City Water Shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City Water Shortage

Can anyone explain what causes the loss of water pressure for the City of Houston and surrounding areas? It seems they happened after the freeze events.

Dickinson sent a notice to stop non essential use so the fire department can use it.

I’m guessing water breaks and leaks causing pressure leaks or is there more to it?

City of llano just advised the water tower levels are extremely low. Asking everyone to conserve

Comment

The lady for the city of Houston just explained it fairly well.

It was refreshing to hear her say “I’m not gonna make excuses” and seemed to describe the situation the best she could.

Comment

Originally posted by 999 View Post
        The lady for the city of Houston just explained it fairly well.

It was refreshing to hear her say “I’m not gonna make excuses” and seemed to describe the situation the best she could.
        So what was the explanation??

Comment

Fire depts. do not have to have treated/ potable water to spray on a fire.

Comment

Could be a multitude of reasons. Broken water mains from freezing, no power at pumping stations or treatment plants, chemical lines freezing up and not feeding at the treatment plants etc.....

Comment

Lines busting drain constantly until they are found and repaired. Think of the homes and businesses who have water running constantly due to a pipe bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                So what was the explanation??
                Basically they couldn’t get the generators operating. They ran fine on Saturday but weren’t prepared for the cold. By state law they are supposed to have back ups at all locations. They had one down for long term maintenance that they are getting back online to help. Said should be better this evening and normal tomorrow.

The Dickinson fire notification was based on water pressure.

Comment

Our city just shut down the water supply. The usage was higher than they could produce/treat it. Way too many busted lines leaking water out of the system. Usage was over twice what it normally is because of leaks

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                    Fire depts. do not have to have treated/ potable water to spray on a fire.
                    Fire hydrants are tapped off the same potable drinking water system as your home water meter. There really isn't another option, besides maybe filling tanks from surface water. Which is all frozen now.

Even fire lines used for interior sprinkler systems are fed from the potable water infrastructure.

Comment

For our area it has been lack of power at the water treatment and pump facility

Comment

Yep fire dept pulls from same water main that feeds your house. We had 4 of our 9 wells off line this morning until we fixed a busted pipe on one of the chlorine injectors. We weren't in jeopardy of running out of water with them down but I'm sure when stuff starts to thaw that'll change. Is Houston surface water or ground water? I'm sure they have their own treatment facilities? Lots of moving parts to get water to your faucet and even more complicated with these record Temps/ loss of power.

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
                          For our area it has been lack of power at the water treatment and pump facility

This it what I was told by canyon lake water supply, no water going on three days now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X