What to do when theres no Will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when theres no Will?

What do you do when someone passes and they have no will? My mother in law is in ICU currently and its not looking good. We dont know if there is a will and kinda doubt there is one. We live a pretty good ways apart and Im trying to help my wife out but not sure where to start as Ive never been through anything like this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look up Intestate laws.

Went thru this 12 - 13 years ago in Michigan with wife's dad and than step mom died.

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-06-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sorry I am no help. Prayers for MIL.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

No easy answer to that, will be state specific on estate probate. California will take 60%

Comment

The State has an intestacy law that lays out who a decedent's property goes to if he/she died without a will. A lawyer that handles estates will be able to guide your wife and the family through it if it becomes necessary.

Prayers sent for your MIL and the family.

Comment

Any other siblings besides your wife ?

Who has power of attorney ?

Comment

Does she live in Brown County?

You need to speak with an experienced probate attorney who practices in the area where she lives. If she’s in Brown County, there should be some lawyers in Brownwood and the surrounding areas. Wes (“The Crippler”) is a very good attorney in San Angelo and he may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Comment

it can get complicated.... sorry for your loss.

Comment

She lives in Travis county. Its only my wife and her brother. Theres NO "power of attorney" or anything. Everything she has, she owes alot on. Im trying to figure out what to do about all that. Everything she has, is of NO value to us. She has all kinds of debt and Im not sure how to deal with that. Im **** sure not paying it. I do know that.

Comment

With all respect:
                    Concentrate on the health and life issues at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
                      it can get complicated....
                      True that! Trying to help the son of a former coworker go through the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                        She lives in Travis county. Its only my wife and her brother. Theres NO "power of attorney" or anything. Everything she has, she owes alot on. Im trying to figure out what to do about all that. Everything she has, is of NO value to us. She has all kinds of debt and Im not sure how to deal with that. Im **** sure not paying it. I do know that.
                        My MIL passed unexpectedly about 7yrs ago. Same situation as yours. You’ll have to send all creditors a death certificate. The debt will not fall to you. My MIL’s car was not worth what she owed, they came and picked it up. It was actually fairly easy since there were no real assets to fight over.

Comment

Sorry to hear hope she gets better but if No will and if spouse is still alive spouse get 1/2 and kids get the other 1/2.

Comment

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/ES.201.htm

Comment

Good luck man. My grandmother died unexpectedly a couple years ago with no will or power of attorney. It was a major PITA to get taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                              X