Which Wheelgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Wheelgun

Looking at a Ruger Redhawk .45, Redhawk.357, or GP100 10mm. It will be carried for hunting, home defense, in the truck, etc.

What does the GS say, and why?

If it will be used for hunting and self defense the full length underlug will make it balance better. That would be my choice. Of course the RedHawks are just plain ole ugly.

Comment

S&W model 29 4" is my choice, tough as nails and smooth trigger. You have the option of 180 grain to 320 grain, and velocities from 900fps to 1500 fps. To me it is a do all handgun.

Comment

Love the GP100 in .357 however not a fan of the moon clips for the 10mm
        The Redhawks are ugly so that being said go with the GP100

Comment

I'd say the Redhawks or gp100 in .357

Comment

357 good for home defense and truck gun. Maybe a little light for hunting but it’ll work. Ammo cost and availability are a lot better than the other 2.

Comment

Do you reload?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
                Do you reload?
                Yes. I haven’t fired a factory centerfire round in IDK how long. At this point I’m leaning towards the 45 or 357. The question is 6 rounds or 8?

Comment

Of the ones you mention, the 10mm is a nonstarter because of the full moon clips. The .357 is a little light for hunting with modern loadings.

The Redhawk .45 would be my choice. For plinking and home defense you can use .45acp, for hunting the .45 Colt can be loaded up to .44 Mag power levels in the Redhawk.

Comment

spend the extra $$$$ on a good clean older S&W 6 shooter & avoid the depreciation down the road.

Comment

I actually like the moon clip set-up. Ejects as a unit and just pop the new loaded moon clip in and you are ready to rock. For reloading the gun in a hurry, moon clips are just plain hard to beat.

Comment

Either the 45 redhawk, or a 627 in 357, but i lean to the 45 redhawk for the same reasons as Mr. Fields

Comment

.357 mag all day. If you can find a 627 in .357, yo'll never regret it.

Comment

I sure wish they would make a SS Redhawk run in .41 Mag with the 5.5" barrel again.

Comment

I have the S&W 629 classic, picked it up off gunbroker for under 600 bucks it’s a .44 mag.. IMO those guns are tough to beat, I’m sure the 686 is awesome as well, that’s the .357 version. I went .44 mag cause I simply wanted a big caliber. It kicks but not much worse than my dads ruger Blackhawk .357 mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X