first time.

Comment

10/22 will be their first real gun past BB's. My 556 is an 11.3" pistol build, so familiar with the noise issue.

I know the 6.5 shines at distance, but hows the difference in terminal effects inside 100? Considering the 110 tsx in the 300 blk.

Comment

You are overthinking this. Either of those inside 100 are deadly on Texas deer

Comment

I have both and kill just fine inside 100, but the Grendel can do it better at longer ranges.
                          If your gonna build just one, it should be the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                            I have both and kill just fine inside 100, but the Grendel can do it better at longer ranges.
                            If your gonna build just one, it should be the Grendel.

I have guns in both calibers. For inside 100 yards I choose the 300 Blackout. The Grendel will certainly get it done but it’s such a waste of a good caliber and it’s more expensive to shoot.

If you stick with the Barnes 110 black tip bullets in the Blackout? It will most anything in Texas with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Grendel hands down IMO...and it just "ain't" for kids! Great caliber and yes, ammo is more expensive but what a great round....IMO of course again.

Comment

Working...
                              X