Drawn for Richland Creek WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
    Was checked by Game Warden Sunday on my way back to truck. He was posted on gravel road watching me with binoculars and met me half way to truck. Super nice guy. Said he was having a hard time finding duck hunters to check so he wanted to see what I was doing in the woods.

We discussed the hunt and he asked questions about what I was doing as we had spoken on opening morning of Teal season on my way in and he had seen my truck every weekend since.

He checked my license and asked if I had my hunter education card. Told me to remind everyone hunting to have access to the Hunter Ed cert. They can look it up on their phone, but if his phone and your phone don't have good service and it cannot be pulled up, they will write you a ticket. He suggested, if you don't have a physical card, to save the PDF off of TPWD website onto your phone.

Great conversation and very professional. Stopped and talked with Biologist and 2 more GWs on my way out of area.

Opening day of early season Teal, there were 10 GW's checking guys. Now granted, there were also 50+ trucks of hunters onsite. Each day I have been there scouting, no less than 3 GW's were driving around watching and checking.

Items needed:
    ID
    Hunting License
    Archery endorsement
    APH permit
    E-Postcard selection (I'm not too sure about this one)
    Hunter Ed Cert
    Yeah they will get you out there for not having a LPU or APH permit. 10 game wardens? I have a hard time believing that.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
      OKAY, got a question for anyone that has done this hunt recently.
      Is an APH Permit required for the drawn hunt at the South Unit?
      I know that permit is required for the EPostcard hunt at the North Unit, this year. But I called someone here at the RC Office, this afternoon and was told that I must have that APH Permit. I am gonna be hunting the SOUTH Unit for the 3 day hunt beginning October 21st. The hunt brochure that can be downloaded, at the application process, mentions nothing about an APH permit being required.
      I called TPWD in Austin and explained to that person which hunt I was drawn for, and when I would be hunting, and she stated that the APH permit is not required, for this hunt.
      I just don't want to get down there and be "surprised". Also, as I do not typically use public hunting properties (in general), I see no need to buy an APH permit, unless it is going to be required.
      If you want to scout before the hunt you need at least the cheaper LPU permit, APH would suffice too, but I think the south unit is closed anyway now and stays closed all deer season except for the draw hunt. You don't need the APH permit for the 5 days of the south unit hunt, your draw ticket is your permit for those 5 days.
      Last edited by bossbowman; 10-02-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Loaded and ready to rock! Driving up tonight to glass at dusk.

1 run-n-bow setup
        ---lone wolf attached to my Osprey hiking backpack, works really well for transport and doubles as my backpack for tree.
        1 climber
        1 pop up
        3 coolers
        1 bow
        6 arrows
        2 releases
        Scent lok getup
        Homemade activated carbon totes
        Homemade scent away spray

1 prayer for safe weekend

And a whole bunch of adrenaline!

After one of these dudes!
        Attached Files

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Good luck, looks like you really have done some legit homework...

Comment

Hell yeah buddy.... you put the work in. Hope it pays off. My hunts in the South Unit but thanks for all the tips anyway s. Keep us posted. GL

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                Granger deer are much bigger than these guys...

Time stamp on this one is correct, just pulled cards yesterday.
                I'll give everyone some dead deer pictures this weekend.
                So wheres all the dead deer pics?

Comment

Negative red rider. Friday eve I shot a huge hog at 3pm he ran off with $20 bill sticking out of his shoulder. I had a doe and fawn followed by a buck come down a trail. They took a different split which put them right past the base of my tree. I passed on the doe due to her having a fawn. When buck past I mouth bloated, which must have been too loud, because he took 4 fast steps instead of stopping. What should have been a 3yd shot turned into a 12yd shot but I didn't see the limb between us which deflect my arrow low and under him.

Sat AM came with swarms of mosquitoes, no joke! I couldn't here myself think. Sawyers Permithrin didn't phase them as they bit my face through mask which I sprayed the night before. As of 830am nothing so I decide to rattle for 10 minutes. 902 a nice shooter clydesdale horse walks 60yds out. Looking for the other bucks. He walks back and forth a couples times, I grunt, he turns and looks, but keeps on doing the stuff man show for 5 minutes before disappearing.

