Fishing around College Station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello All, I'll be up with my wife near College Station next week for a few days. Was wondering if there are decent bank fishing spots near or around there this time of year? Not familiar with the area, having to go up there for some Dr. Appointments for my wife. Trying to find something to do to help her get her mind of things. Thanks in Advance!

Lake Bryan has some good spots for bank fishing for bass and possibly cats. Never fished out there this time of year but I’ve caught a lot of bass there. I’m pretty sure that gibbons creek reservoir is closed during the week and is 20 mins out of town. Lake Somerville is an option but I’ve never had much luck from the bank except in the creek below the dam during summer fishing for white bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will definitely look in to it. Thank You!

Comment

love local pond bass fishing

Comment

There is a small pond at the George HW Bush library with fish.
          We caught bluegill, small bass and a nice catfish there on nightcrawlers.

Comment

The former police Station has a pond. Its fished alot, but I have been able to trick a couple decent sized bass to eating a topwater at dusk before back in my college days. One day I stood there with a small hook and a box if worms and caught hundreds of perch and tossed them into a big cooler with an aerator. Took them home put them in an aquarium, then ran trotlines on the Brazos river with them.

Gibbons Creek Reservoir is a pretty good place. I've caught bass upwards of 7lbs, flathead up to 30lbs and many blue cats and crappie. Bring a castnet, catch shad and use them as cut bait. It sounds bizarre, but I took my girlfriend there and did just and she reeled in 3 whooper bass caught on cut bait back to back. Check the hours of operation.

Never been a fan of Lake Bryan.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

During my A&M days we used to catch good sized hybrids and also white bass at the Somerville spillway when they are releasing water.

We'd also catch bass in the Research Park ponds but I don't know if it's allowed anymore.

Oh and we'd catch big bass in the big pond at Bryan Municipal Golf Course. There were No Fishing signs but no one ever bothered us. We'd release them all--rumor was that the pond had arsenic. But the bass were big and stupid!

Comment

Gibbons creek is open Friday Saturday and Sunday. There is a dock and a decent section of bank to fish. I caught some crappie the other day but was in a boat. 10-12 foot near trees or stumps.

Lake Bryan just isn't worth it anymore but they have a small dock you can fish. Lots of bank access and the cut under the bridge can produce.

Somerville is two feet low and looks like a mud hole right now. Need a boat.

Central Park pond would be an easy place to fish. Or the old police pond like mentioned. The research park ponds on campus are nice. Not supposed to fish them but we have and with not many people on campus probably would work.

Comment

Check the tpwd trout release page. College Station has a few release spots.

Comment

I pulled some decent sized catfish out of Central Park pond back in the day with chicken hearts. A few bass in there too.

Comment

Gibbons Creek use to be pretty good to me.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                        During my A&M days we used to catch good sized hybrids and also white bass at the Somerville spillway when they are releasing water.

We'd also catch bass in the Research Park ponds but I don't know if it's allowed anymore.

Oh and we'd catch big bass in the big pond at Bryan Municipal Golf Course. There were No Fishing signs but no one ever bothered us. We'd release them all--rumor was that the pond had arsenic. But the bass were big and stupid!

The golf course isn’t there anymore, and they’re in the middle of digging the pond out. They’re turning the land into a huge park/athletic complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are several of the parks that are stocked. Most are small so no real traffic if you just want some quiet time.

There's Brothers Park Pond and Crompton Park pond, those should be stocked.
                          I used to take my boys to Brothers and we caught a few fish. Also fished old police station and central park.

I think @ Bush library you have to take the barbs off the hook.

Comment

Wow, y'all are awesome! Thank you all for the great info! Will definitely be looking into some of these places.

Comment

Not sure what the water temps are down there, but just about any water you find holds carp. A lot of times there are bodies of water within walking distance that are fishable. Carp on a fly are super fun to catch. Just saying, that is what I would target, or at least have a rod with me, in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X