Adding pond structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding pond structure

Which structure is better to use. Natural trees or pvc Style brush?
    Also what are other things to add to be beneficial for the fish to add as structure.

PVC trees and Quikcrete in a plastic bucket will last a long time. Also anything concrete you can scrounge up especially culverts

Comment

Can’t go wrong with natural cover. Cedar lasts a long time.

Add shoreline cover- branches, gravel, small rock. It’s good for sunfish to have cover to spawn and protect fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My vote is natural, but cedar and mesquite is very plentiful in my area

Comment

I’ve heard that pouring buttermilk on synthetic stuff and letting it dry before submerging will make algae grow on it almost immediately.

Comment

I have no clue, but I will throw this out there. I went by a big tank a few days ago and they had put about ten round bales of hay in it. Left the wrap on. What does this help? Just curious. I'm guessing about 10 acres surface area.
            Last edited by doghouse; 10-09-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I’ve heard that pouring buttermilk on synthetic stuff and letting it dry before submerging will make algae grow on it almost immediately.

hmmmm, interesting.

Comment

Things I have done in my lake and tanks that hold fish.
                1. Rocks, placed in shallow water near the bank.
                2. Big oak logs rolled into 3 to 5 foot depth, oak logs sink.
                3. Cedar logs, drill holes in center and cable about 10 tightly together. Attach cable from middle log to bucket filled with concrete. Cable length should be the depth of water the structure will be positioned at. Cedar logs float, fish love to sit in the shade under the logs.
                4. Cedar logs again, take a chainsaw and cut a sharp point on the bottom and drive them into the bottom of the lake. The more the better. Looking for the shade effect.
                5. Cedar fence stays, use a bunch and drive them in the bottom with enough space between stays to run a spinnerbait through.

About to give up on the pvc structures I have built and bought. The porcupines never hold any fish and the 1/2 inch pvc shoved in buckets never hold fish either. Natural wood has proved to be the most consistent fish holding structure for me. Shade is a very important to have for fish to key on. My bigger bass tend to suspend in the deeper water, void of any structure.

Comment

Adding pond structure

If anyone needs assorted stone (like the kind you put on the front of your house) for tank structure or erosion control, I have all you can stand...but you have to haul it. I’ll load it in a dump truck/trailer. Or you can load all you can carry in your truck.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    I have no clue, but I will throw this out there. I went by a big tank a few days ago and they had put about ten round bales of hay in it. Left the wrap on. What does this help? Just curious. I'm guessing about 10 acres surface area.
                    Barley hay is what is really needed to benefit the water. Hay can help clear up stained water and control filamentous green algae. Its also benefits the production of plankton for fish fry.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      Barely hay inhibits algae growth
                      It's not an algae-cide but doesn't allow new algae to form

They probably were trying to clear their water

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                        Barely hay inhibits algae growth
                        It's not an algae-cide but doesn't allow new algae to form

They probably were trying to clear their water
                        I'm guessing these were from Coastal are something similar. Who knows.

Comment

We've always used natural in our pond. I just freshen up the spots as needed. Earlier this year I made a few PVC trees in 5 gallon buckets, 9 feet tall or so, as well as using a cinderblock and cutting pieces of plumbing tubing to stick out if it.

The natural cover is shallow and always filled with fish and you can see bass around the edges all the time. Not sure how the pvc stuff is doing. May take my scuba gear in there and poke around next spring.

Comment

Christmas trees. About dec 26 th you can get all you want for free

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Christmas trees. About dec 26 th you can get all you want for free
                              This...hauled 2 truck loads to my tank last year. Just none of the flocked tress

Comment

Working...
                              X