Saturday evening I had a brain fart and entered area from different direction and end up kicking a bunch of deer out of beds. I walked almost back to my previous day set but 100yds away. ****** off and dripping with sweat I pick a tree out of frustration and climb. 630pm a small 8 comes out of weeds 40yds, no shot, then proceeded to spark with another small 8 for 10min. After play time they are joined by 4 more does then feed past me at 60yds.

Sunday AM I hunt same tree. 830 a doe and fawn walk by but doe spots me and decides to side jump 4 steps into thick stuff then continue on same trajectory. They stop 50yds out and stare due South. A shooter buck is walking thicket edge making scrapes every 20ft. I grunt, snort wheeze, bleat, and rattle, no change. He looks, shrugs his shoulders, flips me the bird and keeps walking.

I saw a bunch of deer and met a couple cool cats. Cannot wait till this weekend to see if my strategy changes pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    So wheres all the dead deer pics?

Don't you know posting pictures on public forum is frowned upon? Someone may call the WMA and whine about it.

Comment

Looks like I'm good at finding deer but not so good at closing the deal. Long week at work this past week. Daylight to dark Monday through Thursday trying to get our warhead test detonated. Fridays cold front screwed us with low temps, high winds and lightning. Test was cancelled and I left Burnet at 2:30pm hauling butt trying to get an evening sit in.

Due to time of arrival I elected not to try and hunt my normal spot knowing that I couldn't get in without spooking deer. I was going to park short and try spot and stalk...what was I thinking? Dumbest idea ever. I went to a spot that a trail could be seen via arial scouting.

I set myself up from the moment I decided to go with this plan. Worried about time I didn't not change clothes. The headcover that was picked out was exchanged for a full face and I left the GoPro on the seat. Off I went. Work boots, dirty brown 5.11 work pants, and dark grey frog togg top.

Hiding in the grass, 2 does walk out from trail I picked out. They scent check but seem nervous. Rightfully so as I was upwind. As they turn and head North, I couldn't get down fast enough and they knew I wasn't right. They bound off. Agitated at myself I decide to play the wind. Walk to trail end and stand downwind against some high weeds. Literally standing there 30 seconds and I hear another deer coming. Looking through weeds all I can see are antlers. I draw.
                      The massive buck exits trail 10yds upwind and checks landscape. I can see my peep and pins but cannot find the deer. Adjusting my focus I see that the facemask has pulled my eye glasses off my nose. Just enough that I am looking through my bridge and everything is blurry. I try to reposition my head to see, but move too much. The buck turns to see me. The blows, jumps, turns and runs in one single motion. My 1 chance for a miraculous impromptu hunt blown by the lack of patience.

Saturday morning comes with very cold temps and 2 coyotes patrolling my hunting area. No deer seen. Afternoon I pull camera cards and fix my cell cam which had lost modem connection 2 weeks ago. Saturday evening I once again change my plan and do not hunt on my gut instinct. Instead I setup 30yds further in. A 4ptr walks by at 430 seaming very nervous. 630 a group of 6 does come and mill around where I was going to hang my stand. They were shortly joined by 4 more downs and all hang around until dark. No shot.

Sunday comes with me oversleeping by an hour, ugh! 3 does and another basketrack go to same spot as does from last night, they also seem nervous. 930 another group of does are headed straight for me. 30yds out in thick they deviate and proceed on a trail split. Hoky heck. Maybe next weekend.

1st picture below of buck that got away because of my glasses. 2nd and 3rd pictures are other that are hanging around the area.

Not bad for Public Land
                      Richland Creek WMA North
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff man. Liking the updates. Keep at it. Have you considered a pop up. To help with scent concealment?

Comment

I placed a popup last week for when I bring my boy this next weekend. We should be able to fill my tags then.

Comment

https://youtu.be/xi6goPcrIWs

Comment

Last edited by TN_boy; 10-13-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

JUST AN FYI, regarding the archery hunt, next week. We (my brothers and I) had originally planned on camping at the WMA. However, there is no water and electricity available at the campsites. Also, there is a chance of rain in the forecast, next week. We found a place around the corner (2.1 miles) called Fisherman's Point Marina. They have cabins with showers, etc. available for $92 dollars/night. They have a lot of good reviews, online. The staff at the WMA said they've heard good things about them and several hunters have stayed there, over the years. I made a reservation for us. The lady said they still have several cabins available for next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X