Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Hoping to check back by lunch and see some LDPs
      X2

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope y’all are celebrating over a dead elk right now!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good luck on the track

Comment

Where is the update Gary ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looking forward to a positive update.

Hoping you are quartering him right now!

Comment

No elk. Found blood where we left him Last night. It played out when he got into grass and grid search didn't lead to any success. Must been too high after all.

Left edge of range is where I shot him. We are sitting on last blood.

To town to get new boots and socks as I am soaked after walking brush and grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Ryan happened on these matching sheds while helping me look for he elk.

We ended up seeing 5 bulls again along with 7 cows in three different bunches.

3 bull moose with two sparring and a brown bear.

Highlight of lowlight was, I walked up on a freshly killed mule deer doe less than 200 yards from our last blood. Could see her face and back hoofs as rest covered up in dirt and grass. Grizzly or cougar , both Ryan and Kevin packing 12 gauge defenders

Disappointing conclusion as we will watch for magpies and Ravens to help us out “if” he is dead. I need to get better and focus on the remainder of the week at this point as we have a lot of hunting to do and clearly are on a good number of elk.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Tough weather day. Foggy and rain all day less about 1 hour. To top that off , wind was changing all day. Hike up, hike down , multiple times.

Saw one bull early. Big sow and two cubs, a few mule deer. Pulled out at lunch and tried to chase some mulies in an area that is open. Ryan and Kevin on some 150-160 mule deer. It was even rainier and foggier there so we came back (one hour drive ) back to elk land and saw more fog and rain until dark.

Suppose to clear up mid day tomorrow for day or two.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Fogged our again this morning. Busted north a hour to an open mule deer zone. Found a nice 140 class buck and Greg (new archer ) put an hour stalk in a cut canola field before a spike got up from bed and busted them at 150 yards.

Skies have cleared for first time since I arrived so we have bolted back to our elk property and getting hiked in to start glassing for elk for an evening hunt.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Afternoon cleared up so back to the porcupine hills for elk. Same bull and herd of cows just off our access properties so felt good going in. Ryan and I took left range (where I shot on Friday ) and Kevin and Greg took right, leaving us inside a mule from each other. We both set up for evening. Greg and Kevin got on elk rather quickly as they spotted some cows and a spike just below them. While they looked for a bull in the herd we all set still glassing.

We were set to start calling at 7 pm. Ryan started to take out his gear at 6:55 and saw a text from Kevin that had come in at 6:49; four Grizzlies running our way hard at 500 yards, we are bugging out quickly.

Having seen them 6 minutes late , we scrambled to see if we could see Kevin and Greg (we had height advantage on them and had seen them 90% of their hike in). Couldn’t spot them , which was concerning. Got worse when we saw bears were less than 100 yards from where they were previously glassing and clearly headed directly on their path.

The grizzlies covered a 1000 additional yards in less than 10 minutes and we could never find the fellas (not realizing they had went into full jog getting the hell out of the timber). Having lost the bear for over 10 minutes and with no radio or visible sightings, we became quite concerned. Ryan moved about 50 yards north and found them shirtless at the truck drying out safely from the run.

A bit overwhelmed we decided to walk off the mountain ourselves and call it a day.

Saw additional elk from the truck and got into town before 10 when the last restaurant closes.

Woke up to fog again today so headed North to lower elevations to try and catch elk at first light in Hutterites canola fields the maybe stalk some mule deer. No luck with either. Headed back to motel for quick lunch.

Catching some really difficult weather conditions this year. Had I still lived here we would simply call the week off and all go back to work and try again next week. Unfortunately we cannot do that this week.

Some pictures including my buddy Jarrets bull from Saturday I’m pincher creek area.

Proud member since 1999

Comment

Awesome Adventure. Thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Working...
                                X