Spoiled hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
    As a football coach I get very limited time in the woods. The cell camera has got me back into hunting. Kind of the reverse. I almost never get time to get out, but the pics coming in gives me a diversion and feel like I can be sort of active in it again.
    Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    I hate hunting all day and not seeing deer.

Cameras help drastically eliminate that from happening
    same here. they have saved me a lot of vacation time.

Comment

I guess I've never considered how using cameras has really impacted the way I hunt. It's nice to see what all is out there, but there's also something to be said about just taking what you're given on any given hunt. Although that's probably much easier for me to say given that I never see anything close to a trophy anyway.

I guess sometimes I'm so focused on waiting to see if what I saw on the camera to show up that I forget that there's more to the overall experience than that.

Comment

I have about 6 cameras. I quit using them. Takes the fun out of it for me.

Comment

I gave up cameras a couple years ago. They changed how I was hunting and I didn't like it. I like the mystery of what's going to show up. I also hunt a small property that I don't use feeders on. As I've got older it's more about being there and letting it happen than trying to make it happen. In the end it's your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter5 View Post
            Cell cams for me, they make me not want to go hunting sometimes because Im not seeing much at my feeder. I get disappointed at all the hard work Ive been putting into it and nothing is really working out for myself.
            The best part about the cell cameras though is like right now, my feeder decided to act up and hasn't been working for a week so I know I need to get back to fix it which is 3 hours away.
            Non cell cameras are always fun though because you have to wait and see and its always fun to look at the pics in the stand in hope to see a random big buck.
            Completely agree. Fed all year and the number of deer I'm seeing disappoints me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
              IMO it was the first generation of hunting TV, then social media after that, driving us to care so much more about presenting an image that we are successful hunters and to care more about inches of horns or antlers than the hunt itself.

If it weren't for that I suspect we wouldn't have so much drive for gadgets to make success more certain.

Good thing is we can ignore all that stuff and do our own thing for our own reasons.
              This is probably spot on. Society is obsessed with what image they put forward. Conforming to everyone's needs. But that's another topic all together.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                I gave up cameras a couple years ago. They changed how I was hunting and I didn't like it. I like the mystery of what's going to show up. I also hunt a small property that I don't use feeders on. As I've got older it's more about being there and letting it happen than trying to make it happen. In the end it's your choice.
                This is what I'd like to get back too. Or I guess I should say in to.

Comment

Back when there were no trail cameras, during the week I could at least fantasize about that big buck or fat doe that might show up on Saturday. With trail cameras all over the place I have a more realistic idea of what I might encounter which is not much. Trail cameras make it harder to hang on to my "hunter's optimism" (otherwise known as hunter's self-delusion)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
                    This could really become an even broader topic. What modern products have really gotten us away from the basics of why we came to enjoy hunting in the first place?

Road feeders, kids today have it too easy. Remember the days of Dad throwing a 50lb sack of corn in your lap with a corner out the window and a hole cut in it with his trusty pocket knife? Didn't weigh 70lbs yourself and you were trying your best to control how much corn came out! Good times!!

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                      Road feeders, kids today have it too easy. Remember the days of Dad throwing a 50lb sack of corn in your lap with a corner out the window and a hole cut in it with his trusty pocket knife? Didn't weigh 70lbs yourself and you were trying your best to control how much corn came out! Good times!!
                      For me it was hunting on a budget. Buy a bag a corn a week and hand corn through the week because I didnt have cash for a feeder. That was when I first got started. I was probably a sophomore in high school shooting an old browning compound with a 32inch draw that I had to figure out a way to shoot[emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Have you ever sat at a blind and then compared the pics the camera took during that time frame to what you actually saw from the blind? Cameras miss a lot of what is going on, including some animals that spend time right in front of them. Cameras just give us a general idea of what is going on at a location.

Comment

Yep don’t know how we made it without trail cameras. It definitely helps in game management . But you always have to remember just because a camera shows activity are the lack of doesn’t really show you the outcome of the hunt it’s hunting anything can happen. Deer maybe at a spot every single day until you set there . They can smell ya you can spook them when you walk in you just never know.

Comment

I have two cameras out because it keeps me going through the summer. Very few of the bucks i see during the summer will be there this time of year. Most of the bucks I see during season I have no pictures of. I will say the cameras only give a small glimpse of what is happening . I saw 4 deer saturday afternoon and non walked in front of the camera. Had I not been there I would have guessed that no deer were moving. I do like the not knowing what is going to come out . Kind of like a kid at Christmas wondering if you will get a new bicycle or a pair of socks.

Comment

I choose not to use trail cameras. The main reason is I don't want to know what I don't have. I want to get excited and be optimistic for every hunt.

Comment

Man I hate having a truck versus a horse or a compound bow versus a cedar branch with buffalo sinew string or cartridge rifle versus a ball musket or binoculars versus the naked eye...... it has taken all the fun out of hunting for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X