Another selfbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another selfbow

What do I need to seal this thing with ( if I don't break it first like all the others I've made.) Read somewhere not to use any kind of oil. Does that include Tru Oil?

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

I use water based wipe on poly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
      I use water based wipe on poly

Hmmm. Didn't know there was such a thing. Doesn't seem like it could be poly if it's water base. Thanks, I'll look for some.

Comment

Poly urethane can be water or oil based it’s just basically a mixture that bonds to make a finish. Water based is just easier to clean up and spreads with a rag for me

Comment

I used 3 coats of Bullseye spray shellac sanding lightly between coats and after for a sealer.
          Then used tru oil finish on my osage.

Comment

Can’t tell if it’s hickory or red oak. Either way, great job Ronnie! Any white or red wood will accept most all finishes. Tru oil is great. Let it dry and use 0000 steel wool to smooth between coats. As many coats as you want. The more coats, the richer and deeper the finish. Wipe on poly, shellac, spar urethane, it will all work on that wood. You run into trouble with oily South American woods such as Ipe, bulletwood, and ironwood. Oils don’t dry very well. A couple coats of shellac will allow any finish to dry on any wood. Shellac drys fast on anything.

Comment

pretty stick...hard to tell though, have you put a string on it?... public demands a pic with it strung up!!! looks good!!

Comment

Lookin’ good Ronnie!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I used to finish them with several coats of tru-oil. You can rub it in your with your finger. I later switched to Deft Lacquer because it dries in about 15 minutes. But it's not a very durable finish. I eventually started using Thunderbird. Supposedly it starts off as a lacquer, but after six hours, it turns into polyurethane. That's what it says on the can anyway. Finally, at the suggestion of Bob Sarrels, I'd use three or four coats of Thunderbird gloss followed by one or two coats of polyurethane matt finish.

A REALLY durable finish can be done with epoxy diluted in acetone. It's called a Massey finish.

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                    pretty stick...hard to tell though, have you put a string on it?... public demands a pic with it strung up!!! looks good!!
                    Can you tell the bottom limb is a little weak?

That's because the ### is broke!! Lol

Comment

My selfbows haven’t gotten to the part for me to put a finish but seems like most people I asked they use boiled linseed oil.

If you want a really soft finish use a water dampen rag and pass it on. It will raise the wood strands as it dries. Then use OOO steel wool you’ll be amazed how it will look like if it’s polished

Comment

Looks like it could use a coat of Line X.

Comment

True oil for Arvin. Easy to fix a scratch. Good job on the bow by the way. Arvin

Comment

I'm like Rubio. Can't get to the point of needing a finish. I thought this was the one but I couldn't stand it, I just had to over draw it. [emoji15][emoji5]

Comment

wait ..did you say it broke...darn shame if thats true!!
                              apologies if i misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
                              X