Top 5% in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 5% in Texas

Just read an article and it got me to thinking. Article stated that if you make more than 216k (all in...so base and bonus) in Texas you are top 5% for the state and top 3% overall in the USA. I realize that’s good money, but nowadays with the cost of things and of course kids in college it just doesn’t go as far. I know I will get the majority of folks saying it’s all about priorities and debt to income ratio. But just wanted to hear what the green screen thinks? Just was an interesting article to me?

If you can't easily make it grossing $200k, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

5% is a longgggggg way from 1%,, and getting further and further away.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
        5% is a longgggggg way from 1%,, and getting further and further away.
        That’s a really good point, didn’t think about it that way.

Comment

some people are going to spend every dime they make and then some keeping up w the joneses...I don't understand it, but it happens. I was talking to someone that makes close to 200K between hub and wife and they cant pay their bills...and cannot figure out why

Comment

Between me and the wife we could make the 200 mark.. however we value time with our kids .. she is an rn and works part time . I work full time but do my best to get out of forced overtime.. I work my shift and that's plenty.. we max 401k and roth ira
            We have college savings for the kids .. the biggest thing is everything is paid for and we dont buy unnecessary stuff. If we get a new vehicle we only get 1 until its paid for.. it really depends on how you live..

We didnt have a lot when I was young but I learned how to have what was needed and not buy stuff that I couldn't afford.
            Last edited by jds247; 10-05-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

So are you thinking that you still don't have enough?

another thought is one should consider is 95% of all others out there have a whole lot less than you.

Comment

I thought everyone on here made $250k

Comment

I wouldn't know what to do with all that money!!

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    So are you thinking that you still don't have enough?

another thought is one should consider is 95% of all others out there have a whole lot less than you.
                    No sir, I am beyond blessed and we have plenty for sure. Just wanted to hear the thoughts of everyone after reading the article. But I also sure don’t think folks are “rich” because they break 200k a year either. Again, just was a very interesting article to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      I thought everyone on here made $250k
                      This is funny here!

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                        No sir, I am beyond blessed and we have plenty for sure. Just wanted to hear the thoughts of everyone after reading the article. But I also sure don’t think folks are “rich” because they break 200k a year either. Again, just was a very interesting article to me.
                        I agree. $200k isn't what it used to be and certainly doesn't make you "rich"

It's still plenty of money to easily live off of

Comment

I guess that's why .00005% of teachers, coaches, firemen, policeman, military are in the top 5%. I always wondered how folks afforded to do the things they do. I know a bunch of them are up to their eyeballs in debt too.

Comment

It's all about sacrificing and budgeting. Live within your means, and try to make sound risk v reward decisions. I make 50k/year gross and 25% of that is taken child support. My wife makes less than 30k/year gross. We have zero debt except our mortgage. I max out my Roth IRA and have the ability to have a deer lease. We don't eat beans and rice, but we dont have steak every night either. We act our age, not our shoe size when it comes to our finances.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

200k is a fortune to most of the population. 200k wouldn't pay for the TVs in some of the houses I've put systems in.
                              200k wouldn't last some people 6 months, and some could set themselves up for life with 200k.
                              But to think is 200k isn't much because of the cost of things now days is plum silly.
                              The things some people think they need, or should do, is ridiculous these days. Gotta have a nice car for the wife, gotta have internet, gotta have TV, gotta have a lease, gotta have a sxs, gotta pay for sons wedding , gotta have a new bow, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta.
                              The excess in this country is unbelievable and it's almost come to be expected. Good place to live, for now
                              Life used to be so much simpler.

Comment

Working...
                              X