Snipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snipe?

Does anyone actually go after these birds? It’s a hoot. Like quail hunting in the marsh.

Any recipes, or hunting tips?

Yes, I love hunting them. I’ve always just treated them the same as dove. I used to walk around the edge of our flooded fields, they make an unmistakable sound when they flush.

Comment

They are fun to hunt and can be a sporty shoot. They liked low, moist (not wet) areas where we would hunt them.

As for table fare, they are ok. Dove are better.

Comment

It is a blast. We hunt them in DU areas.

Comment

I hunt them. Lots of fun. I cook them just like a dove.

Comment

What size sack do y’all use? How far do you set up from the sack to start calling??

Comment

Boys, we got him. We finally got him.
              Attached Files

Comment

I carry a box or two of steel 7 shot just for those lil dart-n water-duck-n rascals! I've had a few duck hunts suddenly turn into snipe hunts. If they sense danger, they will submerge themselves in water, leaving only the eyes and tail above the waterline before jumping up and flying that zig-zag motion while letting out a "reeeeek". If they are working the mud near reeds or brush, they know to take out the opposite side you're on. If the bank is fairly open, and you spot one go down, your best shot is going to be with a full choke . Super spooky birds!

Comment

I've had a blast ever time I've taken someone Snipe hunting.

Comment

I still remember my first and last snipe hunt 51 years ago

Comment

To me they eat just like a dove. Are you a good wing shooter? Good on doves, ducks, especially teal? If you ever get the big head about your shooting ability go walk up some snipe. TG got it right. A little zig a little zag and if your lucky then they’ll go straight up. It’ll normally bring you back to being a little humble.
                      Last edited by Gumbo Man; 01-12-2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        What size sack do y’all use? How far do you set up from the sack to start calling??
                        That was my first thought

Comment

I can’t seem to get within ~20 yards before they flush. Then they’re at 30+ by the time I get my gun shouldered.

Comment

They show up behind my house every year around this time. My Brit flushes them rather than point. I'm sure they're a ton of fun to chase.

Comment

When I was a kid, I had a friend that had some supper hand to eye skills with a rifle. Saw him down a snipe with a 22 mag once! Those birds sure do some crazy flying and are hard to hit even with a shotgun for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X