First Trad Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Trad Buck

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share the excitement of my first trad kill from the other night. It’s a long one, so buckle up. So I was able to secure some permission on some land that bordered some public I hunted along with another section of private I hunted.

I initially step foot into the property, headed for a pinch point between two ag fields. Arriving here, I wasn’t finding a single bit of sign I expected and decided to adjust fire and find another spot. This time I took off for a much thicker bedding area to my north that had water on one side and a field on the other. While walking to this area, I noticed a really good rub line on the predominant downwind side of the bedding area.

As I stepped into the woods near where I wanted to set stand, I realized I was much closer to bedding in this spot than realized, kicking up a few does on accident as I set my spot. Knowing I was on the downwind side of the bedding for that day where I was sitting, I decided to stick it out.

Here’s where the mishap happens. So at 3:00, I had a beautiful doe come walking out to browse in some greens in front of me. I’m never a guy to pass up a nice doe, even in the rut, so I waited for her to get closer. As she browsed and turned broadside, I experienced my first miss with the trad bow. I sent the arrow right underneath her. She jumped about three yards closer to me, not seeming to know what happened. So I adjusted, and sent a second arrow her way, missing high this time. So not only did I miss once, but I missed twice at the same doe within seconds of eachother. The first shot, I underestimated how far she was. My second shot, I hit my clicker way too soon before getting settled and the arrow just went.

So here I am for the next couple hours replaying everything in my head and what I should have done better. Then at 5:20, I looked down to check my phone real quick. While I’m doing this, I hear one of the loudest grunts I’ve ever heard. I looked up to see this buck working the field edge about 45 yards from me winding the whole bedding area to the north and south of me looking for a doe. I couldn’t see his antlers very well, but just looking at the body I knew it was a deer I wanted.

As he was getting ready to enter back into the woods, I was able to get my grunt call out. I admittedly never have luck getting deer to come in to a calling sequence, but had to try. I let out three real quick and soft tending grunts, followed up immediately by a low doe bleat. As soon as I did this, I heard crashing where he entered the woods. Seconds later, he appeared out of the thick stuff, headed right for me! Only problem was I had a sapling with branches I had to work around depending on the direction he took. So, as he’s coming, I’m trying not to wig out while also working around these branches for a shot. As his head goes behind a split trunk tree, I get myself to a half draw as he’s about 15 yards out. As he steps out to the opening to my left and behind me, I completed my draw and his my anchor, making sure I hit both of my contact points for my anchor.

As I did this, the buck caught my movement and looked up at me. By the time he did this though, I had already let the arrow loose. I watched my arrow bury perfectly behind his shoulder and stop. The buck went crashing out of the woods, into the ag field he just came from, and back into the woods where I had just seen him come from and heard him crash. Although I heard him crash, I opted to back out and give him an hour. I came back with a buddy to help track, and we found him piled up just 30 yards into the thick stuff I had heard him run into.

What I thought had been a one hole only shot, ended up being a pass through, with the arrow not fully exiting the buck. This made for a great blood trail that was east to follow even in pitch dark. There was just a little bit of ground shrinkage when I walked up on him, and he isn’t the biggest buck I have ever killed, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was by far the most memorable and fulfilling one I have ever gotten. After hunting extremely hard for two straight weeks and being at my whits end, God was generous as always and blessed me with a beautiful buck and a lifelong story to tell.
    Attached Files

Awesome job, that really is a great achievement.

Comment

Congratulations again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

nice one. congrats

Comment

Great buck and awesome story to give with it! Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats, Made a perfect shot as well!

Comment

Great write up and Congrats on an amazing Buck!

Comment

Nice buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great deer and perfect shot. That doe was good practice

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice Write-up!
                        Congratulations

Comment

Congrats! Can’t wait for the day I finally take up trad

Comment

Congrats. Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X