Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take you to clean a deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field dress, in the field, about 3 minutes.
    Hang, weigh, skin, quarter, and on ice - about an hour plus change.

Comment

If my knife is sharp, I can knock out a doe and have her on ice in about 25 mins. I usually skin everyone's at camp because they are slow. I can skin & quarter 2-3 deer to their one. To be fair though, I hunt with a couple of old guys and they don't do anything fast lol.

Comment

It takes me too **** long. I guess I just need to take more deer.

Comment

If I am doing it with a freshly shot deer, I can knock it out pretty fast. We usually let ours hang when it’s cold enough (NW OK). Makes the skinning part much harder later on with a stiff, half froze deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Head neck separation

Leg removal.

Bring in the “my Wyoming saw is better” comments. Whatever a Wyoming saw is.
            Leg removal? Lol. You're kidding right?

Maybe you mean cutting the front legs off below the knee.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-17-2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
              Leg removal? Lol. You're kidding right?

Here we go. Please please Master Butcher Billy ...tell us how you do it the best and only way it can be done to be acceptable as a true Texan..

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                To cut through the ribs, pelvis in two areas, and to cut off the legs. If you use a butt out, then you don't need split the pelvis.
                Ah. A knife rips through the ribs easily if gutting.

We started cutting in to the joint at the pelvis years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Here we go. Please please Master Butcher Billy ...tell us how you do it the best and only way it can be done to be acceptable as a true Texan..
                  nah. More than one way to skin a deer. You're buddy made the derrigatory comment for no reason.

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-17-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Takes me about 15 to 20 min on a white tail if I'm not caping it . I skinned and quartered a cow Elk in the mountains by myself in 45 min ..

Comment

If it's a deer that's just going in the ice chest/cooler, it takes me about 30 minutes, from start to finish. There's no reason for me to gut a deer anymore, unless it's gonna be a couple of hours, before I can skin & quarter it.
                      If it's a mountable buck, I'll take a little more time/care skinning it, but it still won't take me more than 40 mins, tops.

Comment

Depends on how many beers I’ve had !
                        45 mins to 2 hrs.

Comment

40-45 minutes but usually doing a good bit of talking while I do it. Gutless method. I have an old handsaw I use to remove legs below knees.

Comment

Simple quarter, straps, and tenderloins? Probably 20ish mins once hanged.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              What do y'all use the Sawzall for?

Obviously assuming its for what I use my Wyoming saw for.

Seriously, you already know the answer...

I can separate the neck from the head and the legs at the elbow, as well as the rear quarters from the pelvic bone with a knife but why when I can saw them way faster.

It just easy to grab the cordless saw,
                              If I was packing out a deer then yes a knife makes more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

About 25 min before I start drinking...... & SH%T who knows how long after I start talking & drinking..... & when that starts my buddy's son usually pushes me out the way & takes over..... Gotta love that kid LMAO !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X