Dos and Don'ts of Barndos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dos and Don'ts of Barndos

I'm about to embark in a barndo adventure, and I'm looking for some advice. Really any and all advice is welcome. I did a search for a thread like this, but the only ones I found were direct questions. I just want to know where you'd go different if you did it again.

Here is our plan. 60' x 40' x 14' building.(Plus or minus 10'). Going for 3 beds 2 1/2 baths. We might add in an office/play room for the kids. We're trying to keep it less than 150K, which I understand will require doing some of the stuff ourselves or putting off some things. We're just going to seal the concrete, and plan on doing the few jobs we can do ourselves. If we start to get close to our budget mark I'll probably leave some stuff unfinished, so I'm concentrating on the kitchen area first and the master bed/bath second.

So what some ideas, or general dos and don'ts for this process. We're going to get some floor plans figured up in the next couple weeks, and its a 12 week process from there so we have some time!

do- sprayfoam insulation

Comment

I don't have anything to offer, but in for ideas

Comment

Run your media wiring now, not after you build the **** thing .
        People always seem to forget that one. They want speakers, TVs, internet, etc..and they have no stubouts, or panel for any of it.

Comment

Master bed on the 1st floor! i aint into climbing stairs anymore...

Comment

Ours is a 60X 40 living area plus 8 foot porches front and back. Love ours. With the spray foam insulation we have not had an electric bill over $200 yet and everything in this place is electric other that the cook top. I also work from home so I am always here. The only thing I might change on ours would be more pitch to the roof. Only because the attic is unbelievable storage. Ours is only 6 foot of so in the middle. If you have any questions just ask and I will try to answer them. We did a lot of the work ourselves as well.

-john

Comment

Bigger porch than and shop than you think you need.

And definitely go spray foam

Comment

Spray foam
                All windows under awning.
                at least 10' porch
                LOVE my safe-room.
                Good exterior doors and windows
                gas fireplace
                coffee bar
                windows in shop area
                Generator hookup
                Plan how the main fuse box is wired so you can have all required stuff on same pole.
                Last edited by BrianL; 08-26-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

We did (or should I say "tried to do") stained concrete.

LET A PRO DO IT!

Our contractor had done a couple 10-15 yrs ago. Well, things must've changed cause ours was/is a disaster!

Ended up having to cover it w an epoxy type paint that is nearly completely scratched up in 4 mos.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post

LET A PRO DO IT!

Our contractor had done a couple 10-15 yrs ago. Well, things must've changed cause ours was/is a disaster!

Ended up having to cover it w an epoxy type paint that is nearly completely scratched up in 4 mos.
                    I did mine and they came out really nice, but it is A LOT of work.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post

LET A PRO DO IT!

Ouch!

Sounds like its tile time.

Comment

Definite do is spray foam

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Go with a 16’ eave height. In my shop I have an apartment with a 9’ ceiling on the bottom floor and have space for more rooms above.

Plan the access to the air handler so when the time comes maintenance is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              Run your media wiring now, not after you build the **** thing .
                              People always seem to forget that one. They want speakers, TVs, internet, etc..and they have no stubouts, or panel for any of it.
                              Everything is wireless now

Comment

Working...
                              X