Securing a Ladder Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing a Ladder Stand

I put up a ladder stand this weekend. I secured the bottom portion by putting a ratchet strap around the tree, hooking the hooks to the ladder and tightening. But when I tried to climb up to do the same thing around the seat I just did not feel comfortable climbing up. How can I secure the ladder so that I can climb up and secure the top?

Climb up the back side of the tree using a climber or extension ladder. Easy peasy

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
      I put up a ladder stand this weekend. I secured the bottom portion by putting a ratchet strap around the tree, hooking the hooks to the ladder and tightening. But when I tried to climb up to do the same thing around the seat I just did not feel comfortable climbing up. How can I secure the ladder so that I can climb up and secure the top?
      Does the ladder have a place to strap the verticle posts around the tree and back to the opposite side of the ladder? Most newer ladder stands tie off somewhere to help stabilize and prevent the ladder from wanting to buckle and fall away from the tree.

If there is no place, just tie near one of the rungs down in the bottom third of the ladder. Bring it around the tree and tie it as high up the ladder and as tight as possible. Ratchet strap is fine right here as well.

Then do the same for the opposite side of the ladder. Start low, wrap around tree, and tie off high on the opposite side. Basically make an X with the straps.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
        Does the ladder have a place to strap the verticle posts around the tree and back to the opposite side of the ladder? Most newer ladder stands tie off somewhere to help stabilize and prevent the ladder from wanting to buckle and fall away from the tree.

If there is no place, just tie near one of the rungs down in the bottom third of the ladder. Bring it around the tree and tie it as high up the ladder and as tight as possible. Ratchet strap is fine right here as well.

Then do the same for the opposite side of the ladder. Start low, wrap around tree, and tie off high on the opposite side. Basically make an X with the straps.
        I have seen ladder stands that have straps that run from the top down, cross behind the tree and are tied at the bottom but this one does not have those straps.

Comment

I have seen ladder stands that have straps that run from the top down, cross behind the tree and are tied at the bottom but this one does not have those straps.
          You can use just about anything. Piece of rope would help, or spare 1" ratchet straps would do just fine. I prefer the ratchet straps on my ladders because i get them much tighter that just pulling a rope and hand tieing.I'm a big ole boy. 6'2" 270 lbs. It hurts to hit the ground from any height. Tie off the ladder and it shouldnt go anywhere. Or like posted above, if you can climb the tree another way or use another ladder instead of climbing the stand, then you could strap the top seat strap.

I might just start buying the Xstand. They are expensive for ladders, but have the claw that grabs the tree when it butts up against it.

Comment

Note also that most ladder stand owners manual/directions state 3 people for setup.

Comment

Just get some 15' ratchet straps, hang them on the stand frame at floor level, raise and set your stand, cross the straps behind the tree, hook the straps about chest high to the ladder steps, and tighten. You should also have a horizontal, adjustable support that goes straight to the tree that uses a short strap for a third contact. Install that, then strap the platform to the tree. I usually use two straps at the platform, one at floor level, and one at seat level. After that, it ain't moving. I weigh 300 pounds and they don't move with me if they're strapped like this.

Comment

The best way is to secure two straps to the top of the stand( seat area) , lean the stand against the tree how you want it with the straps hanging down. Then cross the straps behind the tree and secure them to the stand towards the bottom. That way you're secure at the top and bottom as you climb up the stand to secure it with additional straps. OH YA, when you're moving or taking the stand down the "crossed" straps will be the last ones to take down. Made that mistake before the beginning of this last season and swaying 20 feet off the ground holding on with nothing but your fingernails is NOT the way you wanna be remembered. Been a looooong time since I been that sceeered.

Comment

If you're not using a horizontal brace to secure the stand to the tree, you're asking for trouble. Ladder stands are by far my favorite stands to set and hunt from, but I would never attempt to set one up without the horizontal support that's included with every ladder stand you buy. Once you attach it to the tree, it keeps the stand from bowing inward toward the tree when you climb up. It also keeps the stand from falling away from the tree as you climb up. The trickiest part is getting up past the horizontal support, as the stand will sometimes still want to sway back away from the tree if you don't keep your weight forward toward the ladder the last five or six feet to the seat. Ladder stands are very easy to set up once you get the hang of it, but I've still had a few that were a little puckering up at the top until that top ratchet is secured.

Comment

Wear a safety system even when you are putting one up or taking it down!

Comment

No reason to attempt to put one up by yourself. Always have 1 or 2 people there for help. 2 guys to hold the stand while 1 guy climbs up.

My grandfather broke his back while taking down a two man ladder by himself. As soon as he unbuckled the top straps the ladder buckled and came crashing to the ground. He landed on the shooting rail and has had nothing but problems since that day. Be careful and have people help.

Comment

Look at 'X-stand' configurations for their ladders and locking systems, I have invested in a couple and its been well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by let-um-grow View Post
                          Look at 'X-stand' configurations for their ladders and locking systems, I have invested in a couple and its been well worth it.
                          This. I have one of these and it made me feel better on setting it up.

Comment

Once you figure it out, add a chain around the tree to secure the ladder stand. When the straps break with age, it's quite the rodeo riding a ladder stand to the ground!

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but I’ve always have trouble leveling the seat out once it’s leaned against the tree. Seems like it’s always leaning backward or forward too far and makes it very uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X