Raising Ostrich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Ostrich

So i bought a half dozen Ostrich a month ago. 1 yr olds. they are in a high fence 350 acres. South Louisiana. Has anyone raised them? Will they breed on their own successfully? I can put them in a seperate 10 acre pen if they are a pain. so far so good. any tips? We are not planning on shooting them unless they breed like crazy which i don't think will happen here in south Louisiana where it rains a decent amount... thx!

The males get mean. The males also set the eggs. What is your long term plan. My daughter has a big male she can't even give away.

Comment

no real long term plan besides raise them and see if they will breed. just a fun project. good or bad all good. just wanted to know if they can successfully breed on the "wild" in Louisiana mainly. thx!

Comment

Give it a try. As far as them raising their own chicks, I'd leave them alone as much as possible. If they don't lay in clutches they won't sit on the eggs. They breed in pairs with only the dominant pair breeding unless they have a lot of room. How much room, I don't know.
        Last edited by Walker; 12-26-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Why?? This was tried back in the late 80’s and failed miserably. There is no market for ostriches. What are you doing with them? They aren’t pets either

Comment

I love your style!
            Jump in first, ask questions later
            Those are the best adventures

Comment

thx for info. Well lets jut say i have worked hard enough where i can make a mistake and buy some birds and if it doesn't work out its no big deal... We jut eat them if it doesn't work out! They are in 350 acre HF with 100 other exotics. i was curious if anyone actually owned them and had them successfully breed in the woods with no help... thats all. they are friendly so far... and if not they will meet my friend four five... lol

Comment

I use to butcher emu’s as a kid and they had a few ostriches. I just remember my dads friends carrying a PVC pipe with a square at the end. It was taller then them, he would hit them on the head and they were terrified of him. They don’t like things anything taller then them I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by deerdynasty View Post
                  So i bought a half dozen Ostrich a month ago. 1 yr olds. they are in a high fence 350 acres. South Louisiana. Has anyone raised them? Will they breed on their own successfully? I can put them in a seperate 10 acre pen if they are a pain. so far so good. any tips? We are not planning on shooting them unless they breed like crazy which i don't think will happen here in south Louisiana where it rains a decent amount... thx!
                  Oh-em-gee, my head is spinning! I feel as if I've climbed into the back seat of a DeLorean and gone back to the 1980s! Quick! Someone hand me a Ghetto Blaster!

Comment

Scott,
                    Are you the guy that used to produce Duck Dynasty?

Comment

No value here other than I remember a local mest processor having a few ostrich or emus. Don't remember which. Anyhow dropped off my deer and asked him what the heck he was doing with them. He said they make really great sausage. I have yet to try it.

Comment

Was chased by one once. Scared this shet out of me. We laughed for hours afterwards

Comment

Man I done seen it all now lol! Good luck on the fun adventure.

Comment

Working...
                          X