Thoughts on the newer half ton trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the newer half ton trucks

If you have purchased a half ton truck in the last couple of years, what make/model and what are your thoughts on the truck? I'm in the market for a new one and want to explore all options. The 3.0 L Turbo Diesels are really interesting. Really looking for something that gets decent mileage. Will only be towing relatively light loads, so I don't need a really powerful motor.

‘19 f150 here, 5.0 motor. ~44,000 miles. Love the truck

Comment

Just bought a 2020 Tundra SR5. Been driving 3/4 or 1 tons for 25 + yrs. Really liking this truck though.

Comment

2019 Dodge Lonestar. Love it.

Comment

My personal truck is a 15 f150 5.0 104000 with zero issues
          Work truck is 19 f150 3.5 eco boost 28000 with zero issues.
          The 3.5 is the best engine in a f150 imo

Comment

If you are not towing much I'd save that diesel money.

Last gasser I had was a 5.0 F150 and that was a fun little truck. Basically a car with a big trunk.

Comment

Ford F150 with the ecoboost.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
                The 3.5 is the best engine in a f150 imo
                You are the first person I've ever heard say that. Since you drive both I'll take your word for it.

I could have just been the bugs getting worked out of the Eco Boost engines back in the day though.

Comment

I like having a shift lever instead of a dial so ram on the bottom of my list I had both the 5.7 hemi and the V-6 penta as short term lease trucks ( really liked the V-6 penta)

Ford & gmc 3.0 diesel mated with The 10 speed transmission sounds interesting @ 30+ mpg and 400+ feet of torque

I have a Chevy 1500 with 5.3 and 6 speed transmission that is a decent truck , ok power 17 mpg & 11-12 towing a small equipment hauler

Those 3.0 diesel trucks sound interesting in a 1/2 ton

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                    You are the first person I've ever heard say that. Since you drive both I'll take your word for it.

I could have just been the bugs getting worked out of the Eco Boost engines back in the day though.
                    Yup and I fought for the v8 when I was given the 3.5
                    After having it for almost a year I'm convinced.
                    It tows better.
                    It has better acceleration.
                    Mpg is the same.
                    Now the 19 does have the 10 spd.
                    I have not driven the v8 with the 10 spd

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post

Our HVAC guy had a eco boost and threw a rod pulling his bay boat, and ford bought it back he is in a tundra and loves it except for the short bed and fuel cell

Comment

The only problem, and a big one for me, is that the new 3.0 baby duramax diesels are that the oil pumps are belt driven. Also they moved the timing chain and the oil pump to the back of the motor. So if you have to change the timing chain or that oil pump belt you have to drop transmission to get to it.
                        Not sure why they didn’t just add another chain to the oil pump? I guess its more money for them if/when it breaks.

Comment

2018 Silverado Texas Edition with 5.3. Went from a Tacoma. Love it. Got 20.4 back from lease today

Comment

Originally posted by txbowkill View Post
                            ‘19 f150 here, 5.0 motor. ~44,000 miles. Love the truck
                            X 2 with the FX4 package..

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                              Just bought a 2020 Tundra SR5. Been driving 3/4 or 1 tons for 25 + yrs. Really liking this truck though.

Same here. Love my Tundra.

Comment

Working...
                              X