Training A Blue Lacy For Blood Tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training A Blue Lacy For Blood Tracking

I made this video back in the spring but figured I would share it now since hunting season has started. In no dog trainer but I enjoy learning and working with our Lacy.
    Constructive criticism is welcome..

Weird, I actually watched your video last week. I am on my 2nd tracking dog which is a teckel. But, that track looks way to easy for your pup. How much blood are you using on your tracks? Are you dragging the head or hide with blood on it?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      Weird, I actually watched your video last week. I am on my 2nd tracking dog which is a teckel. But, that track looks way to easy for your pup. How much blood are you using on your tracks? Are you dragging the head or hide with blood on it?
      Yep it is childs play for her on our small piece of land! I really need to work her on a larger property and get her on a real animal!
      Im not doing any dragging just making a blood trail with a water bottle that's about half full of blood. We just squirt it on the ground to mimmick a deer that's bleeding.

Comment

Great next step would be to get some hide/leg and maybe a little blood on it and work the lacy on it. Alot of times there is little to no blood. Before my last dog got ran over, I had him working on strictly hoof prints with no blood. They end up smelling more than just the blood that comes off a deer. I am no pro just from my little experience and learning from others. There is a trainer in Louisiana that told me that training a dog with blood will ruin the dog. He said we are tracking a specific deer when most of the time there is no blood. But, I am using liver drags now for my dog. Last week started on hide only.

Comment

ive actually ziptied a bottle with blood (small hole in lid like yours) to a fresh leg, and dragged it for a while. I believe an injured deer produces different scents and a dog an pick up the difference. bottle tied to it makes for very sporadic trails and the dog can keep on the leg scent if blood were to end.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
            Great next step would be to get some hide/leg and maybe a little blood on it and work the lacy on it. Alot of times there is little to no blood. Before my last dog got ran over, I had him working on strictly hoof prints with no blood. They end up smelling more than just the blood that comes off a deer. I am no pro just from my little experience and learning from others. There is a trainer in Louisiana that told me that training a dog with blood will ruin the dog. He said we are tracking a specific deer when most of the time there is no blood. But, I am using liver drags now for my dog. Last week started on hide only.
            It makes sense that if all they practice on is blood they would be handicapped on a real deer that's not bleeding. Thanks for the info! I will be saving my deer legs and hides this year!

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
              ive actually ziptied a bottle with blood (small hole in lid like yours) to a fresh leg, and dragged it for a while. I believe an injured deer produces different scents and a dog an pick up the difference. bottle tied to it makes for very sporadic trails and the dog can keep on the leg scent if blood were to end.
              I'm gonna try this

Comment

I ran her this past weekend with no blood trail and she did great. I just hid a piece of venison and she had to use the wind to find it and it took her less than a minute to find it.

Comment

Nice. I'm about to begin with a Catahoula. Looking for ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Djhester View Post
                    Thanks! Please subscribe I have a few more videos in the works!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Djhester View Post
                      Catahoula doesn’t really need blood. Mine goes bonkers for raw meat so the blood is just a bonus. We load up on feet at my local processor, elk, deer, hog whatever. It’s all fun for us. At the end of the day it’s just a game of “find it”. It’s getting them on the specific the animal I think at that time and doing your best to leave your scent out of it when you lay a track. Throw in a 90 degree turn somewhere and watch for when that nose goes in the air. Mines a house dog so I gotta stay behind him about 40-50 yards or he’ll come back and ‘check in’ usually and then get back after it. You may want to just stick to deer feet so he doesn’t go trash’n on a hog, lol. Catahoula are fun as hell, I love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Seatruckn View Post
                        Catahoula doesn’t really need blood. Mine goes bonkers for raw meat so the blood is just a bonus. We load up on feet at my local processor, elk, deer, hog whatever. It’s all fun for us. At the end of the day it’s just a game of “find it”. It’s getting them on the specific the animal I think at that time and doing your best to leave your scent out of it when you lay a track. Throw in a 90 degree turn somewhere and watch for when that nose goes in the air. Mines a house dog so I gotta stay behind him about 40-50 yards or he’ll come back and ‘check in’ usually and then get back after it. You may want to just stick to deer feet so he doesn’t go trash’n on a hog, lol. Catahoula are fun as hell, I love mine.
                        Do you use the feet but no blood?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X