Cactus Eradication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cactus Eradication

Does anyone know someone that hand sprays prickly pear cactus? I had a plane come in and spray a double dose last March and got about 10% kill. I can't remember what they sprayed but it was suppose too be the best for cactus. I don't mind paying for good results but don't think I will go the aerial spraying route again. Need about 100 acres sprayed.

No clue who does it in your area, but Surmont is what I use with a hand sprayer and get a 90% kill. Good luck. Spray both sides of the ears.

Comment

Depending what they used it could take up to 2 years to kill completely.
      It took about 6 months to kill the stuff I sprayed with surmount and sprayed heavy.

Comment

There's a chemical to mix with Surmount that helps the cactus soak in the poison. Supposedly helps kill them a lot faster/better.

Comment

there" a reason one of my places is called the P**che Cactus Ranch.

Comment

Surmount is what they sprayed a double dose of. Oaks too thick. It knocked the leaves off of them though, but I don't think it got very good coverage on the cactus IMO.

Comment

We've always used Surmount with good results.

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y0U8g0RQ1o"]New Tool in the Fight Against Prickly Pear - YouTube[/ame]

Never used it but ran across MezaVue researching removal options.

Comment

This is what an old man told me and he swore it was the only way to kill them. He said to spray them in the dark because at night the pores open up to let in moisture, and when the sun comes up they close to stop evaporation. I don't know if it is true or not but his place didn't have a cactus on it.

Comment

We too sprayed surmount. Some died in as little as 5-6 months. Some took almost 2 years. But I’d say 85-90% kill

Comment

Tordon 22k is bad medicine for pear.

Comment

Sumount & Tardon all require an applicators licenses to purchase them, which I don't have. This is why I need someone to spray for me.

Comment

Tordon 22k hammers them.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                            Tordon 22k hammers them.
                            Probably does but have to check out prices per plant. I'm a tight wad. LOL!!

Comment

Mezavue.

Comment

Working...
                              X