Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
    IMO I don't think that would be apples-to-apples.
    Now something like 35yds bow to 300yds rifle would be more comparable.
    35 & 300 yards both seem just outside of average limits.
    Obviously everyone's limitations are different though so it's hard to say.
    The reason I think it is comparable because most all long range hunters have the equipment and practice at that range. The average rifle shooting 1000 yards would be more like the average bow shooting 100 yards. Kentucky windage doesn't really work in those cases

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
      No one has answered the “why”? Because I can? Ego driven? What are the ramifications of being off by 3 mph on a crosswind estimation when shooting 800+ yards?
      Depends... assume elevation is 1200, temp is 50, humidity is 70, pressure is 30,
      With a 6.5cm 143gr ELDX at 800 a 3MPH crosswind difference from 5MPH to 8MPH is .46 MRAD.... or 13.2 inches.

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      The reason I think it is comparable because most all long range hunters have the equipment and practice at that range. The average rifle shooting 1000 yards would be more like the average bow shooting 100 yards. Kentucky windage doesn't really work in those cases
      I don't think I follow...I don't understand how 35 yards with a bow(a distance fairly easy for a novice to attain an somewhat acceptable grouping (myself included lol) is equal to 900 yards with a rifle which is a much more difficult task. A similar skill level distance would have to be much close to 35/300.
      Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-10-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I don't think I follow...I don't understand how 35 yards with a bow(a distance fairly easy for a novice to attain an somewhat acceptable grouping (myself included lol) is equal to 900 yards with a rifle which is a much more difficult task. A similar skill level distance would have to be much close to 35/300.[/QUOTE]

It's all about the proper equipment for a given range. The shot isn't as hard as the wind, distance, and bullet drop. But those all come into play with a bow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
          It's all about the proper equipment for a given range. The shot isn't as hard as the wind, distance, and bullet drop. But those all come into play with a bow as well.

I shoot LR and shoot bows, and IMO 35 yards and 900 yards are nowhere near the same level of difficulty.

Comment

I shoot LR and shoot bows, and IMO 35 yards and 900 yards are nowhere near the same level of difficulty.

Exactly it would be more like 100 yards and 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Exactly it would be more like 100 yards and 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              100% dependent on the person. For me I’ll put money on the 1000 yd shot all day. I wouldn’t even think about it at 35 much less 100. As long as the person has the capabilities I don’t think any of the shots are beyond ethical. A good buddy of mine shot an Ibex at 96 yds with a bow in the Florida Mountains of NM 2-3 years back. Guarantee he’d gladly and easily make that shot at 1000 as well. I’m pretty sure Trevor knows him as well.

Comment

You fellers that are comparing apples to apples on that long range shot with a bow and rifle are not playing the game fair.

A bow is shot offhand, so must the rifle. A bow has open pin sights, so should the rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  You fellers that are comparing apples to apples on that long range shot with a bow and rifle are not playing the game fair.

A bow is shot offhand, so must the rifle. A bow has open pin sights, so should the rifle.
                  Wait.... so know shooting a bow 35 yards is the same difficulty as shooting an iron sighted rifle offhand at 900?

Comment

I like to shoot guns but prefer bow

Comment

Long range shooting is just another way to test your skill level. My dad thinks it's ridiculous that I hunt with a bow. Innovation has made bowhunting unnecessary to bring home game....he'd say it "Makes as much sense as riding a horse to work or wiping your *** with your hand". He doesn't understand "why" I would make killing a deer harder than it has to be. For those of you asking about "why" someone would shoot out to long range must also ask "why" would someone hunt with a bow at all....the challenge.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with man challenging himself. If there is, then we must all give up bowhunting because there are certainly easier ways to kill deer.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Long range shooting is just another way to test your skill level. My dad thinks it's ridiculous that I hunt with a bow. Innovation has made bowhunting unnecessary to bring home game....he'd say it "Makes as much sense as riding a horse to work or wiping your *** with your hand". He doesn't understand "why" I would make killing a deer harder than it has to be. For those of you asking about "why" someone would shoot out to long range must also ask "why" would someone hunt with a bow at all....the challenge.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with man challenging himself. If there is, then we must all give up bowhunting because there are certainly easier ways to kill deer.
                        Good reply. I had something similar typed out earlier, but just went ahead and hit the back button.

Comment

Wait.... so know shooting a bow 35 yards is the same difficulty as shooting an iron sighted rifle offhand at 900?
                          I never said anything about distance, re read the post. My point is you can’t compare a long range rifle rig off a bench with a hand held bow . How does that work?

Comment

Googling around on this topic to educate myself I found the below linked article. I thought it was pretty good and an interesting way to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                              Good reply. I had something similar typed out earlier, but just went ahead and hit the back button.
                              Trevor, listen.....It's always a good idea to just wait and see what I have to say and then agree with that. It ensures that you're never wrong and don't have to waste all that time typing and thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
                                Googling around on this topic to educate myself I found the below linked article. I thought it was pretty good and an interesting way to think about it.

http://www.huntfairchase.com/a-shot-too-far/
                                I don't buy that argument, because if I did....if any of us did....then we'd have to first admit that the easiest and fastest way to dispatch an animal is with a gun. That article talks at length about "responsibility to hunt ethically and that includes quick, assured, humane kills". Once again, there is no doubt that a gun does that faster and more assuredly than a bow, so to adhere to this thought, we have to give up bowhunting or be a hypocrite.

It's just another article telling other people what they should do and using a bunch of bull**** example to try to justify it.

Comment

Working...
                                X