Size or number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size or number?

The wife and I are down here in Brownwood hunting wit T4 Exotics (review coming soon) and it had me thinking. I've spent more hours in the stands in Grayson and Cooke counties that id care to admit. Now that I've hunted in the sw a couple times and seen lots of numbers every sit, it's got me pondering which I enjoy more. Twice the size, but half the number or half the size, but double the number.

What do YOU prefer?

I did the "near DFW lease" and didn't see a deer in 42 hunts although there were some monsters on camera. Never again!

I prefer to see deer when I hunt. I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy shooting them so I may be different than most. I like the numbers with a chance at decent sized deer opportunities. I don't have to see a monster to have a good hunt nor do I get too hung up on "score" like some. I'd just like a shot or two at a decent deer sometime during the season. But for the most part I enjoy the sitting out in nature watching them and relaxing. Luckily I have that at my current place.
    Last edited by Smart; 12-18-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I did the "near DFW lease" and didn't see a deer in 42 hunts although there were some monsters on camera. Never again!

I prefer to see deer when I hunt. I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy shooting them so I may be different than most. I like the numbers with a chance at decent sized deer opportunities. I don't have to see a monster to have a good hunt nor do I get too hung up on "score" like some. I'd just like a shot or two at a decent deer sometime during the season. But for the most part I enjoy sitting out in nature watching them and relaxing. Luckily I have that at my current place.

Same for me. Not seeing anything for long periods gets OLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I prefer to see deer when I hunt. I enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy shooting them so I may be different than most. I like the numbers with a chance at decent sized deer opportunities. I don't have to see a monster to have a good hunt nor do I get too hung up on "score" like some. I'd just like a shot or two at a decent deer sometime during the season. But for the most part I enjoy the sitting out in nature watching them and relaxing. Luckily I have that at my current place.
        I absolutely agree.

Comment

I have gone back and forth on this issue. I no longer have a lease so that is that. I grew up hunting in the hill country and would fill my tags every year. I don't think I ever killed a very big deer but saw tons. As I got older I wanted to hunt bigger deer and moved up to the panhandle. Like Smart said, I always had good deer on camera but killed very few. I could go days without seeing deer but knowing big boy could come out any time was exciting. Now that I am even older I just like to hunt and like seeing game. It's like hunting out west. You can go to a trophy unit and not see much but when you do its a hoss or go to a unit where you see lots of game and know the top end is not very high. So I guess I like more of a happy medium if there is such a thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Diddo!

It’s awesome seeing anything out of the norm while out. But being able to see a few on a sit in a stand makes for better a better experience. Especially when they aren’t as plentiful as some areas. Also helps to keep one alert for when a shooter comes by.

J

Comment

Quantity over quality. I’ve hunted east Tx and The hill country. East Tx makes you almost want to give up sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Quantity

Comment

Quality

Comment

Quality for sure.

Comment

Again, finding myself getting up and about to head to the stand. The place we're on is low fence and everybody in the part of the state hunts and has feeders up, but I know I'm going to see some deer. Having this confidence is motivating.

Just got thru raining and feeder spins at 0700, so time to let the savage ring out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll take quantity as well. Nothing worse than sitting all weekend, weekend after weekend, and maybe seeing 1/2 deer way off in the distance. If I was lucky...

But cost comes into play fo us po folk.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                          I'll take quantity as well. Nothing worse than sitting all weekend, weekend after weekend, and maybe seeing 1/2 deer way off in the distance. If I was lucky...

But cost comes into play fo us po folk.
                          Yeah I hate when that happens, I prefer my deer to be whole.

Comment

This ^^^^^

Comment

This year I've enjoyed watching the deer interact and seeing other critters. In the past I processed deer in Mason and had little time to spend in the stand. Also bow hunting forced me to be patient. I have a few East Texas trophy deer so size isn't very important to me. So quantity now as a teen it was quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X