Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Sako Rifle identification

Hoping to get a few more eyes on this thread so I moved it over here

I just picked up this Sako in .300 H&H but I can’t find a model number or anything stamped on it. Just the caliber, serial number, looks to be the letter N, and made in Finland stamped on the barrel. It’s in pretty good condition, and it’s got some pretty wood.

Anyone got any experience identifying these old guns? Sakos have been historically tough to find the manufacturing date on.

There is a website called Sako Source. Guys name is Rodger 325-576-3581. Very knowledgeable and deals with lots of older ones.

Comment

Finnbear L61R ?

Comment

I would have thought a Finnbear, but the fore stock doesn’t look square enough. Then I thought maybe a Forrester, but it looks bigger than that. I have two 1971 Finnbears in .270 that were my dad and grandfathers and they also had a matched set of Forresters in .308 and .243. Either way, the older Sako rifles are something to treasure. All four of ours are still tack drivers and have had zero mods/work done to them minus cleaning. Neat gun you got for sure.

Comment

I believe it is an original Sako-Mauser produced before Sako started building their own actions in the L61R model in 61. The L61R should be stamped on the barrel or action if that’s what it was. Also this is stamped .300 H&H mag, instead of .300 magnum like some of the L61Rs I’ve seen from the time. Many of the Sako-Mauser rifles that were originally chambered in .300 H&H were rechambered to .300 WBY in the 60s.

Comment

My paw daddy’s old sako has the safety on left side of the bolt.

I was told that’s how you can tell if it is a sako- Mauser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No help...but a beautiful gun. I’m leaning more and more toward Sako. My 7MM mag is my go-to now for all hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X