Cane Pole Fishing in Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane Pole Fishing in Texas?

Does anyone use Cane poles for Crappie fishing in Texas? (not the traditional bamboo, but the fiberglass telescoping type)

Awhile ago I went up to Wisconsin one summer with a buddy and his family, spent the week catching Perch, Crappie, Bluegill (even caught a few catfish and bass) left and right out of a jon boat on the main lakes. Took some time to get the hang of it but after a day or so, it was very efficient with two poles per person and a blast.

Haven't seen anyone in Texas using them, not sure if I just don't get out enough or if its just a Northern kinda thing.

Thinking about trying it in some creeks this year for white bass and crappies, anyone have a favorite pole/bait combo they would suggest?

We use them to catch perch for bait

Comment

Yep it’s one of my favorite ways to fish.

Y’all can have all them ditch pickles. I’ll take a big mess of bream or white perch (crappie) on a pole any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes still use them. Use them for flounder also

Comment

I remember growing up and seeing folks on their way to fish with the cane poles hanging out of their vehicles.

Comment

I’ve actually caught some pretty big fish on Calcutta cane. Cats up to 30lbs and a few bass up to 6 lbs. It was a very productive way to fish.

Comment

what's brand poles are ya'll using?

Comment

I use the BnM poles when they are really shallow during the spawn. I tie a 24” section of line and ply small areas with it to sneak up on fish. Deadly for about 2 weeks.

Comment

I use one a few times a year for bream. Reminds me of fishing with my grandpa.

Comment

I've caught buckets of catfish with one

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

No help here but that sure brings great memories of seining for chub and chasing catfish at the farm as a kid with family.

Comment

One of my favorite ways to brim fish.

Comment

Bnm used to make one called a black widow. It had a reel built into the handle. It was nice. I stick with bamboo now

Comment

That's my go to set up for crappie. About 12 foot pole and hand tied jigs. I also like the BnM poles.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Y’all can have all them ditch pickles

Common exclamation from a bad fisherman.

Comment

Working...
                              X