Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
    Start doing jumping jacks in camo in a tree with a deer within sight inside 100 yards and see if the deer sticks around.
    I’ll pass I’m too fat for jumping jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Apples to oranges. LR hunting is legal. There’s a lot of folks here that zero business bowhunting at all. At any range. And there’s guys here that can throw down groups at 800+ yards with a rifle than 99% can with a bow at 20. This thread topic amongst others is what made a lot of very good members leave TBH or go quiet. The elitist attitude. I bow hunt. But I’m a bow hunter for 1 month out of the year to hunt earlier. Does it make me bad that I prefer a rifle? No. I can shoot better than most. But I can’t shoot my bow real far anymore. Still smoked a monster. Let folks do their thing. If it’s legal then rock on.
      It’s a hunting forum. Hunters should be able to talk about topics such as this without getting bent out of shape. If your standard is if it’s legal then rock on then rock on and ignore the discussion. If others want to discuss what they feel is appropriate then what is the harm in that?

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
        It’s a hunting forum. Hunters should be able to talk about topics such as this without getting bent out of shape. If your standard is if it’s legal then rock on then rock on and ignore the discussion. If others want to discuss what they feel is appropriate then what is the harm in that?
        Lol. Apparently you haven’t seen how they all turn out. Huge assumptions. Name calling. Judgments. But go ahead. I shouldn’t have posted on it anyway.

Comment

I’m just going to throw this out there as an offering to the members here. I have a 1000yd range at my home. I have steel set up out to 1000yds. Anyone that would like to try their hand at long range shooting, I’d be happy to help you. You are welcome to shoot my rifles and ammo. I’ll be happy to teach you what to do and also why you are doing it. I guarantee you (unless you shake uncontrollably for some medical reason) that I can have you hitting a 12” plate at 1000yds within just a short time.

***Be warned, it’s very addictive and can be extremely hard on your wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Lol. Apparently you haven’t seen how they all turn out. Huge assumptions. Name calling. Judgments. But go ahead. I shouldn’t have posted on it anyway.
            Oh I notice but still think it’s unfortunate. Hunters should be able to have a discussion without being an *** about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
              I’m just going to throw this out there as an offering to the members here. I have a 1000yd range at my home. I have steel set up out to 1000yds. Anyone that would like to try their hand at long range shooting, I’d be happy to help you. You are welcome to shoot my rifles and ammo. I’ll be happy to teach you what to do and also why you are doing it. I guarantee you (unless you shake uncontrollably for some medical reason) that I can have you hitting a 12” plate at 1000yds within just a short time.

***Be warned, it’s very addictive and can be extremely hard on your wallet.
              Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                Where are you located?
                Just east of Ardmore, OK. Just across the OK/TX border.

Comment

That’s a ways for me, I’m at the southern tip of Texas. Maybe one day I can head that way. I plan on taking a long range class soon. I was thinking Rifles Only in Kingsville.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                    That’s a ways for me, I’m at the southern tip of Texas. Maybe one day I can head that way. I plan on taking a long range class soon. I was thinking Rifles Only in Kingsville.
                    Jacob and his wife are some of the best people on this earth. Rifles Only is a unique place to shoot. Especially when you see where his house is located in correlation with the range and some directions you shoot. You’ll love the Mouse Trap.

Comment

Just east of Ardmore, OK. Just across the OK/TX border.
                      Wait a minute... you is from Oklahoma. Now dont that just put a dent in Tom Landry's Fedora

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Wait a minute... you is from Oklahoma. Now dont that just put a dent in Tom Landry's Fedora
                        I was **** close to being born in south Texas. If mom had waited just a little longer before she decided to divorce my dad, I’d have received the blessing. Unfortunately, I was spit out here in Oklahoma, just across the border. Cursed for life......

Comment

Since this is “my thing”, I’ll bite.
                          I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
                          Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.

OUTstanding....

My personal limit is 450 yards, and that's only in ideal conditions. Could I kill a deer at longer distances? Yes, I've done it out to 525 yards, but, I wouldn't do it again. My personal comfort zone is out to 350 as I'm 100% confident I'll hit what I aim at given a solid rest.

I know guys that are HIGHLY qualified at FAR longer distances and I see nothing wrong with them taking a shot within their highly trained ability.

Also, from years of observation, the average guy should think twice beyond 150 yards. I couldn't begin to count how many blood trails I've helped follow from shots taken by guys who simply can't shoot. Not because they couldn't, but, because they couldn't care less about preparing properly.

Comment

I feel like the odd man out in this conversation but here it goes.

I have and shoot LR rifles. 50 BMG, 338 Lapua, various 30's, 7mm's, 6.5's yadda yadda. Have shot competitive F class in both F Open and F-T/R. I also enjoy shooting steel and have it out to 800yds three steps from my gun/machining room. With that said I have no desire to poke game at long distances with any rifle. I'll shoot out to 2-300 yards on hogs and that's about it. I also like shooting subs for culling and that's a 100 yards or less. Last count I handload for 45 different cartridges. I have burnt alot of powder and sent 10's of thousands of bullets down range over the years.

With that said I much prefer to use a bow and keep shots about 25 yards or less. It's something about getting up close and personal that I like instead of being a 1/2 mile or more away shooting a rifle capable of extreme accuracy and power at an animal that can not see, hear or smell you.

I respect that this a bowhunting site and not a LR Rifle/hunting site. I don't talk much firearm stuff here for that reason.

Just stating my preferences, your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                              So let me ask you this - if someone else's actions affects you or your family will you judge that? A person you do not know expresses their "free will" by breaking into your home and stealing or does something to one of your family members is that free will still ok with you?

Free will is awesome if it is not abused. Even living in a free country has limits and boundaries. If not you have chaos.

Freedom is special - many have died for it. But that does NOT mean it gives you (or me) the right to adversely affect others does it? So there should be a balance -

You’re talking in circles now. I said “without affecting another” and you asked what about the animal. I clarified and now you’re back to someone affecting my family. If you haven’t gotten my point maybe I haven’t communicated effectively. I’m not interested in an argument just for the sake of it.
                              For the record the guidance I follow is not to judge (period). God doesn’t say it’s OK to judge if my family is affected or if I don’t like it or because someone else did first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudbug View Post
                                Some people can make ethical kills at 900 yards time and time again with a rifle and then there are people who can make 50-yard ethical kills time and time again with a bow just because some people can't do it doesn't mean they have to hate everybody who can I can't make either one ethically but I have seen it done time and time again some people are just better than others don't hate
                                I think some of it that grates on me is that many of these long-shot enthusiasts need to inform all of us that they made a shot at so-and-so outrageous distance, "look, see what I did!". I don't think I've EVER made a kill and then when someone asks me about it, I pipe up and blurt out that "I shot this buck at whatever yards!" ... is just bad taste to me.
                                Even if I could make a shot time and again at extreme distances, I prefer to get closer and/or let it pass till the next opportunity. Again, that's just me because I pride my stalking skills much more than just my ability at taking a wild shot into nowhere land.

Comment

Working...
                                X